How are refunds processed on a credit card that you no longer have?

mbuckles071

We are expecting our June 12th cruise to be cancelled. We made some payments for the cruise with a credit card that we no longer have because it was compromised. Just curious how Carnival would handle those funds that were paid with that old card?

I was in the same situation last year with a canceled NCL cruise.  The refund was credited to the card that replaced the compromised one.   I asked the credit card company (Chase)  in advance, and they assured me it would be a smooth process, and it was.  

Now, if the account was closed rather than being replaced with a new card, that's a different situation, and I don't know what would happen then.

4 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Now, if the account was closed rather than being replaced with a new card, that's a different situation, and I don't know what would happen then.

In this case, the refund would still go back to the financial institution that issued the credit card. The consumer would then have to get their money back from the financial institution.

• Like 1

This happened to me last Fall.  I got a notice from the CC that I had a "credit". I had to call them and when the refund went through to them they issued a check to me.  It didn't take too much longer but I did have to make a couple of extra phone calls.  Otherwise it was easy.

My card was cancelled long before my cruise got cancelled, and eventually my card was purged in the banks system.  Carnival did refund, but it went into a "cloud" somewhere.  The investigation team at the bank was able to eventually find it and I did get the money, but it took a few months.  I had made many smaller payments with that card so tell your bank if it's one large payment totaling $X or if it's many payments of, lets say, $50, so then they can find it easier.

This is not encouraging.  The refunds seem to be coming back in random amounts.  Cruise planning can span years, and like many it seems, I too have paid using cards that I have closed.

I would have hoped that the banks would be a little bit more proactive when refunds come in on a closed card.  I bet if instead charges come in on a closed card, they would quickly find the former customer.

19 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I was in the same situation last year with a canceled NCL cruise.  The refund was credited to the card that replaced the compromised one.   I asked the credit card company (Chase)  in advance, and they assured me it would be a smooth process, and it was.  

I switched banks. The card I used is closed. I'm worried about the same thing. Taking my last cancel as fcc because the card is cancelled but agree I wonder how.

It's not just a reissued card, I am using a completely different credit card from a different bank.

• 2 weeks later...

We had this situation also.

Princess Deposit was made on a MC credit card that we since canceled due to charges made that were not ours (believe it was a gas station pump skimmer that got us?) Our same bank replaced our MC card with a new MC account card.

Received Princess refund to the new card today with no action on our part .