Caribbean Cruise Options

wowzz

I know this is a bit premature, but I'm starting to consider various cruise options for early 2023 ( and I'm fed up reading about M&H in the papers!)

With regards to P&O Caribbean cruises, can I ask the team here their thoughts on the following options.

1. Fly in the day the cruise departs, or the day before. 

2. Barbados or St Lucia for departure port.

3. Assuming a balcony cabin, Brittania or Azura ( I'm leaving Arriva out of the equation)

Thanks for all your opinions. 

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know this is a bit premature, but I'm starting to consider various cruise options for early 2023 ( and I'm fed up reading about M&H in the papers!)

With regards to P&O Caribbean cruises, can I ask the team here their thoughts on the following options.

3. Assuming a balcony cabin, Brittania or Azura ( I'm leaving Arriva out of the equation)

Fly to Barbados, doesn't matter too much whether before or on the day, you get a day before or a day at the end in Barbados so personal choice really. We have cruised in the Caribbean on both Britannia and Azura, we were not over impressed with Britannia, there just didn't seem to be any atmosphere somehow, could just have been the luck of the draw as there is not a massive difference between them. No place like the Caribbean for a winter holiday.

We have flown both the day of the cruise and the day before. Basically if you fly in the day before you ship out on the day the ship arrives back at the port if you fly in on the day then you get an extra day in port at the end. Next January we are flying in the day before.

We have always flown to Barbados but that is because we like Bridgetown a lot and it as easy walk from the port into Bridgetown (assuming P&O are going to allow you to go out on your own. By 2023 I would have expected that to be the case)

Azura has bigger balconies and cabins than Britannia but Britannia is more up to date with the Lime light club etc.

Hope this helps,

Peter and Jenny

Our favourite place to cruise.

If we are doing a standard 15 night we always go on Saturday and have the last day in Barbados. also with Saturday departures the first day after barbados is often a sea day which we prefer to a port on the first day.

We don't mind which ship but prefer Azura. I would choose Barbados airport rather than St Lucia which a long slow drive away from Castries, we have done ST Lucia after a 3 week TA and would avoid again if possible.

Think a balcony is essential in the Caribbean.

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Hi Wowzz , we have flown both the day before and on the day itself and given the choice again 

we would do the day before every time . Arriving on the same day is a long day and sat in one of bars the at turned 8.PM waiting to do the life boat drill which did not start until 8.30 -ish their time was not fun. Flying in the day before was a lot better as we had a full day to ourselves on the beaches and a night where we were awake enough to enjoy the ship sailing and a drink or two.

The sail into St Lucia is pretty with the small aircraft runway and houses which we would miss if we flew into there and trips out that day .  We would fly the day earlier, it far better than on the day . Oh and a balcony every time for watching the sail away and sail in's .

Edited by kalos

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We prefer to fly in the day before departure as we like that first day in Barbados, and then prefer to leave the ship on the day it docks.

We've always flown into Barbados, the transfer is fairly quick and easy. Our friends flew into St Lucia and found the transfer of over an hour to Castries tedious and uncomfortable - poor roads.

We've done both Britannia and Azura in the Caribbean and although we prefer Britannia the balconies are small. We like the large C deck balconies on Azura for the Caribbean.

I agree with others who say flying into Barbados is better than St Lucia (we have done both)We prefer Britannia to Azura as although the balconies are smaller, the showers have a glass screen rather than a curtain and everything is more modern There is also The Limelight Club which we like.In the Caribbean there are not many sea days so I would opt for the Itinerary that I prefer. We did a back to back on Britannia a few years ago flying out to Barbados combined with the return translantic which I can recommend, particularly if like me you don't like flying.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

We like to fly into Barbados on the Friday. Saturday out on Cool Runnings , or some other day out on the Ocean. On getting back all the folk on the Saturday flights if emerging from the tin shed to join the ship. However taking the Saturday flights means that on your last night on Friday you can go to Oistins fish fry. We did that on a hotel holiday and really enjoyed it. Britannia by choice, but not too bothered.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Barbados the day before.

Balcony cabin every time.

Either ship.

