Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

1 hour ago, tring said:

I am always looked upon as a pessimist though, and before anyone comments on that I will point out that I am quite happy with it as I am never disappointed 🙂

I love that quote Tring! One or two posters have called me pessimistic as well but, unfortunately, my predictions over the last year in regards to cruising have proved correct. I fully admit that my pessimism with regards to the speed that the vaccines could be rolled out was wrong, and I am absolutely delighted about that. If I may add a quote of my own, I am always happy being proved wrong, as it is such a rare occurrence I enjoy the novelty of it 😂 

On a serious note, I think you might be right about the reasons for the delay although frankly I just don’t see cruises being mentioned next week. I think people have to guard against interpreting any announcements as to when overseas holidays might re-start as applying to cruises. I feel that cruises may be treated as a very separate entity and may not resume until some months after other types of overseas holidays. For the same reasons that cruises were the first type of holiday to be stopped at the outset of the pandemic I fear that they will be the last to recommence as it starts to come to an end. I could envisage a situation where those who have been vaccinated might be allowed to do round Britain cruises or cruises to nowhere by the summer, but I fear that overseas cruises are likely to be off until late summer at the very earliest. And that, I think, is optimistic. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I think Moley has proved his info is very useful so I believe May is gone. 

April 21 is still the latest on P&O website.

As I posted NCL have just announced a cruise pause through May 21 and I have no doubt P&O will probably announce the same next week.

Screenshot_20210216_155802_com.android.chrome.jpg

Just now, grapau27 said:

As I posted NCL have just announced a cruise pause through May 21 and I have no doubt P&O will probably announce the same next week.

Yes we all know this, my point is that your point is already known. It’s not a case of ‘will they announce May cancelled’ it’s a case of ‘when will they announce May cancelled’. 

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

If I recall correctly, don’t they cancel in batches of around 2 months or so at a time? Makes sense from a workload and cash flow perspective. If so, I suspect that the next cancellation will be into June and then in around April they will cancel to August. Hopefully that would then be the end of it, but I wouldn’t be betting on it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joeecco said:

Yes we all know this, my point is that your point is already known. It’s not a case of ‘will they announce May cancelled’ it’s a case of ‘when will they announce May cancelled’. 

I posted earlier that I think P&O will wait until Boris announces his road map next week which answered your query.

NCL have come out in the last couple of hours to say their cruises are paused through May21 which I posted for anyone who is interested because I think P&O will follow suit but as yet their website still says April21.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

If I recall correctly, don’t they cancel in batches of around 2 months or so at a time? Makes sense from a workload and cash flow perspective. If so, I suspect that the next cancellation will be into June and then in around April they will cancel to August. Hopefully that would then be the end of it, but I wouldn’t be betting on it. 

That is very likely Selbourne and my thoughts too but until P&O officially make any further cancellations to answer another posters question we just have to wait and see.

Just now, wowzz said:

I see that the Kranke woman has more or less put the block on foreign holidays for the Scots this year.

That will be interesting to try and enforce, if cruises finally start again from Southampton.  

Yes, I saw her announce that and wondered if others will emulate (or not).

It feels, to me, that we should sacrifice foreign travel until next summer.  We can’t keep repeating cycles of mind-numbing lockdown, a few weeks of anything goes and then inexorable re-infection leading to more lockdown

Even the PM seems to be thinking this, saying there can’t be another lockdown.  If there can’t be another lockdown then this, awful, winter lockdown has to be made to work.  We can’t clear this island and then head off round the world, bringing back re-infection 

I know this won’t be a universally popular view.  I don’t like the prospect any more than anyone else does 

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

with the way vaccinations are going in Europe, I don't think any of us will be going there.

For the first time in 18 years we have no cruises  for this year and reluctantly I say there will be no cruising this year imo.

I hope I am wrong and will book a last minute cruise if they are allowed.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

with the way vaccinations are going in Europe, I don't think any of us will be going there.

Although you could argue, that if you have had your two vaccinations,  why should you be banned from going to Europe? 

I have to agree with the majority that cruises are unlikely this year. There may be short UK destination only cruises which wouldn't appeal to me, I want sun. So my Ventura August Med cruise is very doubtful, I will take a refund of my low deposit. That leaves my Iona cruise to the Canaries in February 22, what is the consensus on that one ?

• Like 2

Just now, grapau27 said:

I think it is Europe's populations lack of vaccinations that will restrict travel for us to Europe.

But given that those from the UK will  be protected, why cannot they travel, regardless of the  vaccination situation in Europe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobstheboy said:

I have to agree with the majority that cruises are unlikely this year. There may be short UK destination only cruises which wouldn't appeal to me, I want sun. So my Ventura August Med cruise is very doubtful, I will take a refund of my low deposit. That leaves my Iona cruise to the Canaries in February 22, what is the consensus on that one ?

Hopefully by next year your cruise to the Canaries will be okay.