The Retreat

WorldTraveler151208

I am considering booking a cruise in the The Reatreat on Celebrity Eclipse for Fall 2021. I have a few questions because this would be my first time in Retreat and since it is quite a new concept I couldn't find much information about it.

The offer says that Premium drinks are included in the price of the cruise, but what exactly does that mean?  Are there any drinks that still charge extra?  Does this apply to all the bars on the ship?  Is the minibar in the cabin included as well?

There is also a credit for shore excursions in the Retreat package, but how much is it, more or less?

Does anyone have any information on the refurbishment of the Eclipse?  The website says that soon the ship will be included in the "Revolution" program, but will it be this year?  Of course I'd rather go after the refurbishment when the cabins, the Retreat lounge and sun deck are refreshed.

Can anyone share his own experiences and say if The Retreat, also on the older ships before the Edge class, is worth the money?  Am I right to think this is a similar experience to NCL's The Haven?

Drinks up to $15 are included in the premium package.  There are a few that cost more than this and you only pay the difference + gratuity. All bars are included.  The suite mini bar is not, unless you are in a Royal Suite or higher.  Some have reported that the butler will provide you with water, soft drinks and beer but we don't have any experience with that since we book RS or above.

The Eclipse has not been refurbished and does not have the Retreat Sun Deck. The lounge is still called Michaels Club. Last I heard the refurbishment is on hold.  We do think booking a suite is worth it after sailing in our 1st one in 2012. 

I'm also wondering what the shore excursion credit is, unless it is part of the on board credit.

• Like 1

The Retreat bookings under AI all come with the Indulge package included.   This includes $400 pp of OBC which is advertised as split $200 for shore excursions and $200 for other onboard spend.   In my recent booking it shows a total of $800 (2 people) OBC in my cruise planner.   It looks like you could spend it all on shore ex or all on dining and in reality there is no split but don't count on it.

Also the $400 pp is for sailings 10 nights and longer.   $300 for 7-9 night

Here is the text of what's included.  The prepaid tips referrers to gratuities on the drink package.  Regular gratuities are included in the AI fare.  When booking the Retreat Indulge is included and you are not charged the $60 pp/pd mentioned here.

Indulge, which is $60 a day per person, includes premium drinks, prepaid tips, unlimited Stream Wi-Fi for two guests, plus shore excursion credits ranging from $200 to $400, depending on the length of your vacation.

6 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

In my recent booking it shows a total of $800 (2 people) OBC in my cruise planner.   It looks like you could spend it all on shore ex or all on dining and in reality there is no split but don't count on it.

We just booked our first suite on Celebrity yesterday, and my Celebrity Vacation Planner specifically said that the $400 pp (ours is a 14-day cruise) is a shipboard credit that can be spent on anything -- shorex, specialty dining, the spa, etc.  Consistent with that, our booking confirmation shows $400 pp as "OBC" -- it doesn't restrict its use or specify how it must be used.  

We're very much looking forward to trying out the suite experience on Celebrity.

I totally love Celebrity suite perks Luminae is best suite restaurant fantastic service and food and suite lounge Micheals has great service and drinks. Have not done one that has aged the retreat yet, what I don’t like is retreat area is two decks above pools , prefer not to climb two decks to use the pool. Might consider msc yacht club they have a great ship within ship , loved Seaside they had fantastic lounge area with baby grand piano and live music most of the night, outside area has pool , restaurant, hot tubs and lots of chairs, drink package and WiFi is included. 

14 minutes ago, George C said:

Might consider msc yacht club they have a great ship within ship , loved Seaside they had fantastic lounge area with baby grand piano and live music most of the night, outside area has pool , restaurant, hot tubs and lots of chairs, drink package and WiFi is included. 

Actually, I know Msc Yacht Club very well, I cruise very often in the YC and I love it.  However, Msc is mainly focused on the Mediterranean and Caribbean, and I want to explore some regions that they do not offer, such as Alaska or the Mexican Riviera.  I have also tried the Haven by NCL and I liked it too, but now I want to give the Retreat a chance. I am generally a fan of the Ship within ship concept, which allows to be on a large ship, yet in a more intimate atmosphere.

The pool is not that important for me. It's just a pity that the Retreat Lounge is so poorly located compared to the panoramic Top Sail Lounge on Msc, or the Horizon Lounge on NCL Bliss and Joy.  It's always my favorite spot on a ship. It’s weird that on the Edge Class there isn’t any panoramic lounge at all.

• Like 1

From the nature of your question it appears you may not have cruised on Celebrity before.  The concept of the Retreat was introduced with the Edge class, currently  ships Edge and Apex.  On these ships the Retreat is a dedicated space for suite guests contained  in a space on  3 decks at the bow of the ship. Deck 16 contains the Retreat Sundeck, Deck 15 has the Retreat lounge and Deck 12 has Luminae at the Retreat (dedicated dining room).  The other ships have been and will be retrofitted to reflect the Retreat concept.  As mentioned, the Eclipse was scheduled for dry dock; however, it was postponed and there is no indication of when it will be rescheduled. It does have a dedicated lounge, Michael's Club, and Luminae the dedicated restaurant.

The all inclusive pricing does include the premium drink package, which does have a price ceiling at $15. Any drink priced above that will be charged at the difference between the price and $15.  This would apply at all bars.  However, it has been my experience that if there is something you desire and you discuss it with the bar staff in Michael's, sometimes things happen.  In my case I enjoy a cigar and scotch once, twice or thrice a sailing and prefer a nice peaty scotch.  All I could find mentioned on the ship was Laphroaig, so I inquired in Michael's as to options and an Oban was suggested, and I indicated I was thinking more of a Lagavulin, and a Talisker was suggested; and a deal was struck.  Don't know where it came from, don't know where it went, but I did make a serious dent in the bottle over two nights.  And the point is - I was not charged extra in Michael's, but I would have been elsewhere on the ship.

As mentioned, the minibar is not included, but your butler will ask your preference and will stock it with water, soft drinks, and beer.

I have enjoyed Michael's on many voyages, and the staff are outstanding.  I have only sailed on 1 ship which was retrofitted with the Retreat deck, and it was a great place to enjoy the sun, but it had no water feature. 

As far  as being worth it on a M or S class ship we have sailed multiple  times with "just" Luminae and Michael's and have not been disappointed.

Edited by ScubesDad
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

I am generally a fan of the Ship within ship concept, which allows to be on a large ship, yet in a more intimate atmosphere.

I can't speak to the new Edge-class ships, but suites on Celebrity's S-class (including the Eclipse) and M-class are not "a ship within a ship" -- suites are not located in an exclusive area unto themselves with a suite restaurant, lounge, etc.  They are located all over the ship, and have exclusive access to a dining room (Luminae), a sundeck, and a lounge.  But again, these are in different parts of the ship.  In essence, "the Retreat" is a class of service and amenities, not one specific location.  

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

Having done The Retreat on both the Edge and the Silhouette, I'd vote for experiencing The Retreat on the Edge class. The retreat lounges on the Edge class are superior to the retro-fitted lounges and the retreat pool area is superior also. If you want to try both older and newer ships, do the older ones first. We went the other way and couldn't stop comparing how much better the retreat was on the Edge class to the retro fit. We definitely enjoyed both but liked the Edge class better.

• Like 2