The Daily for Saturday Jan 30, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. Love Croissants!

It's quite cold here and we're bracing for snow/wintry mix tomorrow and Monday.

I think maybe a carrot ginger soup for dinner tonight. I wanted to make German Rye bread today but the grocery was out of vital wheat gluten flour. So I await it coming from Amazon.

Safe travels @rafinmd Roy and @durangoscots.

Congrats to all those getting their shots!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the Celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask!

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, superoma said:

We heard it on the evening news and my first comment was way to show initiative. This kind of thinking will help get the job done sooner.

It’s actually where DH and I got our vaccinations on the 26th. I’m not surprised they did this, we were very impressed with their organization and caring. 

• Like 6

While the East seems to be in line for big snows, we are having a bit of a "thaw" in Minnesota. The highs will be right around freezing until Wednesday when it is supposed to get to about 40F. I'll be grilling if it holds true! One of our grocery stores (Fresh Thyme) had sirloin steaks for $3.99/lb. They were gone by the time I could get there, but they are supposed to be getting more today. 

Vaccines remain in short supply here. The State has set up a lottery system for 65 and older folks. We are signed up but who knows how lucky we will be. If it is anything like PowerBall, Lotto, and pull tabs, we may never get the shots !!😉

In 2010, I was in Taiwan for work (3M). During some free time, I found a marvelous flower market -

P6120173.thumb.JPG.2af02c64a692e5b0b24d70d6bf3e74af.JPG

P4300392.thumb.JPG.6f9432b53591cf65bf36a3380827116e.JPG

• Like 23

1 hour ago, 65 Gator said:

It makes it worthwhile to spend a day there just to see the appreciation from the patients. 

Wear your masks...

I, also, am a team member for our Covid shots here in Washington State --- it is truly an amazing experience to have so many patients express their thanks.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, daisybertie said:

Thank you Rich and Roy. It is 11pm on Saturday night here, and it continues to rain, and rain and rain. Lovely soaking rain, so good for the garden. It’s a pity for the tourists who flock to the coast for their summer holidays, they have really only had a few really hot days this year. The children go back to school on Monday after their long summer break. Because of Covid restrictions parents and volunteers are not allowed on the school grounds. But at least the kids can go to school, and only had to do a few weeks of home schooling at the beginning of the pandemic.

We have croissants for breakfast every Saturday, so pleased to see it is National Croissant Day. 
Hope all those who are sick soon improve, and everyone stays safe and gets the vaccine as soon as it is available. 
Good night from Australia.

My husband and I love AU.....been there three times in the last 11 years! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, daisybertie said:

Thank you Rich and Roy. It is 11pm on Saturday night here, and it continues to rain, and rain and rain. Lovely soaking rain, so good for the garden. It’s a pity for the tourists who flock to the coast for their summer holidays, they have really only had a few really hot days this year. The children go back to school on Monday after their long summer break. Because of Covid restrictions parents and volunteers are not allowed on the school grounds. But at least the kids can go to school, and only had to do a few weeks of home schooling at the beginning of the pandemic.

We have croissants for breakfast every Saturday, so pleased to see it is National Croissant Day. 
Hope all those who are sick soon improve, and everyone stays safe and gets the vaccine as soon as it is available. 
Good night from Australia.

My husband and I love AU.....been there three times in the last 11 years! 

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all! 😄  Wow, the US is really rolling out the vaccinations,  You are doing well over your one million a day.  Here things have completely stalled.   And Europe seems to be appropriating all the vaccine being produced there, so we are out of luck.  I have a feeling there will be no cruising for us this year...

Can’t like this one,  as it is so discouraging here in Canada.

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 3

Good morning and thanks all!  Love the wine and mojitos are my fave,  I even grow my own mint! 

Hoping I can get the Chili seeds to germinate so i don’t waste them!  Fingers crossed!  

One of my favourite views, a year ago today!  
image.png.b8ef7aacf5db06a3eb8cb7497eac61a4.png

• Like 16

😀 Good Morning and Happy Saturday!  

Thank you again for the Daily, Rich and Roy!👀  I keep hoping to see some movement from the Nieuw Statendam ~~~we're planning a cruise in September. 😎 It sure would be nice to be back on a ship. 

