Mandatory vaccination

armwinder

On 3/17/2021 at 4:07 AM, KeithJenner said:

And it applies to all ages.

It this is the route that all lines take then it is potentially going to be a big problem for many (including myself). My wife and I will be vaccinated very soon, but we can’t travel without our son for whom there is no prospect of a vaccination for a long while.

Obviously this will only be temporary, but may affect our plans for a while. If our August cruise was to sail (which I don’t expect it to) then we may not be able to go despite the adults in our group being vaccinated.

According to the Wall Street Journal (paywall) Moderna is currently testing their vaccine on children ages 6 months to 11 years.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Apparently, since your body has developed antibodies in connection with having fought the disease, they don't want to give you a vaccine soon after that does the same thing

The more important piece to that question is if you have had COVID in the last 90 days AND received an infusion for treatment, they won't give the vaccine.  When my GP's office called me to offer the vaccine I mentioned I'd had it, she questioned when, when she hedged on continuing to schedule the vaccine I informed her that someone that had it after me had been to the mass vaccination site and was administered the shot she went and asked someone.  They told me that as long as I hadn't had an infusion for treatment that I could get it as long as I was 2 weeks out from testing positive (effectively, out of quarantine/isolation)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Can you point me to a scientific/medical source that says the vaccine only protects people for 90 days? The only reference I could find to 90 days and durability was a limited study that said they had monitored antibody levels in vaccinated people for 90 days after there second shot and while there was some expected decay, the vaccines offered protection AT LEAST that long. Other projections I have seen say the expectation is durability of 18 months to 3 years.

Here's an article talking about he 90 day study:

https://www.biospace.com/article/study-suggests-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-has-at-least-3-months-good-durability/

Again, this was only a 90 day study. All it proves is that immunity lasts at least 90 days. Not that it ONLY lasts 90 days.

Thank  you for posting that.  The 90 day claim is typical of much of the misrepresentation about these vaccines.  There are many who are very opposed to vaccines in general who misrepresent these studies even claiming that these are not vaccines.  They define a vaccine as a drug that prevents infections and that the vaccine trials only looked at whether these prevented symptoms and did not test for infections.  Of course, that argument would collapse if they defined a vaccine as preventing an illness.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Wife and I received our second Pfizer vaccination this morning.  So far, so good.  Nothing has fallen off and no new appendages have started to grow.

Just got home from my second shot. So far so good, but was disappointed to learn I am not allowed to do any strenuous activity for 24 hours. I've been working on a bunch of home improvement projects and had planned to hang some barn doors for my master closet this evening! Oh well, guess I'll be forced to finally get some rest. Glad to hear you haven't lost any limbs yet!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

My theory is that they will allow unvaccinated children to sail, but they may cap the number of kids allowed to sail in order to maintain a "herd immunity" threshold. So they might allow for children to account for only 15-20% of the total passengers.

Both P&O and Saga who have already introduced this policy have said all guests must be vaccinated and unvaccinated children will not be permitted on board

Edited by ziggyuk

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

They're offering rides on wild pigs now? Wow, that's more interesting than race tracks and water slides.

Just kidding.... 😉😀

😂  No children but wild boar , much more fun. 😂

Thanks, edited.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flipflops55 said:

Exactly so many unknown for something everyone is pushing for. It's ridiculous at this point to demand everyone to vaccinate. Yes, people with certain health issues maybe but the entire world? That's just control in my opinion. 

The reason to vaccinate as many as possible is not only to help stop the spread of the virus, but also to help stop the virus from mutating.  If a virus is spreading, it is mutating.  The early mutations in the first couple of months were harmless.  The mutations we are seeing now are enabling the virus to spread easier and to be more lethal.  Also, each new mutation means a closer chance to the virus being able to evade current and future vaccines.  The common cold has so many mutations leading to so many strains that we cannot vaccinate against it.  But, the common cold is just an inconvenience.  Covid at worst is deadly and in many cases causes long term issues even when the person may have had a slight infection.  Guess it all depends on what your definition of control is...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, flipflops55 said:

And it's been studied on adults? You all are the study subjects right now. For a something that you have to be tested to know you have.Something crazy go on here. 

Well said a lot of people are not seeing this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gizfish said:

The mutations we are seeing now are enabling the virus to spread easier and to be more lethal......

Are you certain? My understanding is that the mutations being studied now are spreading easier but are, in fact, less lethal. A virus has one job, to live. If it kills it's host too quickly that defeats the purpose. I believe most viral mutations become less deadly over time. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are you certain? My understanding is that the mutations being studied now are spreading easier but are, in fact, less lethal. A virus has one job, to live. If it kills it's host too quickly that defeats the purpose. I believe most viral mutations become less deadly over time. 

Studies of the "UK Variant" have shown that it is 55% more deadly than the original version of the virus.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03426-1

36 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Not only more deadly, the US-California super variant is said to be 11 times more deadly and significantly more resistant to the vaccine.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14170032/california-super-covid-variant-11-times-more-deadly/

12 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Studies of the "UK Variant" have shown that it is 55% more deadly than the original version of the virus.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03426-1

Thank you for sharing. I was not up to date and concede that the study published in the British Medical Journal suggests the UK variant appears more deadly.

I dug a bit deeper into the numbers and found that the study was quite small by comparison yet it still confirms that the chances of dying from the UK variant of Covid are 0.4% compared to 0.2% for 'regular' covid so I don't understand the panic. I know I sound heartless (and I lost my MIL to Covid), I don't see the ends justifying the means here. 

The worlds reaction to Covid19 leaves me with more questions than answers.

