Debarkation Process

wcsdkqh

Can anyone shed any light on the debarkation process when a ship arrives in port the prior day, and is in port overnight. I would like to book a 10:50am flight the day of debarkation in Barcelona. I would presume the ship would clear Customs the prior day and an earlier departure than would normally allowed would be possible. Under this scenario, would Regent still provide transfer to the airport or would I need to provide my own transportation? 

Thx for any info or experience others may have had.

8 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Can anyone shed any light on the debarkation process when a ship arrives in port the prior day, and is in port overnight. I would like to book a 10:50am flight the day of debarkation in Barcelona. I would presume the ship would clear Customs the prior day and an earlier departure than would normally allowed would be possible. Under this scenario, would Regent still provide transfer to the airport or would I need to provide my own transportation? 

We notified the reception desk several days before. Everything was arranged. We disembarked very early in the morning (5:00 am) in Amsterdam, after an overnight in port. Took out own transportation. Luggage was waiting in the terminal. I don’t remember how or when we cleared customs, but it was not an issue. We had an 8am flight. All went very smoothly. 
sheila

54 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

One other question... Do you still put your luggage out the night before?

This may depend on the port, as well as the time.  You should check with the reception desk about this when you make your arrangements of when to debark.

1 hour ago, wcsdkqh said:

We made a 10:05AM flight from Barcelona to Paris. This was after a TA on the Voyager in 2019, we did not overnight in Barcelona, the previous ports were Funchal and Cadiz so the ship would have cleared before Barcelona. I think we were scheduled to arrive at 7AM, we kept our luggage with us and were waiting to disembark by 7, we got off shortly after. We had to show passports in the terminal and that was it. Caught a taxi, no issues since we were among the first off. We were on Air France, business class, and had expedited passes thru the airport. Would I do that again? Probably not, but this time it worked. We discussed it with the executive concierge early on in the cruise.

Personal experience which applies to the Poster's question. 

Spouse and I anticipated this exact scenario several years ago.  That was a December, 2015 Mariner segment beginning at Cape Town and ending at Roi.  I have  commented on this matter on  other CC Threads, probably now-lost in history.  Will not repeat the great experiences we had at a three-day Safari segment at Addo Elephant National Preserve prior to boarding Mariner at Cape Town.   

Keeping it simple.   Sue and I had been to the debarkation Port--Rio, for extended time twice previously within the last eight years either on earlier cruises or just as tourists.  So, no need to stay at Rio for any time following conclusion of that Mariner cruise.  Coordinated with our knowledgeable TA way-back in late 2014 while planning this trip as to getting us off Mariner ASAP after arrival; and to airport for return to USA.   

And this while maintaining Business Class air segments from Rio to an intermediate USA airport; then transfer to a similar situation while flying to ultimate destination--SEA.  

The December 2015 cruise segment, as originally posted, showed arrival at Rio the day previous to debarkation.  That was key in our planning.  Regent scheduled this itinerary to allow passengers not-familiar with Rio to have an opportunity to schedule several local excursions after arrival at Port, and before debarkation the next day.  

Given our history--were able to obtain a Delta N/S from Rio to Atlanta to depart Rio at 2230H the same day as arrival at Rio.  Then, Red Eye flight to Atlanta; comfortable wait at Delta's Lounge for final transfer on a Business Class flight to final destination at SEATAC.

That was the plan. 

Then, reality while actually aboard Mariner in late December, 2015.   Medical emergencies affecting several passengers required changing schedule; canceling an intermediate stop at St. Helena, and proceeding with "All possible speed" (the Captain's description) to get us to Rio.  Result:  arrival at Rio about 18 hours' ahead of schedule.  So--there we were at Rio, way-early, anyway, the previous day.

Just waited out the situation.  Beastly-hot; warning from Regent to passengers to avoid any "independent visits off the ship" for reasons of security and local crime.  Thus--

Stayed safe aboard; nice early dinner at Compass Rose.  Had arranged with Regent staff to have crew assist us move our luggage from Suite to Taxi.  That taxi had been scheduled by Regent Concierge.   Regent Staff accompanied us off Mariner to taxi.   The fare to Airport had been pre-arranged.  Regent Staff Manager confirmed our fare to Airport.   (Gave the taxi driver an additional trip to safe transfer to Airport)

At an Airport Lounge for about two hours prior to boarding flight.   Everything worked out.  In fact, upon arrival at Atlanta (early on morning of December 23rd), were advised we had been "upgraded" to First Class for N/S to SEATAC. 

The key is prior planning with your TA  (hopefully with experience with Regent) and Regent Staff while onboard. 

Let me know if more details are needed.

[Hopefully, after having three 2020 cruises canceled due to COVID,  will be aboard Mariner at Barcelona in October 2021.] 

GOARMY!

10 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

Think I might have a slightly worse problem I’m on a London to Barcelona cruise (hopefully) in September, I was informed on the 23rd that our take off time for the return to London is 10:05 am. Going to fun, but hopefully we won’t be the only only ones catching this early flight. The good thing is we are overnighting in Barcelona so in my mind these should make it easier, but still a very early start.

7 hours ago, charltonkerry said:

Think I might have a slightly worse problem I’m on a London to Barcelona cruise (hopefully) in September, I was informed on the 23rd that our take off time for the return to London is 10:05 am. Going to fun, but hopefully we won’t be the only only ones catching this early flight. The good thing is we are overnighting in Barcelona so in my mind these should make it easier, but still a very early start.

And post Brexit you will not be fast tracked at Barcelona airport........... You could be leaving the ship 6-15/6-30am.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

Under this scenario, would Regent still provide transfer to the airport or would I need to provide my own transportation? 

Normally if you book your own flights, you book your own transfers.  Presumably this is a non-Regent flight arrangement?  I myself would keep my luggage and walk it off the ship, but you can take advice from the staff on that.

22 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

Nope, these will be Regent arranged flights, which is why I was asking if Regent will provide the transfers.

Last year we cruised Barcelona to Venice, arriving in Venice the day before debarkation. Our original flight out of Venice was canceled by the airline and the pickings were slim for replacement flights. Long story short we Regent presented some choices and we selected a 6:30am flight. Regent provided the transfer, leaving the ship at 4:00am. As I recall ours was the second bus of the morning. 

Re:  Very-early debarkation (on Debarkation Day):  April, 2017 Explorer BtB beginning at Miami via Barcelona and ending at Venice.  Explorer arrived at Venice early the previous morning which allowed a days' worth of excursions.  We had booked Regent-arranged flights through our TA.  Ours was a 0645H departure on BA to Heathrow; then N/S to SEATAC.   Several other couples had a similar early departure situation.  

So--Regent arranged a 0345H wake-up buffet breakfast service at Coffee Connection.  Staff facilitated baggage collection late the previous evening; plus making sure any bags brought to Coffee Connection were put on a separate bus to the Airport.   Our passenger van/bus left ship at about 0430H.  Ours was the first passenger group off the ship.  Regent staff stayed with us at the Airport and facilitated initial movement to the proper airline passenger check-in/baggage deposit area.  This left us with adequate time to clear the rather elaborate security screening procedures and get to our departure Gate.  

Nice touch by Regent to have that buffet breakfast option, which all appreciated. 

GOARMY!