What are the silliest things you do before or during a cruise?

Calvin

I picked a pretty easy question for me to answer!  Every time we cruise, and we've sailed 30+ times, I try to be one of the first people on the ship. Though we are not usually in a suite, or high level loyalty club members, I try to get to the port at 11 am or so,  knowing that we will have to wait for a while. I can't help it because I am like a 12 year old boy filled with excitement.  My wife (who is passive-aggressive) and I argue about the time we leave (we usually drive to the port) almost every single time because she will make sure we leave later than my stated goal!

For my wife, IMO, the silliest thing she does is try to dodge the Muster Drill. Now I have NO IDEA why this is such a chore for her, given that it usually lasts about 15 minutes or so, but I always have to drag her out of the cabin to do it!

What silly things do you guys do?

We typically have to fly to our port before we sail so we always go in the night before, I am always stressed out that I have forgotten something and I have to unpack in the hotel room, double check everything than repack before heading to the cruise ship the next morning!

I remember wandering around Manhattan on foot looking for a few things I forgot!

I remember having to find an all night drug store in Honolulu for things I forgot!

Than there was Barcelona! Thank goodness my husband can read and speak some Spanish!

Every year my husband tells me to make a spread sheet, how boring!  I like the random shopping experiences we have had because I forgot something! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

My sister and I, senior citizen ladies, take along our Carnival mascot dolls.   I probably shouldn't mention that we sometimes talk to them and can get as silly as we did as little girls growing up together.   😁

IMG_0641.JPG

How can you resist not talking to your Funship Freddy dolls?  Nothing silly about that. Now the real Funship Freddy just creeps me out;

Image result for funship freddy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Okay, so I'm one of those obsessive cruise preppers!  I start laying my clothes out at least a month in advance!  (Which is really a bummer now, when I have had multiple trips cancelled and still can't seem to get my stuff back where it belongs.....sigh!)  I have the spreadsheet with ports and every half hour designated....and the tab prior to the itinerary has all of the costs/reservation numbers/addresses/phone numbers, etc.  All color coded, of course!

And for foreign ports, I get the travel books and start learning the language (HA!  TRYING to learn the language!) about a year in advance!  Planning is a big part of the fun for me!  (I should really consider being a TA when I retire!)

• Like 10

I have a saved “Cruise Packing List” in my computer’s documents.

I make a daily clothing list according to temperature.
Then, I make a daily spread sheet by date with location, temperature, breakfast-lunch-dinner rezzies for the day, booked shows and excursions.  
By the time we leave we can just enjoy.

Sometimes the planning process really adds to the fun for me.

BUT I may be a bit OCD......

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Split undergarments between suitcases in case on gets lost. 

We split all clothes between two suitcases.  When I'm packing,  I lay everything out on the bed,  then put half of my husband's clothes, and half of my clothes  in each suitcases,  in case one suitcase gets lost,  someone is not left with no clothes at all,  lol.

• Like 8

I like to study the dailies from other people who have done the same itinerary.  Not sure why as most 7 day cruises are set up very similarly.  Also before the cruise I like to Google Map the ports.  Use street view to look around the port and explore any downloaded 360 camera views that may pop up in the area.  The cameras are the blue dots as you dangle the Googleguy in the air over the map for anyone who didn't know.  I have an Iceland/Greenland cruise in 2022, so I've been enjoying looking around over there. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, mcmomny said:

We typically have to fly to our port before we sail so we always go in the night before, I am always stressed out that I have forgotten something and I have to unpack in the hotel room, double check everything than repack before heading to the cruise ship the next morning!

I remember wandering around Manhattan on foot looking for a few things I forgot!

I remember having to find an all night drug store in Honolulu for things I forgot!

Than there was Barcelona! Thank goodness my husband can read and speak some Spanish!

Every year my husband tells me to make a spread sheet, how boring!  I like the random shopping experiences we have had because I forgot something! 

I use a spreadsheet myself! It has what goes in each compartment as well

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Okay, so I'm one of those obsessive cruise preppers!  I start laying my clothes out at least a month in advance!  (Which is really a bummer now, when I have had multiple trips cancelled and still can't seem to get my stuff back where it belongs.....sigh!)  I have the spreadsheet with ports and every half hour designated....and the tab prior to the itinerary has all of the costs/reservation numbers/addresses/phone numbers, etc.  All color coded, of course!

And for foreign ports, I get the travel books and start learning the language (HA!  TRYING to learn the language!) about a year in advance!  Planning is a big part of the fun for me!  (I should really consider being a TA when I retire!)

My spreadsheet would have the hours at sea in a teal color and the rest of the hours in blue- howeve I only had every hour desginated lol. Sometimes I would pack 6 weeks in advance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thats

7 hours ago, WickedRed said:

I like to study the dailies from other people who have done the same itinerary.  Not sure why as most 7 day cruises are set up very similarly.  Also before the cruise I like to Google Map the ports.  Use street view to look around the port and explore any downloaded 360 camera views that may pop up in the area.  The cameras are the blue dots as you dangle the Googleguy in the air over the map for anyone who didn't know.  I have an Iceland/Greenland cruise in 2022, so I've been enjoying looking around over there. 

That's what I do. The google map part. If I am not interested in the excursions I like to see what interesting things there might be just wandering around. I have walked all over the ports in Alaska using the little yellow guy.

• Like 1

So many thank s for this Topic!!!,  brings back so many good memories!  Packing in the spare bedroom, with everything on the bed, definitely packing half/half in  suitcase's, learned the hard way.  and the almighty Passport, I check having those with us, way too many times, we have seldom got a mile from home, before I have a panic attack and need to go back to make sure the garage door is shut,  miss those times so much 

• Like 4

Before cruise (or any extended vacation):  I unplug pretty much every electronic device in the house except cable modem, wifi router, and security system.  When you've had things destroyed by lightning before, you get paranoid.

During cruise: We try out each of the bars early in the cruise to decide which one we want to make our home bar where we tend to stay for the remainder of our cruise's bar time.

• Like 5