Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Insanityx4 said:

Viking has been trying to get licensing for South America and the US without success for several years.

Interesting, we had both SOB and Zodiac excursions on our sailing last October/November (2023) in the Chilean Fjords on the Polaris.

I think there were submersible options, too, but we didn’t partake.

Edited by 1985rz1

Just now, OneSixtyToOne said:

Other than the Panama Canal transit, I don’t think there is much happening on that leg. 

Agreed.  I was thinking it was going down the Brazilian Coast, then up the west coast to Santiago.  My bad.  

Posted (edited)

We took our trip, Santiago to Ft. Lauderdale last April 2023 and at the time Viking was trying hard to get licensed to use their "toys" in other countries. We were told only Antarctica and Canadian ports in the great lakes. I sounds like maybe that has changed.

Edited by Insanityx4

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 5:52 PM, kchand said:

I notice a lot of the pictures posted on Facebook holding an Antarctic Flag.

Where do you get them.

I was going to respond, but then read that the question was answered. Yes, the Octantis staff brought the flag to land for photo ops.

Edited by emileg

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Interesting, we had both SOB and Zodiac excursions on our sailing last October/November (2023) in the Chilean Fjords on the Polaris.

I think there were submersible options, too, but we didn’t partake.

Same on the Octantis. They deployed everything including the submarines.

4 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Do the Chilean fjords instead, especially if you think Antarctica might be a bit too extreme, it’s the closest you’ll get to experience a true expedition experience.

Thanks but have done that and there isn’t a promo on Antarctica. 

2 hours ago, Insanityx4 said:

We did the Santiago to Ft. Lauderdale cruise last year on the Octantis. We were originally scheduled on the Polaris but it went into drydock for repairs from the rogue wave so we were put on the Octantis. It was a full ship since they combined both cruises. The ship leaves from Valparaiso which is about 1 1/2 hours from Santiago, so be prepared for that it if you plan to go in early. We spent 3 days in Santiago before the cruise (loved Santiago and wish we had more time there). We did a day trip through Viator to Valparaiso which dropped us off at our hotel the afternoon before the ship left. 

The cruise itself was not great in some ports and very good in others. The highlight of the cruise was a paid for (but now included) trip the San Lorenzo and the new canal. There was a huge container ship in the new canal and it was fascinating to watch. You could see the smaller ships going through the original canal in the background. Out tour was small, about 18 people in a mini van.. I'm sure the included trip will be quite different. It was our third time going through the canal and it was a different experience since the ship is smaller and we had three yachts going through with us.

The only Expedition cruises that include the toys are Antarctica and the Canadian side of the great lakes. Viking has been trying to get licensing for South America and the US without success for several years.

When we arrived in Ft. Lauderdale there was a huge flood that closed the airport for two days so we had to fly out of Miami. Viking did provide transportation to the Sheraton in Miami and paid for one night, no food included which they weren't obligated to do since the rainstorm wasn't something they could control. It was a interesting trip and we enjoyed it. The food on the ship was very  good. We never ate in the restaurant which is only open for dinner because the choice of entrees (only 3) were also available in the world cafe along with the grill which offered steak and lobster nightly and the expanded sushi bar. In our opinion the food and service at Manfredi's was not comparable to the ocean ships. Also no chef's table or afternoon tea.

One of the excursions in Cozumel was a taco and tequila tour which was more of a sales pitch for purchasing tequila and other local items and ran over by two hours so we missed the submarine trip which was disappointing until we talked to some others who went and said they packed about 40 people into the submarine with seats for about 25 so you really couldn't see much.

We really liked the enclosed balcony. You can keep the window open or closed depending on the weather and still feel like you were on a balcony.

Good luck Clay on deciding what to do! I hope this helps.

It does and I think I read your CC review last night. Interesting that using the special ops boat has to be licensed but tenders don’t?  Oh well, rules is rules. 

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Sorry. Should have said not a promo that cuts the price almost 50%

We were fortunate that ANT24 whacked 18% off our original booking price for a January Octantis sailing. I suspect it will be very hard to find anything as deep as 50% for any of the Antarctic trips.

Our good fortune aside, ANT24 is a remarkably inconsistent promo - big discounts on some dates but not others; major variations on cabins as well. That said, you may want to keep an eye on the Antarctic deals from 6 months on in - I had never seen a promo for there with even this level of dealing. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Go. One of the most amazing places I've ever been. Ushuaia also. Would have loved to have had a bit more time there.

Love...love Ushuaia as one of my favorite ports.  Good King Crabs too!!  

20240118_100845.jpg

• Like 2

How does Viking handle the kayaking on those "life of an explorer" days? Some pictures I'm seeing are all tandem. Do they offer solo kayaking? Is there instruction provided first? Just curious. I wouldn't really need a crash course on it cause I've done it already with my inflatable.

on our Antarctica Expedition Cruise we were instructed/ evaluated on how to get in/out of the kayak from the Zodiac.  They did this in the Hangar not on open water.

4 hours ago, deec said:

how to get in/out of the kayak from the Zodiac.

So you have to first get in a zodiac before a kayak? What about simply kayaking right from the ship?  Isn't that done?

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

So you have to first get in a zodiac before a kayak? What about simply kayaking right from the ship?  Isn't that done?

Viking don't play like that.

Yes, you take a Zodiak to a rendezvous point that is likely calmer water for you to do the kayak thing.

The ship will always dock a lot farther from where it makes sense to kayak.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Yes, you take a Zodiak to a rendezvous point that is likely calmer water for you to do the kayak thing.

