Booking flights...should I ?

happygo

1 hour ago, oregonian123 said:

Thanks, do you have a link, please?

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24324-alaska-cruise-season-cancelled-as-canadian-government-bans-cruise-ships-for-2021.html?fbclid=IwAR2IdTbpSIgHusoibKvh0HSKDg6XNWu93XbUVGYmcYV4BiE8wpR-NWAxH9c

1 hour ago, jemz1949 said:

Whose law/rule is it that requires the ship to make a stop in Canada?  

The PVSA, Passenger Vessel Service Act

1 hour ago, jemz1949 said:

Whose law/rule is it that requires the ship to make a stop in Canada?  

The Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA);

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

Foreign flag cruise ships may not embark passengers from one U.S. port (i.e. Seattle, WA) and disembark them to another U.S. port (i.e. Whittier, Alaska) even if they stop in a foreign port (i.e. Victoria, BC). Hence, this is why you will see foreign flag cruise ships that do one-way cruises to Alaska will embark passengers from Vancouver, BC (not Seattle, WA). And vice-versa; Whittier, AK to Vancouver, BC (one way cruises from Alaska).

The PVSA does not prohibit foreign flag cruise ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port (i.e. Seattle, WA) provided the ships visit any foreign port (i.e. Victoria, BC). Hence, this is why you will see foreign flag cruise ships do "closed loop" Alaska cruises departing & returning to Seattle, WA but with a required stop in Victoria, BC.

1 hour ago, $hip$hape said:

I understand... it’s a frequently asked question, since it does not make sense to us commoners. 🙂

It has to do with politics & $$$

It has to do with protecting the domestic (U.S.) shipping industry from foreign competition. It is a cabotage law.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Just think if the ship's cargo was cabbage. The cabbage would be protected by Cabotage. I know, stupid joke but I couldn't stop my fingers on the keyboard in time...

Ha! I was thinking more about, what if this law was applied to goods(like from Walmart). It would be a different world.

• Like 1

I think you already have your answer but if you are still unsure, then no, don't book the flights. I agree the other posters that right now cash is king and even if you get a flight voucher when you cruise is cancelled, you will still be stuck with expiration dates and restrictions. Keep your money and book a flight when it's more certain that the trip will happen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, $hip$hape said:

Ha! I was thinking more about, what if this law was applied to goods(like from Walmart). It would be a different world.

Yes it would. Since a lot of Walmart goods are imported (as cargo via ship, i.e. from China, etc), the prices are kept low because they can be shipped on foreign flagged ships. If all the Walmart goods had to be shipped on U.S. flag ships, I'm sure the prices would be higher.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jemz1949 said:

So not being political, but IF Biden was so inclined to issue an Executive Order allowing cruise ships to be exempt from this requirement and not require a stop in Canada, that's all that it would take?  

I'm not sure if such an exemption would be issued by Executive Order or if Congress would have to issue the exemption. This could be a reasonable solution to Canada's continued refusal to allow cruise ships in their waters.

When cruising resumes, foreign flag cruise ships will resume doing "closed loop" cruises, round trip Seattle to Alaskan ports but are required by the PVSA to stop in a nearby foreign port (i.e. Victoria, BC is used to meet this requirement).

Additionally, such an exemption would allow foreign flag cruise ships to embark passengers in one U.S. port (i.e. Seattle, WA) and disembark them in another U.S. port (i.e. Whittier, AK). Currently, foreign flag cruise ships have to embark or disembark passengers from/to a foreign port (i.e. Vancouver, BC).

Perhaps Alaska's government officials are lobbying Congress to grant such an exemption? I'm sure Alaska's economy (especially local ports, towns) is being devastated by the loss of cruise ship business. It would make sense that they would be doing this.

It sure would not hurt to allow an exemption for say the next two years - travel to Alaska without

the PVSA stop in Canada and also some of the New England cruises involving the same requirement.

It would be a scramble for this year by the cruise lines -

but desperate times need desperate measures -

Alaska cruises can be salvaged -

Canadian ports of Victoria and Vancouver don't need to be patronized

The White Pass & Yukon RR - can turn around at the border which it does anyway.

Alaska could petition Congress for such a bill - it would not need a bi-partisan effort - 

It is all about the economy and jobs in our own country !

ALASKA *** PUT SOME PRESSURE ON THE US CONGRESS - get the exemption  ! 

*** and the Cruise ship lines Norwegian Holland-America Princess etc. you want the

business lobby for it !

MAKE IT HAPPEN !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I'm not sure if such an exemption would be issued by Executive Order or if Congress would have to issue the exemption. This could be a reasonable solution to Canada's continued refusal to allow cruise ships in their waters.

I think this makes an unlikely assumption that the white hours or Congress want aid cruising to resume. 

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I think this makes an unlikely assumption that the white hours or Congress want aid cruising to resume. 

Yeah, probably true (unfortunately). Seems to be apparent with the way the CDC is handling this whole situation. Only chance may be if Alaska (and possibly the cruise lines) strongly and successfully lobbies Congress to issue the PVSA exemption. Probably would go through the House Transportation sub committee. Would help if the 2 senators from Alaska were "on board" (pun intended).

• Like 1