Cruising Without Masks?

21 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Not really....at least not for awhile. If everyone thinks like this it could wind up being a mistake. There are just too many uncertainties, to wit:  1) how long does the vaccine remain effective, and also 2) what will continue to be the role of variants going forward - which leads to one more - how will the variants that come along interplay with the vaccine effectiveness.  We're really still in the infancy of this vaccination phase and have no idea what the virus will continue to do going forward.  I like to be as optimistic as anyone, but just don't think we're anywhere near 'out of the woods'. 

Nah, this will all be in the rear view mirror soon enough. The world now has Covid fatigue, numbers are going down and will continue to do so. The medical public health officer in my region doesn't even think we'll get a third wave up here and we've only vaccinated 27 people nation wide (exaggeration but our vaccine rollout has been embarrassing to say the least). Just turn the tv off, leave the cell phone at home, and go for a nice walk outdoors. Things are looking up. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Not really....at least not for awhile. If everyone thinks like this it could wind up being a mistake. There are just too many uncertainties, to wit:  1) how long does the vaccine remain effective, and also 2) what will continue to be the role of variants going forward - which leads to one more - how will the variants that come along interplay with the vaccine effectiveness.  We're really still in the infancy of this vaccination phase and have no idea what the virus will continue to do going forward.  I like to be as optimistic as anyone, but just don't think we're anywhere near 'out of the woods'. 

Agreed.  The variants are the big wild card.

41 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I was referring to the FLU vaccine. NOT the vaccine for Covid. The two diseases are completely different animals.  I’m completely vaccinated for Covid and know I’m part of the solution for our country. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

3 hours ago, broberts said:

I've often thought that skepticism was simply intellectual lazyness.

3 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

I agree.

I would just like to believe that humans are capable of understanding the novel concept of this. Sometimes I wonder if the skepticism is really just willful ignorance.

Skepticism is not always intellectual laziness or just willful ignorance; sometimes it comes from actual history and the track record of the agencies/organizations involved.

I will say up front that I do not know all that much about this study having read only a little about it because, I have only been in Alabama since 2004 and the first time I had ever heard of the “Tuskegee Syphilis Study” has been within the last month or two. But every time it has been mentioned, it was always in connection with vaccinations and has been cited as a contributing factor to the distrust in medical science and the US government amongst African Americans leading to a very low vaccination rate in the Black community in Alabama. The bottom line is the ‘Study’ ran from 1932 to 1972 and it consisted, over that time, of 600 male participants; leading to the deaths of 128 of the participants, with 40 wives contracting the disease and 19 children born with congenital syphilis during the ‘Study’. The participants were misled to believe they were getting treatment when the true purpose of the ‘Study’ was to observe the natural course of untreated syphilis. The United States Public Health Service & the CDC were involved with the ‘Study’. This may also be why many people especially here in the Alabama are skeptical of what comes out of the CDC and the ‘experts’.

Can you say once burnt, twice shy when the subject of mask wearing or vaccinations comes up? If you are interested, you can look the study up on Wikipedia.

Edited by LeeRB

4 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Yes, we do pay for it, and we administer it.

I will follow OB's lead. The rest is not even worth a response. 

But the flu vaccine is not 100% effective? So even the vaccinated staff can catch flu. Ok maybe a lesser case but still get it.  I am assuming that masking staff only do so at the office and not in all locations October-March.  So why does your company not just get rid of the flu vaccine program they pay for and insist upon all staff wearing masks during flu season October-March in the office?. After all I assume they can't say no to the request they would have done legal challenge if they could?.

And if no legal challenge can be mounted by your company employees then what is to stop cruise lines enforcing mask wearing October-March on the ships to prevent flu outbreaks and ergo Covid and cold outbreaks?

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Agreed.  The variants are the big wild card.

I think the vaccines work against them though. I would think the massive reduction in cases in UK and USA as well prove that. And in UK we have been doing surge testing to attempt to control outbreaks of variants that don't appear to need control. We are hunting for more cases and finding less. And 33% of UK population have received first dose by now. So the vaccines must be effective?

• Like 1

We expect to have to wear a mask in terminals and in public areas, unless you are outside/top deck and distanced away from others. Dining: wearing a mask while walking to your table and then taking it off to eat. (Of course, washy washy your hands!)

That is what restaurants are doing. The staff needs to stay safe too. So you wear a mask.

If guests are not willing to comply, they will probably not be allowed to board.

I am sure there will be Rules to follow if you Choose To Cruise.

If you choose not to comply, we will miss you.

See you onboard!

45 minutes ago, RenieRaider said:

We expect to have to wear a mask in terminals and in public areas, unless you are outside/top deck and distanced away from others. Dining: wearing a mask while walking to your table and then taking it off to eat. (Of course, washy washy your hands!)

That is what restaurants are doing. The staff needs to stay safe too. So you wear a mask.

If guests are not willing to comply, they will probably not be allowed to board.

I am sure there will be Rules to follow if you Choose To Cruise.

If you choose not to comply, we will miss you.

See you onboard!

You should also wear the mask in-between courses and in-between sips of drink as well and on the balcony and possibly even in your sleep on the ship given the distance between the twin beds with possibly up to 4 in a cabin. Look at what happened in the hotel in Melbourne. There was that much virus in the air it passed from room to room when doors got opened.

Edited by ace2542
  • Haha 1