Royal Caribbean's new Galveston cruise terminal is going ahead

Host Kat

• 3 weeks later...

So happy to hear this. We live on the west coast but love RCCL so we sail out of Galveston a lot. We were so excited to hear that Oasis class ships would be going out. We love Liberty but the Oasis ships are actually a destination trip, we have sailed them several times, at first unsure if we wanted to get on aht big a ship and then becoming our favorite class. They way they are orginazed we though they felt less crowed with more [private areas than the smaller classes we have sailed in the past. 

This was more of a "how do things get done in Galveston" question, did not not know if island time can affect completion. I suspect private projects stand a better chance.

By the way, you should try a magic 8 ball, they only run out of juice when broken!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 10:54 AM, txjim09 said:

Kat, do you think fall '22is a realistic opening date?

Not Kat but would bet that it will be ready. Its a private project with a hard deadline. There is always some float build into critical schedules like this. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2021 at 10:54 AM, txjim09 said:

Kat, do you think fall '22is a realistic opening date?

On 3/25/2021 at 10:13 AM, longhorn2004 said:

So expect a fall 2022 completion still?

On 4/7/2021 at 3:16 PM, Calmday said:

Not Kat but would bet that it will be ready. Its a private project with a hard deadline. There is always some float build into critical schedules like this. 

Howdy all y'all! emo22.gif

Looks like things are finally starting to get going! Here is the notice re the start of demolition & construction causing traffic problems...

image.png.69d17f9e87ece7d40a2c06e63a63d00a.png

Still sayin' scheduled to open late 2022.  emo34.gif 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longhorn2004 said:

I hope it stays on schedule, I have a reservation on Allure in December.

With a year and half it will get done . During covid The City of Galveston and Port of Galveston continued with necessary projects for a terminal whether it be Royal or another. 

So they are way ahead of schedule of preparedness for Royal . It’s up to Royal with a year and half , it will get done . 

I believe I read somewhere about RCI having 30 or more construction projects underway in various phases when Covid hit last year, and they opted to keep only 3 of them proceeding as normal.  The Galveston terminal was one of the three.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SCBarker said:

I believe I read somewhere about RCI having 30 or more construction projects underway in various phases when Covid hit last year, and they opted to keep only 3 of them proceeding as normal.  The Galveston terminal was one of the three.

Yep, we are VERY proud of Galveston! From the article mentioned in Post #1 above:

"Speaking during a Galveston industry outlook webinar, Rees said he'd been told by Royal Caribbean that of 20-some projects, the company had whittled those down to two — Galveston and a new facility at Freeport, Bahamas."

I think what helps us is that there are 50 million people within a 12-hour drive. Therefore, it is "easy peasy, lemon squeezy to come on down, y'all!"

• Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 6:41 AM, ssb said:

Check out this link: www.galvnews.com/tncms/asset/editorial/c51118f4-faf7-5962-b2bb-deabcdacdd16

I don't have access to that link.  Can you copy/paste  to this thread.  We booked Allure for March 2023.  Hopefully the new terminal will be built by then.  

Thanks

2 hours ago, StrikeEagle said:

... Can you copy/paste  to this thread...

Howdy @StrikeEaglefrom a fellow Texan!  emo22.gif

So sorry, but no .Only the URL link can be posted on the Cruise Critic message boards. Please note the following from the Copyright Infringement section in the Guidelines we all have agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Copyright Infringement

The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed.

The one exception to this would be Cruise Line press releases. You may post these word for word on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

• Like 1

The estimated date of completion for that project fluctuates many times during the pandemic.  Does anyone know what is the latest update on the predicted construction schedule on when it will be finished by hopefully by the end of 2022.  🙂    Thanks

Edited by StrikeEagle

Here is a new article from today that is just more of the same old... same old. Still saying late 2022.

https://news.boat-cruises-trips.com/royal-caribbean-breaks-ground-on-new-cruise-terminal-at-us-port-of-galveston/

Here is an article from 4 days ago that mentions Royal Caribbean has an extension until 2023 to finish the project.

https://cruiseradio.net/royal-caribbean-breaks-ground-on-110-million-galveston-terminal/

We still have 2 hurricane seasons as well as a winter that may have bad freezes again to go through. I had a father as well as a husband that were pipefitters working construction. I can testify that from my childhood until my husband passed, the weather ALWAYS played a big part in how long it would take for any sort of construction to be completed. 

• Thanks 1

Great news!  The current terminals are really struggling to hire people right now.  They had a job fair last weekend and hardly anyone showed up so they are having another one this week. The new terminal is going to be nice when they get it finished.  Will be interesting to see what Carnival does next and if Galveston is going to try and to get one of the 3 Excel class ships in there in 2023 or 2024.  

The cruising business just got a whole lot bigger in Galveston.

3 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

Great news!  The current terminals are really struggling to hire people right now.  They had a job fair last weekend and hardly anyone showed up so they are having another one this week. The new terminal is going to be nice when they get it finished.  Will be interesting to see what Carnival does next and if Galveston is going to try and to get one of the 3 Excel class ships in there in 2023 or 2024.  

The cruising business just got a whole lot bigger in Galveston.

Well with long term plans for terminal #4 , it will be even a whole lot better ! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ssb said:

Well with long term plans for terminal #4 , it will be even a whole lot better ! 

Yes also in Galveston, with Carnival, Royal Caribbean , Disney all expanding the horizons ,

and Norwegian desiring  home port on the Island , cruising business just got a whole lot bigger in Galveston. The competition will only be for more fun at reasonable pricing with expandable itineraries . !  

I’m happy it’s finally going to get started.  We can’t wait to have a bigger ship in Galveston.  I’m wondering though about hotel rooms and parking.  Do you think that will get worse?  Hotels there are already more expensive we find then in Miami or Ft Lauderdale for similar rooms.  I do know there are some newer parking lots.  The traffic in and out of the pier can already be very busy on cruise mornings. I’m sure that’s gone into the planning or at least I hope so.