WDW here I come. LOL

Topdog52

I just did a mock booking for my Alaska cruise that was canceled in May. My canceled cruise was $3628.10 and the new cruise would be $4994.12 and this is with their 30% Promo that has been ending for 5 months. Does anyone really think if this Promo does ever end that they would really raise this Alaska cruise up another 30% on top of this pump up price already?? They really must think we are dumb. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

The laws of supply and demand apply as much to cruise fares as with any other purchase.  Caveat Emptor!

Supply and demand? Is that why the Promo that has been ending after 3 days is still going 5 Months later. So if the price has gone up almost $1400 with this 30% Promo what will the price be after they take away this wonderful Promo. They want our FCC back and all in one swoop. LOL 

Edited by Topdog52
  • Like 1

Better make those WDW reservations soon.  Most people are finding everything booked through all the various Spring Break weeks.  I already have a club room reserved at Portofino Bay Hotel in Universal for next month.  The prices are the highest I have ever paid there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

Supply and demand? Is that why the Promo that has been ending after 3 days is still going 5 Months later. They want our FCC back and all in one swoop. LOL

Well, I think from an accounting perspective it would be better for a cruise line to have the outstanding FCC attached to a particular cruise to better define when it will be retired.  But I think most of us can readily see through the pricing model of the past few months.  As for supply and demand, there is virtually no supply, despite what shows on the booking pages (ships are not sailing), but clearly pent-up demand based on the dialog here on CC and elsewhere.  Thus fares are higher as cruise operators seek to capture as much revenue as possible in the future.  Thus as buyers we must exercise due caution IMHO.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

I just did a mock booking for my Alaska cruise that was canceled in May. My canceled cruise was $3628.10 and the new cruise would be $4994.12 and this is with their 30% Promo that has been ending for 5 months. Does anyone really think if this Promo does ever end that they would really raise this Alaska cruise up another 30% on top of this pump up price already?? They really must think we are dumb. 

They might raise the cruise by 42.86% if the Promo does end! 😉

19 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

Supply and demand? Is that why the Promo that has been ending after 3 days is still going 5 Months later. So if the price has gone up almost $1400 with this 30% Promo what will the price be after they take away this wonderful Promo. They want our FCC back and all in one swoop. LOL 

$7134.46

14 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Better make those WDW reservations soon.  Most people are finding everything booked through all the various Spring Break weeks.  I already have a club room reserved at Portofino Bay Hotel in Universal for next month.  The prices are the highest I have ever paid there.

Really? We just booked hotel and park tickets for the kid's spring break the first week of April. Hotels that are normally in the $200-$300 range are going for less than $100. I just finished reserving my days at the parks and had full availability every single day. 

43 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Really? We just booked hotel and park tickets for the kid's spring break the first week of April. Hotels that are normally in the $200-$300 range are going for less than $100. I just finished reserving my days at the parks and had full availability every single day. 

Yes, I was more mentioning March.  Spoke to many people on the disboards trying to book for this month and they were finding nothing at the moderate or deluxe levels.

• Like 1

LOL....   My DW and I were just talking about WDW last night.   If our October cruise gets canceled, we are seriously thinking about a week in the Keys and a few days "re exploring" Disney.  (We both worked there in the early 80's but have not been back since.) 

Funny how cruise withdrawal can steer you in different directions!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Alaskan cruise prices were trending up due to demand before covid.  Then, the 2020 season was cancelled and now the 2021 season is in serious jeopardy.   So, thats a lot of people who have had their Alaskan cruises cancelled and most want to re-book.  In our case, we are just flying to Alaska this summer and exploring because we have plans in 2022.

6 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

If people are willing to pay the price, regardless of what it “used to cost”, that is what the price will be. 

NCLH opened sales on a world cruise a couple of weeks ago and it sold out in a few hours. (Cost about the same as a week at WDW). 

638E4CC4-706F-4547-BDA1-EE19699BFCDA.jpeg

4F57DBDA-8AB9-4E6B-A4D2-8B1AF238E709.jpeg

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If people are willing to pay the price, regardless of what it “used to cost”, that is what the price will be. 

NCLH opened sales on a world cruise a couple of weeks ago and it sold out in a few hours. (Cost about the same as a week at WDW). 

Is the DSC included?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

What does that got to do with anything. So you have some rich people probably in politics if this is even true. NCL is so busy that I have gotten 3 Pamphlets in a 1 1/2 weeks telling me about this great 30% Promo that is ending soon. The only ones booking are the FCC people and that will stop soon seeing they quit giving a 10% discount for every cancelled cruise that you have booked. The Alaska cruise Has gone up $1500 and that is with a 30% discount on top. Good Luck NCL selling cruise at a 40 to 50% increase!!!

Edited by Topdog52
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

The laws of supply and demand apply as much to cruise fares as with any other purchase.  Caveat Emptor!

It actually has NOTHING to do with supply and demand. Right now there is NO supply.

All it is at the moment is tens of thousands of people that chose cruise credit off of their cancelled cruise (with a 25-50% bonus) who keep rebooking because they have to use up that credit and NCL inflating their fares to eat up as much of that credit as possible.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That world cruise (600 person ship capacity btw) selling out in a few hours is completely irrelevant to mainstream cruising.

• Like 1

Vacation prices are going to skyrocket everywhere as this pandemic ends. It is very similar to the 2009 crash. My then 3yo daughter and family loved going to WDW. We could go for a week and spend less than $2,000. Then it went to $3,000, then $4,000. It is now out of what I am willing to pay. Similar things will be happening to cruises, WDW, and other destinations as many families haven't vacationed for 2 years now. Popular destinations are getting in on it and going AI at lower price points. For comparison, I can go to Cancun at an AI for ~$3,000 still. Cruises are pushing $4-$5k. These island port nations have found that more money comes in from AI resorts than cruise ships. They are going to refocus their travel industry which may cause cruise ships so pain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

It actually has NOTHING to do with supply and demand. Right now there is NO supply.

As I said in Post #7, "As for supply and demand, there is virtually no supply, despite what shows on the booking pages (ships are not sailing), but clearly pent-up demand based on the dialog here on CC and elsewhere."  The principal of supply and demand does not go away just because supply effectively goes to zero.  Indeed as evidenced by this thread, consumers begin to look for a product similar enough to satiate their demand to travel/vacation, to wit WDW.

• Like 2