NCL vs RCCL?

dinkydee718

I obviously recognize that I am writing on the NCL Board, so most of us are obviously fans of the cruise line, but hoping to get real opinions about which cruise you’d pick:

I have only been on rccl’s quantum of the seas and hated it. I have been told that it is not indicative of rccl’s true experience and I should try oasis of the seas. To that end...trying to decided between a trip next year on NCL Encore or RCCL Oasis of the Seas. My kids have been on Breakaway and Getaway, but I understand Encore is slightly different. The big negative about Oasis is we would have adjoining cabins (2 grand suites), vs all being in one cabin on Encore (Haven 2 bedroom). Also, I will feel a little like I’m cheating on NCL, but would get over it, lol.

TIA!

The Oasis is a much bigger ship with a lot more to do. We would pick the Oasis over the Encore for the ship. 

Personally, I would not pay for 2 GS on the Oasis; I would just take 2 balcony rooms. The benefits of paying for a suite are just not there. For full disclosure, we were in a GS on the Harmony (Oasis' sister ship) on our last cruise and have booked a GS on the Quantum to Alaska next year are are familiar with the product.  

The Haven on the Encore is far superior to the Suite experience on RCCL. But, the second BR in the 2BR is very small with a sofa bed. If you have young kids, it doesn't matter as much. If you are talking about older kids, then the second BR is not as comfortable. For full disclosure, we have sailed in most of the Haven classes on the Encore sister ships and have a 2BR booked on the Joy later this year (for 2 of us). 

33 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Oasis is a much bigger ship with a lot more to do. We would pick the Oasis over the Encore for the ship. 

Personally, I would not pay for 2 GS on the Oasis; I would just take 2 balcony rooms. The benefits of paying for a suite are just not there. For full disclosure, we were in a GS on the Harmony (Oasis' sister ship) on our last cruise and have booked a GS on the Quantum to Alaska next year are are familiar with the product.  

The Haven on the Encore is far superior to the Suite experience on RCCL. But, the second BR in the 2BR is very small with a sofa bed. If you have young kids, it doesn't matter as much. If you are talking about older kids, then the second BR is not as comfortable. For full disclosure, we have sailed in most of the Haven classes on the Encore sister ships and have a 2BR booked on the Joy later this year (for 2 of us). 

Thank you for the info.

Is the Haven 2bedroom different on Encore than on the other ships? We have stayed in the 2bedroom on several ships and have never had an issue with the BR. This trip we are actually going to be down one since my oldest will be in college, so I suspect the cabin will work even better (unless it is smaller than the other ships). 

57 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Hi,

What made you hate Quantum of the Seas? This info may help us steer you in the right direction.

Full disclosure, Quantum had only been sailing for like a month when we went. So 90% of my issues were with the cruise line but, again, I have been told it was a fluke. 3 hour embarkation process, cabins not ready until 6pm, so had to wander around on day 1 with carry one, lost luggage until day 2, cabins were not where they were supposed to be (the rccl rep said they were across from each other, when in fact they were no where near each other), broken virtual balcony making full volume static noise, that took 2 days, 3 phone calls, and a trip to guest services for them to send someone to fix, non flushing toilets and non working sink, miserable employees, huge lines (like Disney World huge) to do anything, bad food, not honoring reservations...blah blah blah...you get the point.  I was told Oasis does not have these same issues.

edited to add that there were several other issues on the cruise but I have always been willing to give RCI another chance, but until now my DH was not having it. RCI had even given us a very nice future cruise credit and DH let it expire long ago rather than chalk the experience up to new ship woes.

Edited by dinkydee718

we had the 2 bedroom on both the epic and the jade. at both times we brought along 2 teenagers  1st time they were 17 and 18 next time 18 and 19 and they were both very comfortable in the 2nd bedroom.  also remember that the sofa in the living room also converts into a bed, and sometimes after fighting with my wife i found it very, very comfortable.

having the services of the butler and concierge is certainly also a major +

i do think that what the bottom line/ determining factor  ( at least for me ) is 1-price 2-intinerary.the actual size of the ship doesnt concern me, although we've been in some Caribbean ports when 3 cruise

ships were docked. its a pain in the a** if 10-15 thousand people are flooding the area at the same time

we've been sailing with ncl since 2010, about 18 cruises in that time, and the only disappointment i ever had was the aft haven suite.  the bed took up almost the entire cabin, the 2 of us couldnt comfortably pass each other, and the bathroom shower arrangement was ridiculous 

sorry for the length of this response

9 minutes ago, dinkydee718 said:

I was told Oasis does not have these same issues.

It’s been my experience that regular Royal Caribbean cruisers hate the Quantum class ships. They’re definitely different than the Voyager/Oasis class ships, lacking a royal promenade, ice rink and the massive dining room. 

