Small cruise ship for Alaska

travelen41

Looking to book a Alaska Cruise August 2022 for my elderly in-laws.  A large cruise ship would overwhelm them with all the people.  Looking for suggestions for a small cruise ship, any suggestions appreciated.  Thank you!

The smaller ships are normally premium/luxury lines. Our preference is Viking Ocean, which have a single ship in Alaska, doing 10 day cruises between Vancouver and Seward. The Viking ships have 930 pax, with a minimum age of 18+, so no kids.

Do you mean really small ships w <100 passengers or one like Heidi13 has mentioned w <1000 passengers.  Are your in-laws just stressed by the large numbers of passengers or will they have difficulties dealing w new situations.  Also, are they physically mobile.

I am not being nosy but we need to know a bit more about them to come up with really good suggestions.  When I think small cruise ships in AK, I think of ships that hold <100 people.

DON

Appreciate the reply’s.  My in-laws have only ever done the Viking & Uniworld river cruises.  So I’m trying to find something that would not overwhelm them by being too large.  I’m thinking the ships less than 1000 passengers could be an option as they are both physically able to get around with no issues.  

6 hours ago, travelen41 said:

Appreciate the reply’s.  My in-laws have only ever done the Viking & Uniworld river cruises.  So I’m trying to find something that would not overwhelm them by being too large.  I’m thinking the ships less than 1000 passengers could be an option as they are both physically able to get around with no issues.  

If they have enjoyed Viking River cruises they would find many of the VR experiences on the Ocean ships. 

23 hours ago, travelen41 said:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/caribbean-americas/alaska-inside-passage/index.html.  930 guests.  It is a Viking cruise.

DON

19 hours ago, Coral said:

I do not have personal experience but know friends who have enjoyed American Cruise Line:

https://www.americancruiselines.com/cruises/alaska-cruises 

There was 170 on my friend's ship.

Have not sailed on the American Cruise Line, but I think Coral's suggestion is a good one.  Their itineraries are attractive and I like what I have learned about the cruise experience aboard.  

1 hour ago, ctkathy said:

Alaska Dream has some good itineraries.   Alaska owned.   

I read some scathing reports of people not getting their money back from Uncruise Covid cancellations.   

Both UnCruise & Alaskan Dream provide exceptional Alaska experiences.   There have been reports of both companies not returning some money due to covid cancelations last year.