Covid tests required COMING BACK into country after cruise

Hoopster95

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think having the vaccine will change things as doctor in UK said today doesnt change lock downs as we dont know those with vaccines arent carriers. Seems like cruising cant win, but we will see.

No, it seems like we can't win. You go ahead an get vaccinated but it doesn't make travel any easier for you. These rules were all invented before vaccines became available. They need a revision already and cruising hasn't even started.

• Like 1

I think they will want to see the vaccine is having an impact, even a small impact, before the idea of additional travel requirements will stop coming. 

I'm not convinced a 72 testing requirement before flying accomplishes a whole lot.  I guess it will catch some but there is a lot of opportunity to become infected in the 72 hours between taking the test and boarding the plane.  Testing isn't free where I am so at some point the costs of numerous tests to travel starts to become a hindrance.  Maybe that is the end game - the CDC can't ban airline travel but they can make it less convenient thereby reducing the desire to travel.  

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I think they will want to see the vaccine is having an impact, even a small impact, before the idea of additional travel requirements will stop coming. 

Yes, your explanation is certainly plausible. However, when you have a large population who are already skeptical of the vaccines, I think this just adds fuel to their fire. They view this as the "experts" not knowing if the vaccine is going to accomplish anything so they are certainly not more motivated to jump on board and stick out their arms.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:28 PM, Tree_skier said:

Any thoughts on if that is likely?  I'm thinking about my Hawaii cruise in May.

My son attempted Hawaii in August. 2 weeks before the trip Hawaii required a 14 day quarantine upon arrival. Do you know if that is still in effect?  So much changes day to day that I no longer can keep up. Fortunately he was able to move his flight and AirBnB to St Thomas which went on shelter in palace 2 days after he arrived. Planning a vacation has just become so stressful and cruising seems to be more complicated than most.  If I wasn't among the working class and was retired I would probably think differently.

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

My son attempted Hawaii in August. 2 weeks before the trip Hawaii required a 14 day quarantine upon arrival. Do you know if that is still in effect?  

It has been updated but I can't keep track. I believe the quarantine has been shortened to 10 days but they also have a way around it by taking a pre and post travel COVID test.  That was several weeks ao now though and they may have changed it yet again. We briefly considered Hawaii for spring break but have since just decided to stay closer to home until next fall at the earliest. 

• Like 1

reading the fine print of many of the countries testing requirement for entry, they want a PCR test 72 hours before arrival. That's not going to happen, around here a PCR test takes at a minimum of 4 days to get results. We were told 5-7 days so when our results came back in 4 days, the nurse was surprised. Now if the cruiselines and countries want a rapid test done within 72 hours, that's a horse of a different color.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

FDA authorized test kits available now on Amazon. 

DxTerity COVID-19 Saliva at-Home Collection Kit with Prepaid Express Return Shipping and Laboratory PCR Testing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q1TMY7X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_MJC9FbPVNRTSK

There's another one that just got authorized that's an instant at-home kit.  Was supposed to only cost $40 or so. I don't know if they're available yet or not.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2021 at 2:31 PM, wolfcathorse said:

reading the fine print of many of the countries testing requirement for entry, they want a PCR test 72 hours before arrival. That's not going to happen, around here a PCR test takes at a minimum of 4 days to get results. We were told 5-7 days so when our results came back in 4 days, the nurse was surprised. Now if the cruiselines and countries want a rapid test done within 72 hours, that's a horse of a different color.

My wife is now on day 8 of waiting for her PCR test. She never thought she had it, but had enough symptoms to where she knew she'd need a negative result to return to work (teacher).

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

My wife is now on day 8 of waiting for her PCR test. She never thought she had it, but had enough symptoms to where she knew she'd need a negative result to return to work (teacher).

A friend of mine whose partner is working triage in accident and emergency in a large hospital in Wales UK, has told me that they are no longer doing a PCR test on admission because the management team has stated that the  "PCR test is to inaccurate to be useful". So anyone with covid symptoms sent to one waiting area everyone else a different area. My friends partner is still waiting for the covid vaccine after 4 weeks whilst nursing on the frontline though the pharmacists and cleaners have had theirs.