Anyone remember the name of the drink that seemed like a hot alcoholic with whip cream on the 🛳️Nieuw Amsterdam...maybe some coffee in it?????? (It's driving me crazy 🤪) I would order it in one of the bars before going to the BB King Lounge for a nightly show. 😊

Being from California, we have had plenty of Mojotos as well as Margaritas! 🍸

👍 Stay well and Be Safe Everyone. 😷

7153d7769a9bfe3177f0f536f8be61de.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

@dfishDebbie they will plow your driveway for a fee?  I would take them up on that too.  

I pay a plow service.  A few years back I decided to give it up after one fall resulted in that broken hip instead of a cruise.  It is nice to know that if it snows a lot, they will come.   

• Like 13

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Debbie

Just a note to thank you for sharing the recipes with us!  Love the idea of a family cookbook!

You are more than welcome.   The recipes seem easy enough to find and it is a small contribution to the Daily.

The family cookbook has enabled us to save all the family favorites, including from Grandmas and Great Grandmas.   Nanny Huener was a wealth of German recipes such as Lekvar Cake, sauerbrauten, kuchen, and German potato salad.   Also, we have regional recipes that are not known outside of the area where are family lived.   The nieces and nephews really enjoy the cookbook and a couple of them have contributed to the second edition.  My brother says it is the only cookbook he uses.  

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

I pay a plow service.  A few years back I decided to give it up after one fall resulted in that broken hip instead of a cruise.  It is nice to know that if it snows a lot, they will come.   

Oh, it must have been *that* cruise when we were supposed to meet the first time?  

• Like 4

The hike was great even though we had heavy fog and drizzle.  It was us and the Boy Scouts.  5 miles of wide, paved trails, with a few board walks,  along a creek and a lake.  

Anyway I am working on my online shop and watching Youtube Cruise Videos.  I am loving the folks who document their shore excursions.  At the end of the excursion the fellow shows the line to get back on the mega ship - Oh, thank goodness I will never sail one of those again!

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Can’t like this one,  as it is so discouraging here in Canada.

I think Canada has handled so many parts of this better than the US that you are still better off than we are.

Roy

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, dfish said:

OMG on the broken hip.  Awful!!!  A plow is worth every penny.  We use one too as we have a huge driveway and it’s too steep for DH to let me risk a snow blower.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all! 😄  Wow, the US is really rolling out the vaccinations,  You are doing well over your one million a day.  Here things have completely stalled.   And Europe seems to be appropriating all the vaccine being produced there, so we are out of luck.  I have a feeling there will be no cruising for us this year...

Ann, there is hope.  We have a company at it’s first stage of trials in CANADA.  If the Government had injected money sooner, they’d be at 3rd stage but at leas they are now.  And, if they are successful, they are ready to go into production at “warp speed” (sorry for stealing that expression my CC friends from the U.S.).

Europe is only appropriating IF their orders haven’t been filled but it doesn’t seem fair as some of the countries ordered after we did.

We have to have hope.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Hoping I can get the Chili seeds to germinate so i don’t waste them!  Fingers crossed!  

Mine are crossed too.  There was nothing on the package saying they seeds would be sterile.If they don’t germinate, it’s probably the propagator’s fault (mine), not yours 😉 .  I’m doing mine in batches so that they don’t all mature at the same time.  First batch of 3 types including last year’s is today 😉 

Fair warning, it seemed to take forever for them to appear last year.  They were so tiny at the beginning that you literally needed a magnifying glass to see them.  So, don’t give up.  

I discovered later in my research that the hotter the chili, the slower they are to germinate and show their sprouts.

• Like 9

Good morning, all. I love the quote, and both meal,suggestions. It will be meatloaf again for us tonight, served with butternut squash noodles and cauliflower sauce mushroom gravy. 
National Inane Answering Message Day reminds of an incident many years ago when DS and BIL got their first home answering machine. BIL called home from work, to find their teenage son had changed the message to: ‘Hello!..... Hello?.... HELLO???.... I can’t hear you. If someone’s there, could you hang up and call back?’  My BIL was furious, but couldn’t do anything about until he got home. My nephew nephew now has a daughter who,is is exactly like he used to be. Payback is real.