Huh...not really liking the idea at all of that transfer from zodiac to kayak, but otherwise it makes sense to first get to somewhere that's more suitable for kayaking. Is it a direct transfer from one to the other, or do you get out of the zodiac into knee-deep water and then into the kayak? Somehow I'd think the zodiac takes people to a shore first and then starts out the kayaks from there (?) I've only ever done kayaking that way - would never want to do it starting off in deeper water than my height, or even less. I'd have to watch it on a video to see how it works. Thinking of probably doing one of the Great Lakes cruises. I know DW would have little interest in either one, so it'd probably just be me. Not really all that interested in climbing into a zodiac with a group of other people. Oh well...probably just stay on the ship during those 'life of an explorer' days. I'll check out some youtube videos though.

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Huh...not really liking the idea at all of that transfer from zodiac to kayak, but otherwise it makes sense to first get to somewhere that's more suitable for kayaking. Is it a direct transfer from one to the other, or do you get out of the zodiac into knee-deep water and then into the kayak? I've only ever done kayaking from a shoreline - would never want to do it starting off in deeper water than my height, or even less. I'd have to watch it on a video to see how it works. Thinking of probably doing one of the Great Lakes cruises. I know DW would have little interest in either one, so it'd probably just be me. Not really interested in climbing into a zodiac with a group of other people. Oh well...probably just stay on the ship during those 'life of an explorer' days.

Viking "teaches" you to rollover from the zodiac into the kayak. Ideally, you shouldn't ever get wet.

In terms of Great Lake cruises, somebody else needs to comment on whether they're allowed to take the toys into American waters. There were comments on my last expedition cruise about how Viking isn't allowed to do certain activities in American waters. So, it's best to know what the rules are prior to paying for the trip.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Viking "teaches" you to rollover from the zodiac into the kayak. Ideally, you shouldn't ever get wet.

"Ideally" is the operant word! Nope...no thanks. I'll stick to doing it myself when usually there's noone else around in case I make an a$$ out of myself, like one of the first times when I fell in the drink while misjudging how close I was to the slippery boat ramp at the lake near my house. Of course, at the time there were a good many fishing boats out on the water that got a good chuckle I'm sure!  After that I decided I'll never cast off or return using the ramp again. I find a secluded place along the shoreline. There's never anyone around there.

13 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

So, it's best to know what the rules are prior to paying for the trip.

Interesting - I think I've read about this issue before. I don't really care if I'd get to use their toys or not. Trying to find the best way to use voucher money without having to fly overseas for one thing. Plus, we're interested in trying the expedition ship. I have mixed feelings - one of which is not having regular balconies. Just the idea of the Great Lakes itineraries alone is reason enough to do it, especially playing with a good chunk of money that they gave us from our Mississippi trip.

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Huh...not really liking the idea at all of that transfer from zodiac to kayak, but otherwise it makes sense to first get to somewhere that's more suitable for kayaking. Is it a direct transfer from one to the other, or do you get out of the zodiac into knee-deep water and then into the kayak? Somehow I'd think the zodiac takes people to a shore first and then starts out the kayaks from there (?) I've only ever done kayaking that way - would never want to do it starting off in deeper water than my height, or even less. I'd have to watch it on a video to see how it works. Thinking of probably doing one of the Great Lakes cruises. I know DW would have little interest in either one, so it'd probably just be me. Not really all that interested in climbing into a zodiac with a group of other people. Oh well...probably just stay on the ship during those 'life of an explorer' days. I'll check out some youtube videos though.

To give you an idea of how the toys are deployed, here is a map from our day at Agostini fjord in Chile. Each toy has a designated area. You are transported from the ship to the kayaking site via zodiac. We did a zodiac landing at the glacier and about 45 minutes later, kayakers paddled up the inlet.

image.thumb.jpeg.6c82120b9793f73dc6e1857b2fdf0cd5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.77c9efe5ba77770db26d7b0bc726f4fe.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

Once again, I'm seeing all tandem kayaking. No solo?  On a different topic, how hard is it to reserve meals in the dining room?  Compared to ocean, I'm not crazy about that idea either. That and the lack of balconies. The 'toys' don't bother me either way. I can kayak anytime I want at home, but hardly ever do. Unfortunately I buy a launch permit each year. Turns into a donation to PA Fish & Boat Commission. I realize I'm paying for Viking's exploration activities regardless of whether I make use them or not. No real big deal. My wife hardly ever drinks alcohol, and yet essentially pays for it.

Edited by OnTheJourney

21 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

how hard is it to reserve meals in the dining room? 

The seating in the restaurant is limited. It’s not designed to seat the entire ship. However, most people eat in the World Cafe exclusively because the nature of expedition cruising is very relaxed and the food is unbelievable great. Reservations should not be hard to come by after people board and see the situation. The World Cafe on expedition ships is unlike Viking Ocean. The food is the best I’ve had on a ship. If you want steak and lobster every night, you can have it. There is a meat case at the grill with cuts of beef, a sushi chef and seafood bar, a bakery, a fresh pasta station, incredible desserts, cold stone custom made ice cream, and all this in addition to the standard buffet fare. We actually canceled our restaurant and Manfredi’s reservations because we enjoyed it so much. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

That and the lack of balconies

We do only balcony staterooms on ocean ships, but the Nordic Balcony on the Expedition ships are quite enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

We do only balcony staterooms on ocean ships, but the Nordic Balcony on the Expedition ships are quite enjoyable.

If I had a choice, I'd take the expedition balconies versus the standard cruise ship balconies. Celebrity calls them "infinity balconies", Viking tries to differentiate themselves with making up norwegian names. But, standard balcony versus infinity balcony, I prefer the latter.

• Thanks 1