Oasis is an experience. It’s massive, almost incomprehensibly so. It’s also very inward-facing... there are very few bars or restaurants onboard that offer sea views that aren’t near a pool. The entertainment is unbelievable. The 2.5 hour (including intermission) production of Cats on Oasis makes the 85 minute “Broadway” shows on NCL look like a high school production.  The aqua theater shows are astounding. We spent hours on and watching the flowriders, and an equal amount of time in the adults only solarium space. 

The food is a mixed bag. MDR is good,  but the ship excels in specialty dining. Again, mostly with views of interior spaces. The buffet is small for a ship of that size, which ca n be an issue.  The bar service is generally better than NCL, because fewer passengers have unlimited drink packages. Service overall is more... attentive, and a bit less robotic than NCL. 

While we didn’t dislike Oasis, we felt very disconnected from the ocean when sailing. It was like being in a mall in NJ, and not on a ship.

11 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

While we didn’t dislike Oasis, we felt very disconnected from the ocean when sailing. It was like being in a mall in NJ, and not on a ship.

That is so surprising to me and may be a deal breaker. My husband is moderately claustrophobic, and the only way he can do cruising is by focusing on the ocean. My husband hated the DOS on the Star because there was no outdoor access, even though he could see the ocean. Plus, living in Northern NJ, I have enough mall experiences!

1 hour ago, dinkydee718 said:

That is so surprising to me and may be a deal breaker. My husband is moderately claustrophobic, and the only way he can do cruising is by focusing on the ocean. My husband hated the DOS on the Star because there was no outdoor access, even though he could see the ocean. Plus, living in Northern NJ, I have enough mall experiences!

The lack of ocean surprised us on Oasis. Royal ships were known for their Viking Crown lounge, an amazing space with floor to ceiling windows perched on the funnel. Oasis was built with a huge Viking Crown lounge, but it was later converted to the suite lounge/restaurant (and on all other Oasis class ships) and fully eliminated on the Quantum class. It's a big loss, because no matter how inward facing the ships got, there was always a light and view-filled space to retreat to. Oasis and Quantum also went to a functional promenade deck, so lifeboats block most of the outdoor walking space views. 

If you're looking for a Royal cruise out of Bayonne, I know Adventure of the Seas used to be an option. It's an older ship, but has been updated with water slides and a flowrider. Still inward facing with a Royal Promenade, but at least old enough that there's other venues with windows everywhere. There's also Celebrity, which has great ships and service. The Summit was refurbed a year or two ago and it was like being on an almost-new smaller ship. 

One plus I will mention that if you book a suite on Oasis you don't have to make reservations for all the shows on the ship, you can just walk right in (with the exception of the Comedy Club, because it's a small area).

I found making reservations for the shows (before the cruise) was a pain, especially trying to work around dining times.

That's too bad about your Oasis experience.  We have been on NCL Breakaway a lot the last 6 years but went on Anthem from NJ last time so I can compare those two.

For overall effect, NCL is better for us. Ship is well run. Officers are approachable. Entertainment is high quality and varied.  Anthem's entertainment was amateurish... like community theater.  Breakaway's main shows are professional - stage, Piano Bar and Syd Norman's combine for a much stronger set of evening shows. Anthem had a good tribute band that only played twice and conflicted with other important shows.  Both had good lounge and pool entertainment.

On food quality: NCL specialty is better and more varied.  Main Dining room is equivalent - both are flawed with convention grade food coming out lukewarm.  Anthem had a way better Buffet set up and better food choices, especially at breakfast. Love that Royal's beverage plan included water, coffee and fresh juice. 

For the ship, Anthem beats Breakaway by a mile.  More public space, bigger spaces. More top deck available to everyone (hate how much is lost on Breakaway to Vibe and Havens). Love that there are more pools on Anthem and a great adult solarium area (and no smoking there.)  NCL has a real problem with one decent pool and not allowing teens. Teens don't want to use the kiddie pool. Anthem wins there too.

With all that comparison, I have a slight favor for NCL but would take a similar Royal cruise with no hesitation.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

That's too bad about your Oasis experience.  We have been on NCL Breakaway a lot the last 6 years but went on Anthem from NJ last time so I can compare those two.

For overall effect, NCL is better for us. Ship is well run. Officers are approachable. Entertainment is high quality and varied.  Anthem's entertainment was amateurish... like community theater.  Breakaway's main shows are professional - stage, Piano Bar and Syd Norman's combine for a much stronger set of evening shows. Anthem had a good tribute band that only played twice and conflicted with other important shows.  Both had good lounge and pool entertainment.

