Re-fare question

bd1958

To All, 

We have generally been late purchasers, often inside the last payment window, so what we paid was what we got.  This time, given the current state of things, we've reserved for March of 2022.  I've seen discussions on this site of price drops and re-fare negotiations with HAL.  When I booked I assumed the price was a bit high and assumed, based on what I've observed over the years, that the price would drop between $600 to $800pp before it was over, maybe more with less perks.  I've just noticed a drop of $400 with what seems like the same perks.  Is it recommended to call my PCC and request a re-fare now?  If it drops further can I go back for another round?

Thanks very much.

Bruce

One thing to consider is HAL has different fares, some of those fares are not changeable.  Always be sure you book a changeable fare even if it is higher.  Yes, you can take advantage of any sale up to your final payment date.  After the final payment date you might be able to negotiate, not likely but maybe.

Amended:  after the official final payment date.  Even if you pay in advance you can reface

Edited by Mary229

Yes, call your PCC now and ask to be refared to the new deal.  As others have mentioned, be certain you understand the entire package AND that the new fare does not have a cancel or change cost in the future.  

You can (I do this all the time) refare multiple times on the same reservation.

On 1/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, bd1958 said:

To All, 

We have generally been late purchasers, often inside the last payment window, so what we paid was what we got.  This time, given the current state of things, we've reserved for March of 2022.  I've seen discussions on this site of price drops and re-fare negotiations with HAL.  When I booked I assumed the price was a bit high and assumed, based on what I've observed over the years, that the price would drop between $600 to $800pp before it was over, maybe more with less perks.  I've just noticed a drop of $400 with what seems like the same perks.  Is it recommended to call my PCC and request a re-fare now?  If it drops further can I go back for another round?

Thanks very much.

Bruce

Yes!  Like a buffet....go back as many times as you want!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

Can  on-line bookings be re-fared as well or does it have to be through a PCC or TA? We we be using a PCC for our cruise (first time)  but curious. 

As long as the fare you selected was a changeable fare you can change it.  If you made the reservation online a quick call to HAL can take care of it.

40 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

As long as the fare you selected was a changeable fare you can change it.  If you made the reservation online a quick call to HAL can take care of it.

I only seem to be offered 2 fares - Best Price and the View and Veranda price -so I assume that would mean we would have to add the optional Cancellation Protection package (seems to be about 5% of the cruise fare) to refare - so we would effectively just be cancelling and rebooking for a refare?

59 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I only seem to be offered 2 fares - Best Price and the View and Veranda price -so I assume that would mean we would have to add the optional Cancellation Protection package (seems to be about 5% of the cruise fare) to refare - so we would effectively just be cancelling and rebooking for a refare?

No.  You do not have to purchase the insurance before final payment nor do you have to purchase it with HAL. Your booking is not cancelled at all, just a price adjustment.  However, the promos offered may be different than when you originally booked, so the new promos come into effect.  You have to calculate the cost of the new fare with the cost of any lost perks.  Sometimes it does not pay to switch.  However, if it’s under the same promos offered, then just your cruise fare will change to the lower fare.  Just keep watching the fares frequently and do a mock booking to see if you can get a lower price.

Edited by Lady Arwen
Spell

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Can  on-line bookings be re-fared as well or does it have to be through a PCC or TA? We we be using a PCC for our cruise (first time)  but curious. 

It does not matter how you originally booked.  However, if you used a travel agent, they will have to contact HAL on your behalf.

18 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

No.  You do not have to purchase the insurance before final payment nor do you have to purchase it with HAL. Your booking is not cancelled at all, just a price adjustment.  However, the promos offered may be different than when you originally booked, so the new promos come into effect.

Thanks. Just got off the phone with the PCC and are booked. Rather pleasantly surprised there was no attempt to sell us the insurance anyway (-: 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Just emailed my PCC about a free wifi promotion added to the View and Verandah offer.  15 minutes later the new confirmation was in my email box!

Did your original fare increase?  I just did a mock booking and to get the wifi added my fare increased by $500.00!  I would love to get it free!

We don’t seem to be able to refare in Australia, whether before or after final payment. I have always been told that I would have to cancel and rebook which usually involves a penalty.

Has this been the experience of others in Australia?

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Did your original fare increase?  I just did a mock booking and to get the wifi added my fare increased by $500.00!  I would love to get it free!

Same fare - but remember that I just booked 48 hours prior.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I tried to add the free wifi to my View & Verandah booking but it would have taken away the free gratuities I had received when I booked before January 2.  So, I stuck with the free gratuities. 

I suspect that by 2022 WiFi will be free fleet wide or extremely cheap.  CCL upgraded the service they are using to a state of the art, fast and cheap service. No one can comment on the quality of that service as it was to be commence in the spring of 2020.    So don't despair.  

8 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I tried to add the free wifi to my View & Verandah booking but it would have taken away the free gratuities I had received when I booked before January 2.  So, I stuck with the free gratuities. 

Thats a better perk IMO.  You experience points out the fact that you have to take the current offer in total and give up what you had.  No picking and choosing.

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Thats a better perk IMO.  You experience points out the fact that you have to take the current offer in total and give up what you had.  No picking and choosing.

I agree.  Internet prices will go down and gratuity charges will go up. 

ARGH!  I do not even like to think about Internet on HAL.  We cruise many different lines and HAL is about the only line where we find ourselves paying good money for awful Internet service.  Many cruise lines have vastly improved their Internet service (and it is often free for frequent cruisers or those in higher cabin categories) but HAL service remained the pits prior to COVID.  On most of our HAL cruises we find ourselves relying on shore-based Internet service (with T-Mobile we have included Internet jsut about everywhere in the world) and keep our use on the ship to a bare minimum.  

Hank

17 hours ago, DinkyDee67 said:

We don’t seem to be able to refare in Australia, whether before or after final payment. I have always been told that I would have to cancel and rebook which usually involves a penalty.

Has this been the experience of others in Australia?

One time I saw a price reduction here in Canada, so I wrote and told my DSIL in Perth, WA about it.  I wasn't sure if she could get it, but her travel agent managed to arrange the change for her.  I'm not sure if it was just a re-fare or cancellation and rebook.