How many would sign up to a cruise around the U.K., but ?

Rocky of London

10 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Alternatively, the cruise companies might have a ' clear handle' on crew  vaccination rollouts but have chosen not to share their policies.

They are under no obligation to do so despite numerous discussions on the topic on various threads.

According to the quotations of Carnival Group boss Arnold Donald in UK Daily Express. The Carnival grouping appears to be projecting a 45 day return to work cycle for it's 90k employees. A cycle which once started takes in current travel restriction and quarantine requirements. Make of that statement what you will. There is no mention of Cunard in the interview.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1409703/cruise-holidays-carnival-cruises-arnold-donald-holiday-2023-travel-start-date

• 5 weeks later...

NO! I don't see the point. 

I understand the need for vaccinations & testing and I agree with the buffet set up but the thought of being under all the other restrictive protocols 24/7 once you're on the ship isn't my idea of paying for a holiday. Mind you, it will be interesting to hear passengers' feedback after taking these 'cruises to nowhere'. Do hope we don't see discarded masks littering our seas & oceans like the ones scattered everywhere on land.

2 hours ago, Huggsy said:

NO! I don't see the point. 

I understand the need for vaccinations & testing and I agree with the buffet set up but the thought of being under all the other restrictive protocols 24/7 once you're on the ship isn't my idea of paying for a holiday. Mind you, it will be interesting to hear passengers' feedback after taking these 'cruises to nowhere'. Do hope we don't see discarded masks littering our seas & oceans like the ones scattered everywhere on land.

Well, I did those cruises to nowhere out of two German ports ( Kiel and Hamburg) after the first wave of Covid. One in July ( Mein Schiff 2) and one in October (Mein Schiff 1 -  just before the second wave hit us) ! I wowed to myself many years ago- never to set foot on a German ship.

Well,  different times afford different actions. So after beeing tested negativ both times I took those cruises to nowhere- " Blue Voyges" they were called- no shore excursions whatsoever- masks mandatory, social distancing - mandatory and adhered.

Ships the size in between QM2 and QE, QV sailing with only 40% capacity.

For me it was ideal- just to relax and beeing able to be out at sea was sheer haven - esp. in these troubled days. If you are all for seeing new things , new ports of calls- constant partying,  it is not for you. Just the THING though for  a relaxing time on board a ship almost empthy. I did lenghty reports from both voyages and posted them here.

If I would be allowed to board in Southampton, sailing about the British Isles- I would be there in a heartbeat. I got my first shot of vaccine yesterday- the next in six weeks... so if they allow vaccinated Germans on board- I am there.

• Like 2

Looks like the early discussions of cruising around the U.K. has been taking “onboard” and now we have cruises starting from Southampton and as stated, you will need to have the vaccine ( 2 ) jabs  to be able to cruise.

The next situation now will be the crew .........looking at the regular countries that the ships crew normally come from.....very high infection rates...

9 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I think the crew will be fully vaccinated before they are allowed to sail out of - well everywhere.

I still hope they allowe fully vaccinated Germans on board  one of these days.

Cunard are not stipulating that the crew are vaccinated for the UK Waters cruises this summer.

We have just booked to sail 'around the UK' on 1st October where QE will be stopping at Newcastle, Inver, Glasgow, Belfast, Liverpool and Holyhead. 

They do require passengers to be UK citizens and all have to be double vaccinated. I am quite happy as this 3 months after the alleged 'full opening up' of the UK.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 7:24 PM, ace2542 said:

But not during disembarkation? Or tendering? Or excursion prep time?

Sorry for delayed response. No because if protocols had been followed you'd know if there was any contagion around by then. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 8:29 AM, SALAD MUNCHER said:

They do require passengers to be UK citizens and all have to be double vaccinated

I wonder what will happen if that evolves into a "triple vaccination" with these new currently being tested and probably upcoming variant booster shots? Depending upon if and when that rollout starts it could be a good while before everyone is able to get that third booster shot? They are being tested now and they are not doing that for nothing.

Edited by ace2542

On 4/17/2021 at 8:29 AM, SALAD MUNCHER said:

We have just booked to sail 'around the UK' on 1st October where QE will be stopping at Newcastle, Inver, Glasgow, Belfast, Liverpool and Holyhead. 

They do require passengers to be UK citizens and all have to be double vaccinated. I am quite happy as this 3 months after the alleged 'full opening up' of the UK.

Hi we are booked on this cruise also and can’t wait to be back on board QE and really looking forward to sailing into our home port Newcastle (North Shields) we did this cruise in 2019 on QV and loved it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 1:43 PM, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi we are booked on this cruise also and can’t wait to be back on board QE and really looking forward to sailing into our home port Newcastle (North Shields) we did this cruise in 2019 on QV and loved it.

Hi I also did this cruise in 2019 on Queen Victoria on my own! However this time hubby is coming with me as I gave it such a good review........

• Like 1