Cruise line sponsored shore excursions only

Hangman115

On 1/21/2021 at 9:40 AM, sydbarrett said:

If, in fact, that becomes the policy, you will not be allowed to walk around port on your own This could substantially increase the cost of the trip so it will be a dealbreaker for some. I am definitely one who prefers to make my own arrangements. I find third party tours to be both cheaper and more fulfilling. I will keep an open mind, though.

If this is the case as well, only those getting off at a port should be responsible for the port fees as well. Instead of charging everyone for the already inflated excursions, the 2,000 getting off the ship are responsible for the fees, not all 4,000 passengers. That will add up as well.

• Like 1

Most of the replies are based on pre COVID experiences with ship vs. independent excursions.  I'll suggest that this paradigm is useless.

None of us know what future excursions of any kind will look like.  It's possible that the future ship sponsored tours will look the previous independent tours in number of guests.  It's possible that future independent tours will be more susceptible to viral transmission or have other safety deficiencies  - we just don't know.

Like many of the topics on CC lately, most answers are pure speculation and guess work.  Look back on  some of the earliest COVID predictions and they are 98% wrong. { Including some of my own.}

1 minute ago, evandbob said:

Most of the replies are based on pre COVID experiences with ship vs. independent excursions.  I'll suggest that this paradigm is useless.

None of us know what future excursions of any kind will look like.  It's possible that the future ship sponsored tours will look the previous independent tours in number of guests.  It's possible that future independent tours will be more susceptible to viral transmission or have other safety deficiencies  - we just don't know.

Like many of the topics on CC lately, most answers are pure speculation and guess work.  Look back on  some of the earliest COVID predictions and they are 98% wrong. { Including some of my own.}

This isn't entirely true. Some of the information is based on what took place on the limited number of European cruises that took place in late summer/early fall of 2020 in the Mediterranean, which was post-COVID. These cruises mandated only ship-sponsored excursions (and enforced them by sending at least 2-3 sets of passengers home who left their groups when ashore).  From the descriptions I saw in reviews, at least some of these excursions were smaller, folks said they were less expensive (but they also seemed to be less comprehensive), and there were a variety of options.

I am not convinced that what was described on these excursions was a fool-proof way of avoiding contact with anyone outside their bubble, but it certainly limited contacts -- as well as significantly limiting options.

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This isn't entirely true. Some of the information is based on what took place on the limited number of European cruises that took place in late summer/early fall of 2020 in the Mediterranean, which was post-COVID. These cruises mandated only ship-sponsored excursions (and enforced them by sending at least 2-3 sets of passengers home who left their groups when ashore).  From the descriptions I saw in reviews, at least some of these excursions were smaller, folks said they were less expensive (but they also seemed to be less comprehensive), and there were a variety of options.

I am not convinced that what was described on these excursions was a fool-proof way of avoiding contact with anyone outside their bubble, but it certainly limited contacts -- as well as significantly limiting options.

Your example of a limited number of European cruises that had only ship sponsored excursions only serves to show that it is one possibility that other lines may or may not adapt.  Often new procedures are tested in small trial experiments and some will, and some will not, get adapted to the larger scope of that business.  Other trials may morph into completely different specs than originally proposed.

I'll just repeat that no one knows what form future excursions will look like, and that includes the cruise execs themselves.. Perhaps their guiding principle will be what makes the most profit for the cruise line, not safety of its passengers.

5 hours ago, evandbob said:

I'll just repeat that no one knows what form future excursions will look like, and that includes the cruise execs themselves.. Perhaps their guiding principle will be what makes the most profit for the cruise line, not safety of its passengers.

Maybe the cruise lines will do what makes the most profit but at the same time try to claim that it is being done for the safety of the passengers. Requiring only cruise line excursions might fit that perfectly. JMHO

• Like 1

I've been stressing about the mandated ship excursions for a while now.  Our 2020 Baltic cruise was April 2020 and postponed to May 2021.  We ended up saving money on the change, with the 125% FCC (MSC) and got what I consider better dates (later into Spring).  But, originally, I booked a local vendor for a 2 day Russia tour for $212pp.  MSC is offering a 2 day tour for $379pp.  And I 100% believe it's about using Covid to increase profits, rather than passenger safety. 

I fully understand that the cruise lines are busy and don't have the staff to update excursion descriptions, but most of the ones I'm reading include "time in port to shop local vendors."  So how is a supervised tour any safer than if I simply exit the ship on my own, wearing my mask to walk to that same vendor?

My issue is only half about price.  I spent months planning our days, all on foot, walking for miles.  We're a young couple that cover a lot of ground in very short port days and being tied to a charter bus and a tour guide and moving at everyone else's pace is always very difficult for us.

We both desperately want to go, since this trip has been planned for over 2 years, but even with some OBC from not using the full 125% FCC, we won't come close to covering even the 2 days in Russia.  Bare minimum, we're looking at $702 in excursions per person.  And that's giving up a port we've already been to.  This was our chance to see 9 countries in 12 days.  So our decision (assuming it is our decision) is to either go, and enjoy the chance to have a slightly empty/quiet ship, but with a high cost of cruise excursions, or wait it out for who knows how many years until we can explore on our own... and that's assuming cruise ship excursions don't become the new norm once the lines see how much money they're bringing in. 

Thanks to the OP for the topic.  If nothing else, I feel less alone in my thoughts about all this.

• Like 1

For us, who are admittedly cynical at the best of times, the thought of the cruise lines stepping back from mandating their expensive shore excursions being the only option at ports is not going to be a palatable choice for them.  They finally have a lucrative way to claw back a fraction of their losses and will be reluctant to give that up easily.  We are frequent cruisers and the thought of not going into a local town and exploring and eating on our own is a deal breaker for us.  We currently have 2 replacement 2022 cruises booked for cancelled 2020 and 2021 cruises and will back away from them both if those restrictions are still in play.  

Edited by Irish Blue
  • Like 4