Best of luck to those of in the East facing oncoming winter storms. Our one sunny day has given way to cold, heavy rain again, but it could certainly be worse. That’s probably why I slept until almost 10 today, which is very unusual!

for the time being, Happy Saturday! I leave you with the elevator mat of the day, and a composite of the week’s mats for a potential jigsaw puzzle as discussed yesterday!

A08DC58C-9855-4F6A-9E38-1AF36A0833D5.thumb.jpeg.1fc9aea22ada7681f53c066d628edbf1.jpeg

6EAC4FBB-C10F-4784-AF3E-461600E9B5A3.thumb.jpeg.87601f15bed862a119ea93c334b94fe8.jpeg

• Like 18

7 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  I’ll happily make some croissants for DH to celebrate croissant day and although not a swap I did celebrate Seeds day by sharing  some earlier to be planted now and picking up my seed starting stuff so I hope that counts.  

Love the Roman rule.  No pork chops but I bought a lovely ham which we will have tonight so I hope that is close enough to the meal suggestion?

a Mojito - yum - on a blue hulled beauty in warm weather would be great.  It’s too cold for one here at -20 C (-4 F).

Well, DH was a bit of curmudgeon when I came home with what he perceived as too many bags when I picked up my grocery curb side order.  What he didn’t know was that 4 bags held seed starting supplies, earth & a couple of seeds.  I placed the rest of the order last night.  Luckily he didn’t complain too much because he knows what I would say 😉 

96A2BB02-FD6A-4A7E-B62B-3F30E61953BE.jpeg.d58f488c8528304ad217c37b50e3a3ce.jpeg

Seriously, some seeds have to be started in a couple of days.  @bennybear and I have some chili seeds I saved from last year that we hope are going to sprout.  I did buy some other varieties as a back up, though.

Not everything succeeds of course and I have my reply ready when DH asks if it was worth it:

B6B65B18-AE6F-4982-8811-306702287144.thumb.jpeg.199b51bcd673eb21b5d402e45c70dcc3.jpeg

Just kidding - DH loves my flowers and doesn’t bash me when I don’t succeed 😉 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them & a toast to everyone on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

I love that at -4 degrees you are thinking about seeds!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

In 2010, I was in Taiwan for work (3M). During some free time, I found a marvelous flower market -

P6120173.thumb.JPG.2af02c64a692e5b0b24d70d6bf3e74af.JPG

P4300392.thumb.JPG.6f9432b53591cf65bf36a3380827116e.JPG

I think I know that one! My DD and SIL live in Taipei and we’ve had extended visits a few time. (Not lately, though.😔) Is that the huge flower market in Taipei that continues across the road into the Jade Market? It’s a similar building, but devoted to semiprecious gemstones, loose, jewelry, and carvings. I could spend a whole day in those two buildings!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 3

Well, the recliners are in their places and the old sofa is out in the garage.  Someone called yesterday to "view" it, but then didn't show up in the evening, so we will see what happens today.  At least it is now out of the house.  I can go out and cry over it any time I want.  At least my favourite cushion seems to work on the new chair.  I am going to time Pat to see exactly how long it takes him to fall asleep while watching the news!😄

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh, it must have been *that* cruise when we were supposed to meet the first time?  

It sure was.   Although it was too bad for those of you who got to go, it made me feel better that the weather wasn't so great.   Sue and I had colored water tropical drinks and we toasted you guys as you sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kazu said:

OMG on the broken hip.  Awful!!!  A plow is worth every penny.  We use one too as we have a huge driveway and it’s too steep for DH to let me risk a snow blower.

I didn't need snow or ice to break the hip.  I fell going up stairs coming in from the back porch.  Who falls going upstairs?   Seriously?

I'm so glad I have the plow service.  I never had a snow blower because I don't have any place to store it.  Silly me, I'm one of the few people in the neighborhood who uses the garage to keep my car in.  I also have them do the mowing in the summer.  It started out that I didn't have time to do it because I was spending so much time in Michigan taking care of my dad.  I was up there at least a week out of every month.  And taking care of him meant mowing his yard, raking his leaves, etc.  I finally told him he had to get a lawn service.  I wasn't paying to have mine done so I could do his.  

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, dfish said:

It sure was.   Although it was too bad for those of you who got to go, it made me feel better that the weather wasn't so great.   Sue and I had colored water tropical drinks and we toasted you guys as you sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale.  

Yeah, it wasn't the best weather, and we missed you!

• Like 2