14-Day Far East Discovery

stickey_mouse

"I would probably prefer Japan as well, as it's a country I'm dying to visit. However, I can only go early in the season, and I'm worried it might be too chilly. Plus, does one get a pretty thorough overview of Japan from a cruise? Just wondering. "

I have been to Japan 4 times, 3 by ship totaling 18 port days, and once on a 2 week land tour.  I have signed up for the April 11, 2022 30 day back to back which does 12 port days in Japan and then the TP via Alaska to Vancouver.  I will not have seen all of Japan even after that.   I mostly travel by myself when ashore. I research what is available in each port and then use Google Maps to find out how to get there.  Google Maps is terrific. You put in the anticipated date and time of travel  and you get the route, the bus, metro or train numbers, time of departure etc. I print out the directions to take with me because in some parts of Asia you can't get the English version and in China you can't get Google at all. If Google tells me that they can't get me to where I want to go, which they did twice on the last cruise, I sign up for the shore excursion. However, it was on my first Grand Asia cruise which stopped at only 4 ports that I fell in love with Japan.

• Like 1

We always wanted to do this cruise.  Until we spent five winters in Thailand, with trips to Cambodia and Vietnam.   We realized how very much we would miss in those countries by doing a cruise or by doing a quick cruise tour.

A Japan cruise is on our bucket list.

The OP was right about the  flight times.  It is 18 hours straight for us to Singapore.   23 hours to Bangkok with at least on stop.   Long way to go for 14 days.  We typically go for 2 months in our winter.

Edited by iancal

1 hour ago, iancal said:

We always wanted to do this cruise.  Until we spent five winters in Thailand, with trips to Cambodia and Vietnam.   We realized how very much we would miss in those countries by doing a cruise or by doing a quick cruise tour.

A Japan cruise is on our bucket list.

The OP was right about the  flight times.  It is 18 hours straight for us to Singapore.   23 hours to Bangkok with at least on stop.   Long way to go for 14 days.  We typically go for 2 months in our winter.

Thanks. I’m only asking about the quality of the itinerary. I understand it will miss much of the sights, but that’s true for virtually any cruise to land comparison. And as for the comments regarding the long travel times- I am aware. But I am a 36 year old professional who can’t be away for 6 weeks at a time. Congratulations to all who can afford to be away like that, but I am not one of them. Thanks for the comment, though. 

• Like 4

On 1/13/2021 at 5:45 PM, stickey_mouse said:

Hello,

I would like opinions on HAL’s 14-day Far East Discovery itinerary (Singapore to Hong Kong). Did you enjoy it? How does it rate compared to the other 14 (or so) day Asian itineraries? Thanks!

Just filter out those lucky enough to have unlimited time. I am still working as well, and I would certainly travel to Asia for a two-week cruise, although probably not anything shorter than that!  Do be aware though, if flying from the US, that the jet lag can be pretty bad in both directions.  It would be a good idea to arrive a few days early to acclimate, if possible, so that you aren't miserable on the first couple of days of your cruise.

I haven't done this particular cruise on HAL but have done one that is similar with a different line. The itinerary is heavily weighted to Vietnam -- which is interesting, definitely, and if that's an area of focus for you then you'll see some highlights. But as a sampler of SE Asia, it doesn't have as much variety as some other itineraries. On the positive side it has an overnight in Bangkok. Koh Samui is mostly a beach stop (not my thing). 

I assume HAL offers some sort of arrangement on this itinerary to get to Angkor Wat. These excursions when offered by the ship generally mean that you miss some day or two of the regularly scheduled itinerary to fly to Siem Reap and back. They are also quite expensive. What many recommended instead (and what I did) is to arrive a few days ahead in Asia and do Angkor Wat before the cruise -- you can either arrange it yourself or get a 3-day package. Although I did it from Bangkok and you are starting from Singapore.... At any rate, if you go to this part of the world, it should really be top of your list to see.

With regard to Japan, how early in the season is early?  I think there is so much to see in Japan that at a minimum one would need to make two trips (or one long one).  So far I have done two land trips that ahve focusde on some of the famous and historic sites that require several days each -- mainly based in Tokyo and Kyoto with day trips to other places. But last year I was booked on a 14-day cruise around Japan during cherry blossom season in April which I felt would not only a) allow me to visit places that I would be unlikely or less likely to go to on a land tour and b) experience some of the Japanese culture around the cherry blossom festivals. What I like about the HAL itinerary is that it circumnavigates several of the islands and more or less "follows" the cherry blossom season from south to north.

Although that cruise was canceled (thank you COVID!), it is one I plan to rebook once travel is running reliably again.

• Like 1

We did this in the other direction a few years ago.  It was a wonderful cruise. Just be prepared that some of the cities are quite a drive away from where you will dock unless on a smaller ship than HAL has. We also really enjoyed Singapore and Hong Kong. Not so sure of the latter since China came down with the hammer.

We met a gentleman in Hue who was, along with his wife, on a Gate1 tour.  They had done a cruise two years prior but returned for a land tour.  

They loved the cruise.  But his first comment to me after I asked him about Gate 1 was how more they were able to see and enjoy Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.   Completely different experiences and travel of course.

Anyone who finds cruise line tours to Angkor Wat expensive can do their own tour very easily and at a much lower cost.  Including a private guide for two days.  Air and hotels are very inexpensive to arrange on your own, as are guides.

On 1/15/2021 at 6:04 AM, stickey_mouse said:

I would probably prefer Japan as well, as it's a country I'm dying to visit. However, I can only go early in the season, and I'm worried it might be too chilly. Plus, does one get a pretty thorough overview of Japan from a cruise? Just wondering. 

We were lucky enough to do this in 2019,  we went early and spent time in Hiroshima and Kyoto prior to our cruise around Japan and stayed in Tokyo afterwards.    So we were there from early April  Until May.   The weather was typical spring,  some beautiful sunny days and some cooler with very little rain.  That cruise gives you a good over view of Japan, and reaches some different areas and the cherry blossoms were amazing.  Highly recommended!  

We can’t wait to go back,  although we would like to see the fall colours next time.  We too prefer to go for longer now, but when we were working we would travel internationally  at times for 7 to 10 days.  Anything is better than nothing!  

3 hours ago, AllureOfVacation said:

Does HAL typically offer these kind of 14day Asia trips every year?

For the last few year, yes other than 2020 and who knows when they will start again of course.  

I also wanted to add the flight to Japan from the west coast is only around 9 or so hours, we were pleasantly surprised!  Much easier than Singapore.  

4 hours ago, john2003 said:

The original poster was ending in Hong Kong. I don't think 14 days from Hong Kong will get you to Japan. That is a different cruise.

The op also asked about Japan.  But actually there are 14 day cruises Hong Kong to Tokyo and the reverse.  

14-Day China Explorer

SHIP Noordam
DEPARTSHONG KONG, CHINA
ARRIVESYOKOHAMA (TOKYO), JAPAN
JAN 31, 2022

FEB 14, 2022
MORE DATES & FARES