On food quality: NCL specialty is better and more varied.  Main Dining room is equivalent - both are flawed with convention grade food coming out lukewarm.  Anthem had a way better Buffet set up and better food choices, especially at breakfast. Love that Royal's beverage plan included water, coffee and fresh juice. 

For the ship, Anthem beats Breakaway by a mile.  More public space, bigger spaces. More top deck available to everyone (hate how much is lost on Breakaway to Vibe and Havens). Love that there are more pools on Anthem and a great adult solarium area (and no smoking there.)  NCL has a real problem with one decent pool and not allowing teens. Teens don't want to use the kiddie pool. Anthem wins there too.

With all that comparison, I have a slight favor for NCL but would take a similar Royal cruise with no hesitation.

I second all these. I went on the Ovation last year. I’m not into your time dining. RCCL is also letting you dine at the MDR any time now like NCL but NCL definitely gives you a better experience.  Shorter wait for a table. More room between tables. Shorter wait time for food, etc. 

• Like 1

Surprised about your experience on the Anthem of the Seas.  I sailed her sister, Harmony of the Seas, and found her quite enjoyable.  Haven't sailed OASIS of the Seas, but sailed her sister Allure of the Seas, which is almost identical.  True, it's a HUGE ship, but these days, they all are.  Lots to do and see, but that's also true of the large NCL ships.

It might be because I'm Platinum on NCL, but on the "-Away" ships (which I've sailed quite a bit) and the Escape, it seemed they were a bit more attentive, especially for all the private parties I was invited to which were sponsored by the staff.  Also, it was quite easy for me to request, and be granted, tours of the Haven (when I wasn't staying in the Haven).

To me, of all the premium spaces and cabins on the mainstream cruise ships, NCL's Haven does the best job, and not by a little.

I really like the Away ships on NCL.  To me, they're just about the right size.  

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Surprised about your experience on the Anthem of the Seas.  I sailed her sister, Harmony of the Seas, and found her quite enjoyable.  Haven't sailed OASIS of the Seas, but sailed her sister Allure of the Seas, which is almost identical.  True, it's a HUGE ship, but these days, they all are.  Lots to do and see, but that's also true of the large NCL ships.

It might be because I'm Platinum on NCL, but on the "-Away" ships (which I've sailed quite a bit) and the Escape, it seemed they were a bit more attentive, especially for all the private parties I was invited to which were sponsored by the staff.  Also, it was quite easy for me to request, and be granted, tours of the Haven (when I wasn't staying in the Haven).

To me, of all the premium spaces and cabins on the mainstream cruise ships, NCL's Haven does the best job, and not by a little.

I really like the Away ships on NCL.  To me, they're just about the right size.  

Think I will book Encore. I have always found NCL to be attentive too (Platinum here also). Have stayed in the Haven on NCL a bunch of times (my husband refuses to go back to regular balconies), and have had top notch experiences. I assumed all cruise lines’ suites were similar, but can tell by some of the comments here that I am mistaken.  

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Surprised about your experience on the Anthem of the Seas.  I sailed her sister, Harmony of the Seas

I think Anthem of the Seas is a Quantum-class ship while Harmony of the Seas is an Oasis-class ship.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:53 PM, farmersfight said:

I think Anthem of the Seas is a Quantum-class ship while Harmony of the Seas is an Oasis-class ship.

You are absolutely right. I was mistaken.  I get the newer ships mixed up.  Harmony is the ship I meant in the comparison.  Although, I've been on the Harmony and the Anthem, both.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Which one did you like better? (I'm booked on both).

You know, after thinking about it, I liked Harmony better.  The Allure of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas (sailed both) were just too much like a crowded mall to me.  For some reason, the smaller (by a little) Harmony seemed to hit a sweet spot for Royal Caribbean.  Yes, it was big.  But, it just seemed a little less crowded and a little easier to get around, without giving up the Royal amenities that their other big ships have.

Don't know why, but the service on the Harmony was better than it was on either the Allure or Anthem.  I know that's mostly a staff thing.  But, staff seemed to reach out to us more readily and seemed more attentive.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 9:15 PM, AstoriaPreppy said:

I second that. When we sailed on the Allure, we had a boardwalk facing stateroom. While we had an absolutely fantastic time on that cruise, I missed the ocean. We didn’t have an ocean view from our stateroom (well, unless we craned our heads to the left to see the ocean beyond the Aqua theatre). That, and the limited number of venues with good ocean views, all contributed to that feeling of disconnect from the ocean.

Also, the ship’s massive size, along with good weather on our sailing, translated into zero motion (it felt like we were docked the whole time). For some, that may be a welcome thing, but I personally like to feel a bit of motion to remind myself that I’m on a cruise. Overall, the cruise felt more like we were vacationing at a land resort than on a cruise ship.