Graham.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Looks like flying in the day before is the best option.

We use our balcony a lot, so the bigger balconies on Azura sound attractive.

Just got to wait and see what the prices are like as and when the brochure is released. If they are too silly we'll have to think about a land based holiday instead.

One last question. If we book premium seats, I assume we have to take part in the midnight stampede to book our seats?

We have flown in the day before and the day of departure. As others have said it is a matter of choice, but I think I prefer to fly out the day before. Again we have sailed on both Azura and Britannia. I haven't flown into St Lucia only Barbardos. The coaches meet us at the airport and transfer has always been swift and hassle free, luggage taken straight to the ship too. 

Day before definitely for us. We can have a relaxed day before sail away. Sometimes we walk into town, sometimes not. Last year, we went on the Saturday and it was all too hectic. One year ago tomorrow (15th) we returned from our Britannia cruise and into lockdown. Love Azura because of the balconies on C deck but would happily do Britannia again.

I guess an advantage to flying in the day before departure means that you you fly straight home so don’t bump into/meet guests that arrived the day before you fly home on Azura’s 2 week trips. A silly thing to think about I know but it always makes me sad knowing new people join the ship when I leave let alone whilst your still on board. It’s Fear Of Missing Out at the extreme 😂😂

• Like 1

It seems almost unanimous that flying in the day before is preferable. This could explain why flying on the Saturday was  £200pp cheaper than Friday.We weren't fussy either way, so chose the cheaper option

• Like 1

5 hours ago, suekay said:

It seems almost unanimous that flying in the day before is preferable. This could explain why flying on the Saturday was  £200pp cheaper than Friday.We weren't fussy either way, so chose the cheaper option

And we would do the same - £400 between us is the equivalent of our bar bill for the first week!

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for all the comments so far. Looks like flying in the day before is the best option.

Just got to wait and see what the prices are like as and when the brochure is released. If they are too silly we'll have to think about a land based holiday instead.

One last question. If we book premium seats, I assume we have to take part in the midnight stampede to book our seats?

I also would recommend Azura over Britania as the balconies are much bigger and Britania does not seem to have a heart like Azura. Dave

Dave, I know what you mean about Azura’s heart. It may be because I have been on her several times but the minute I board I feel at home. I am hoping our September cruise to the Eastern Med will go ahead. I will  still sail on Britannia for the right cruise though, booked for the Baltic next year.

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

I have no choice about the day to fly in as there is only one flight a month from Glasgow!  I don’t know how necessary it is to partake in the midnight vigil as I think all the seats in premium economy are pretty good so I don’t bother booking a particular seat.  I fly solo though so it may be more important for a couple if you want to ensure sitting together. 

45 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I have no choice about the day to fly in as there is only one flight a month from Glasgow!  I don’t know how necessary it is to partake in the midnight vigil as I think all the seats in premium economy are pretty good so I don’t bother booking a particular seat.  I fly solo though so it may be more important for a couple if you want to ensure sitting together. 

I agree the seats are pretty good, but I suspect like most couples,  we do like the pairs of seats by the windows, rather than sitting in the middle block. 

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree the seats are pretty good, but I suspect like most couples,  we do like the pairs of seats by the windows, rather than sitting in the middle block. 

We too joined the midnight crew when we flew on the Airbus which had 2 seat only 

configuration at the windows  and as you say did not want to be stuck in the middle

in the row of four. That plane had a set of toilets downstairs ,so we booked seats a 

few rows away which was handy on a long flight .We think it's worth checking the seat

options ASAP as it left no undesirable seats for hours on end .

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

And we would do the same - £400 between us is the equivalent of our bar bill for the first week!

I have never noticed that. When I said fly in on Friday, having a little think about it.......,£400 cheaper🤔.

5 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Dave, I know what you mean about Azura’s heart. It may be because I have been on her several times but the minute I board I feel at home. I am hoping our September cruise to the Eastern Med will go ahead. I will  still sail on Britannia for the right cruise though, booked for the Baltic next year.

wow the Baltic, great choice, if Stockholm is on your itinerary its the best sail away we have had it lasts about 3 hours and you will love St Petersburg. Dave