NCL is repatriating crew

POA1

Not sure if I can post the link, since it's from Cruise Hive, but here are the basics. This does not bode well for my hope of a test cruise out of Fort Lauderdale any time soon.

Norwegian Cruise Line Makes Difficult Decision on Crew Members

“This extended delay in cruise voyages is longer than we anticipated when we brought crew back to our ships in late 2020 for a potential return to service in early 2021.”

“The shift in our operational time period has required us to adjust our ship manning plan for the revised return to service timing.”

“While it’s a difficult decision to repatriate certain crew members to their home countries, it’s tough decisions like this that have been made to ensure that safety is prioritized above all else.”

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-makes-difficult-decision-on-crew-members/46409

Edited by POA1
  • Thanks 2

We didn't know what we didn't know in 2020.  We don't know what we don't know in 2021.  The beat goes on.....

All we can do is to speculate, hope, prognosticate.  

"Hope springs eternal" is a cliche, I know.  Yet, it is a comforting one, at least for me.

For NCL to repatriate their crew, they are a bit late to the "party".  Given that it is earnings reporting season for Corporations, would doing this have anything to do with their decision?  

The issue cruise lines will face is where to go. Many - many - countries aren’t letting cruises in this year at all imo and 2022 is skeptical for many. 

It’ll be the Caribbean, and that’s about it I think, that allows cruises before 2022. The virus isn’t going away this year. 

11 hours ago, sppunk said:

The issue cruise lines will face is where to go. Many - many - countries aren’t letting cruises in this year at all imo and 2022 is skeptical for many. 

It’ll be the Caribbean, and that’s about it I think, that allows cruises before 2022. The virus isn’t going away this year. 

It is also possible that Europe and Asia will have cruises, but not welcome North Americans aboard. And the Caribbean countries may have some restrictions, too. I guess only time will tell how this all plays out.

20 hours ago, POA1 said:

Not sure if I can post the link, since it's from Cruise Hive, but here are the basics. This does not bode well for my hope of a test cruise out of Fort Lauderdale any time soon.

Norwegian Cruise Line Makes Difficult Decision on Crew Members

“This extended delay in cruise voyages is longer than we anticipated when we brought crew back to our ships in late 2020 for a potential return to service in early 2021.”

“The shift in our operational time period has required us to adjust our ship manning plan for the revised return to service timing.”

“While it’s a difficult decision to repatriate certain crew members to their home countries, it’s tough decisions like this that have been made to ensure that safety is prioritized above all else.”

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cruise-line-makes-difficult-decision-on-crew-members/46409

In my opinion this is NOT good.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Himself said:

In my opinion this is NOT good.  

Considering it takes time to get them home, a month or so to get them back plus training time and trial cruise time, NCL must not think cruising will happen until the fall or later.

Edited by KirkNC

13 hours ago, sppunk said:

Last August (2020) after enduring several cancellations we felt optimistic and booked the November 2021 Australia Circumnavigation cruise. Now I feel much less than 50/50 that this will happen even though I expect we'll be vaccinated well before then. The Australian Health Minister (browsing through "health.au.gov/news/health-alerts") was talking in January 2021 about not allowing foreign travel, other than a possible regional bubble, until very late if at all in 2021.

We as travelers may get vaccinated and feel ready to go even though our country may be far from fully vaccinated (I'm referring mostly to the US with this comment). The destination countries may show much better numbers, but they will still be very careful about allowing incoming foreign travel this year.  At this point I think 2021 is going to be another bust, unless you're willing to try a 7-day Caribbean cruise.

2 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Last August (2020) after enduring several cancellations we felt optimistic and booked the November 2021 Australia Circumnavigation cruise. Now I feel much less than 50/50 that this will happen even though I expect we'll be vaccinated well before then. The Australian Health Minister (browsing through "health.au.gov/news/health-alerts") was talking in January 2021 about not allowing foreign travel, other than a possible regional bubble, until very late if at all in 2021.

We as travelers may get vaccinated and feel ready to go even though our country may be far from fully vaccinated (I'm referring mostly to the US with this comment). The destination countries may show much better numbers, but they will still be very careful about allowing incoming foreign travel this year.  At this point I think 2021 is going to be another bust, unless you're willing to try a 7-day Caribbean cruise.

Right this moment with the temperature here in single digits and the wind chill well below zero, a Caribbean cruise of any length sounds wonderful.

• Like 1