"The study found that of 54,609 COVID-19 patients who tested positive for the mutated strain, 227 died within 28 days. By comparison, 141 who tested positive for other strains died out of the same number of patients." UK variant more deadly than other coronavirus strains: study | TheHill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Just got home from my second shot. So far so good, but was disappointed to learn I am not allowed to do any strenuous activity for 24 hours. I've been working on a bunch of home improvement projects and had planned to hang some barn doors for my master closet this evening! Oh well, guess I'll be forced to finally get some rest. Glad to hear you haven't lost any limbs yet!

We weren't told of any physical limitations but they did tell us that if we did experience reactions to avoid NSAID and take tylenol.  I didn't bother to tell her that I'm taking tylenol twice a day to deal with the surgery I had about a month ago.  (I hate opioids and transition to tylenol as quickly as I can.) My surgeon OK'd the vaccine as long as we waited until at least ten days after the surgery.  I'm still on 'injured reserve' for another week or so.  Can't wait to get back to full exercising in the gym.  The surgeon told me I could lift up to ten pounds for six weeks.  I had been doing 135 pounds on the bench and over 300 on the leg presses. 

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

We weren't told of any physical limitations but they did tell us that if we did experience reactions to avoid NSAID and take tylenol.  I didn't bother to tell her that I'm taking tylenol twice a day to deal with the surgery I had about a month ago.  (I hate opioids and transition to tylenol as quickly as I can.) My surgeon OK'd the vaccine as long as we waited until at least ten days after the surgery.  I'm still on 'injured reserve' for another week or so.  Can't wait to get back to full exercising in the gym.  The surgeon told me I could lift up to ten pounds for six weeks.  I had been doing 135 pounds on the bench and over 300 on the leg presses. 

And i thought my husband was a non-compliant patient, you beat him by a mile.

6 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Both P&O and Saga who have already introduced this policy have said all guests must be vaccinated and unvaccinated children will not be permitted on board

I guess that makes it easier for the cruise lines to get to a lower capacity, if needed. If people with children would be forced to cancel, or have to decide between not cruising or cruising without their children. Whatever cabins they vacated, would not be resold.

• Like 1

It’ll suck if they don’t let kids cruise since it’s my daughters last year of being a “kid” and won’t be able to take advantage of the “kids cruise free” deals anymore. 

Mind you, there are worse things in life. 

14 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thank you for sharing. I was not up to date and concede that the study published in the British Medical Journal suggests the UK variant appears more deadly.

I dug a bit deeper into the numbers and found that the study was quite small by comparison yet it still confirms that the chances of dying from the UK variant of Covid are 0.4% compared to 0.2% for 'regular' covid so I don't understand the panic. I know I sound heartless (and I lost my MIL to Covid), I don't see the ends justifying the means here. 

The worlds reaction to Covid19 leaves me with more questions than answers.

"The study found that of 54,609 COVID-19 patients who tested positive for the mutated strain, 227 died within 28 days. By comparison, 141 who tested positive for other strains died out of the same number of patients." UK variant more deadly than other coronavirus strains: study | TheHill

Thank you for digging into the numbers. All the more reason for people to see things in context. Yes, 2x as deadly sounds awful, but when it's .4% vs .2%, as you said, it's hardly cause for panic. It's like someone saying a local bar raised the price of drinks 300%, but what the person means is they went from $2 to 6$. The percentage doesn't tell the full story, obviously. Furthermore, I see the same sort of panicked "OMG, there's a new variant of COVID, run for the hills" mentality as I saw last year "OMG there's no vaccine, we're all gonna die, it'll years to develop one. Years, I tell you!" And hear we are barely a year into it (in the US) and millions are being vaccinated with multiple options available. And most of the variants so far are treatable with the vaccines already in the market. I have total confidence that any more contagious or more deadly variants can be treated either by using the current vaccines or by tweaking them. It's too bad, but the masses are too easily frightened by deliberately sensationalist headlines. "New variant found, much more deadly, no cure in sight"! Good grief...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If NCL makes vaccinations, mandatory, I will be cancelling my December cruise on the Joy. I won't sail away alone. My sister ended up in ICU the last time she had a vaccine. Her doctor decided that avoiding them in the future was a good idea. My sister had no allergy history and has no problem taking covid tests. Only test negative people will be aboard, and running excursions.The vaccinated should be immune to infection, so where's the problem? I certainly want to know what boarding requirements are before final payment.

We Floridians thought the severe restrictions were short term. Millions of lives have been ruined. Was it worth it? I guess that question should be answered by the damaged millions.

• Like 1

If NCL makes vaccinations, mandatory, I will be cancelling my December cruise on the Joy. I won't sail away alone. My sister ended up in ICU the last time she had a vaccine. Her doctor decided that avoiding them in the future was a good idea. My sister had no allergy history and has no problem taking covid tests. Only test negative people will be aboard, and running excursions.The vaccinated should be immune to infection, so where's the problem? I certainly want to know what boarding requirements are before final payment.

We Floridians thought the severe restrictions were short term. Millions of lives have been ruined. Was it worth it? I guess that question should be answered by the damaged millions.

If NCL makes vaccinations, mandatory, I will be cancelling my December cruise on the Joy. I won't sail away alone. My sister ended up in ICU the last time she had a vaccine. Her doctor decided that avoiding them in the future was a good idea. My sister had no allergy history and has no problem taking covid tests. Only test negative people will be aboard, and running excursions.The vaccinated should be immune to infection, so where's the problem? .

If NCL makes vaccinations, mandatory, I will be cancelling my December cruise on the Joy. I won't sail away alone. My sister ended up in ICU the last time she had a vaccine. Her doctor decided that avoiding them in the future was a good idea. My sister had no allergy history and has no problem taking covid tests. Only test negative people will be aboard, and running excursions.The vaccinated should be immune to infection, so where's the problem? .