Cities along the Elbe

texanapat

12 hours ago, texanapat said:

We are looking at booking the Cities along the Elbe.  We have sailed on the Rhine a couple of times.  I know this would be a smaller ship.  I was just wondering if anyone has done this cruise and how you liked it.

Thank you

No one has done the programme "Cities along the Elbe" yet, as it was introduced in 2020, and, as almost anything else last year, did not happen in the end.

All ships on the Elbe are smaller than on other rivers, because the Elbe itself is smaller than other rivers. Also with a tendency to low water tables, thus allowing less draft of the ships. Elbe ships have around 90 Pax, if fully booked.

BUT, looking closely at the itinerary of "Cities along the Elbe", you will see, it is not a cruise in the classical meaning, but a hybrid of a bus journey will overnights on the berthed ship. See the map on https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk/cruise-destinations/europe/cities-along-the-elbe/2022-berlin-prague/index.html and explanations there.

Also see the wording on Vikings webpage (https://www.vikingrivercruises.co.uk/cruise-destinations/europe/cities-along-the-elbe/2022-berlin-prague/index.html#modal/2315496523148924) like

* Day 3: " (...) then transfer to Wittenberg to embark your Viking ship—a fine floating hotel that remains your docked home away from home until Day 5. "

* Day 5: "Today, enjoy a comfortable motor coach ride to Meissen, (...) You will join your sister ship in Dresden while your luggage is seamlessly transferred and delivered to your awaiting stateroom."

*  Day 7: "Today enjoy another morning in Dresden and, water levels permitting, a brief sail along the Elbe." (something you can get for 25 Euro, using local steamers).

Wrapped up, you will see many interesting places in the former East Germany and Czechia, you will see some fine historical cities, you will see some great landscapes, you will learn a lot about German and European history, pampered by the Viking standards you can expect. But you will not get a cruise on a river.

The programme "Elegant Elbe", which Viking offer in other seasons, shows the same places and includes sailing between Wittenberg, Germany, and Decin, Czechia (river permitting, of course).

We sailed this itinerary on Viking’s Schumann in fall 2014 - although at that time it was not titled Cities on the Elbe...just Elbe river cruise,  I believe that might have been the last year for that ship (an older one) as they mentioned a new build would be doing that route soon.

The towns we visited are exactly the same as in Viking’sCities on the Elbe itinerary now -  with bookended hotel stays in Prague and Berlin.

We had been to Prague before for 2 days.  We independently did a pre- river cruise stay in Prague for 5 days and post river cruise we spend an extra 4-5 days in Berlin.   Both are fascinating cities with much to see.  A few days we spent on sights outside of Prague and Berlin (Terezin, Czesky Krumlov, Kunta Hora,   Sachsenhausen concentration camp, etc).

It was a very enjoyable cruise, we found the towns and cities interesting and scenic. Bastei was breathtaking scenery.   

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

We did exactly this trip about four or five years ago, except that it was called "Elegant Elbe."  None of the passengers knew that it would turn into a bus trip until they arrived in Prague; and, were they not happy.  Since I had been monitoring this trip during the previous months on Cruise Critic I was aware that all trips had been cancelled for two previous months due to low water.  So, was surprised when Viking informed us five days before departure that it was a go.  As we traveled to Prague three days earlier, we had only two days to make up our minds. 

All in all, it was an enjoyable trip, marred only by Viking's lack of candor in advance of the trip.  The two identical ships are fine, although not fancy by any means.  The crew treated us well.  However, we have not returned to Viking since due to the cavalier way they treat their customers.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies.  I knew when we booked this cruise that it is mostly by bus with one day sailing.  We are ok with that.  We have taken  prior river cruises with Viking and have always been very pleased.  I understand if you didn't know going in that it is mostly bus to be disappointed.  

Hopefully, very thing will be back to normal.

@texanapat, one bonus of this "cruise" is no worries about water levels.  If you are happy with a coach tour using the ship as your private hotel & restaurant, it sounds great.  All the benefits of a cruise where you don't have to unpack/pack every day, but with a coach tour where you don't have to worry about anything but rain.  

If you are able to go, it will be interesting to see a review.  I like the "combo" style.