Pre-departure Arrival for transatlantic cruise

5 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

How many days before departure do you arrive for a transatlantic cruise in December? The departure is from Fort Lauderdale.

RB

Been to Fort Lauderdale many times, with the first being 2 weeks loading citrus, so we arrive the day before.

• 4 weeks later...

Part of the fun of cruising from Fll is the time you have before the cruise.  We need at least two days and usually three days before departure.  There are so many great hotels and restaurants and if you are more adventurous you can always stay in Miami.  This is the best of both worlds.  There are so many fun things to do.  Why not turn it into two vacations?  December is a wonderful month to be in Fla.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

December is a wonderful month to be in Fla.  

Unless one is there with a cold front coming down from the North, the wind is off the ocean and is so strong that the beach umbrellas are tied down, beach chairs stacked/tied down, and i cannot sit on my oceanfront hotel's balcony longer than 20-30 minutes before I need to get inside.  Two of my three most recent December visits to Fort Lauderdale have been like that.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Unless one is there with a cold front coming down from the North, the wind is off the ocean and is so strong that the beach umbrellas are tied down, beach chairs stacked/tied down, and i cannot sit on my oceanfront hotel's balcony longer than 20-30 minutes before I need to get inside.  Two of my three most recent December visits to Fort Lauderdale have been like that.  

Keep trying...the temps in December are usually very nice.  

1 minute ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Keep trying...the temps in December are usually very nice.  

An interesting (to me) memory is a December pre-cruise afternoon on a cold, blustery day while I am sitting in the lobby of the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel.  I wear shorts while I am reading.  One of the Assistant Managers greets me.  She is dressed in long pants and a sweater.  Very pleasantly, she asks me where I am from.  I say:  Ohio.  "I thought it was from a Northern State."  Some might have taken that comment negatively.  But, there was an additional realization that those of us who are tourists do stand out at times.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

@rkacruiserHahaha, yep.  I remember the year before Hurricane Katrina doing a drive in late November along the Gulf Coast and arriving in Pensacola and frolicking on the beach in pants and a long sleeve t-shirt.  It apparently was during a cold snap as we saw several locals in town in parkas and toques, who looked at us Canadians strangely.  Even though we have very hot weather where I live during the late spring thru to early fall, we are used to cold winters.

• Like 1