Grills premium anomalies on QV world cruise

Windsurfboy

I allways thought the grills premium price was mainly for space, then a bit more for food and service.

When looking at world cruise QV 2023 noticed something strange

Brittania balcony  from £15500

Princess Grill         from £40000

Queens Grill           from £50000

At these prices you could book two adjoining interlinked Brittania balcony rooms , use one as sleeping , one as lounge,  for £31000.

Same space as a QG , means you're  paying £19000 pp for QG food and perks,

Yet on the QM cruise the grill premium is  much less brittannia balcony 14400 ,PG 35000, QG 40000 

Wonder if anyone has ever done thie

29 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Interesting idea. Does QV actually have any interconnecting Britannia balcony cabins like QM2 does? I haven't seen the -><- connecting staterooms symbol used on the QV (or QE) deck plans.

I can't find on the deck plans either.

You can only book two adjacent cabins, but not "connecting".

33 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

My calculations assume pay full price for 2 people in both cabins, so if single supplement is 100% doesn't matter. 

Since you aren't actually putting two people in each cabin, that's the potential issue I see with your suggestion. Will Cunard allow you to purchase two cabins with the same two people listed in each cabin? Seems like that might run afoul of some ship manifest or muster/lifeboat regulations that have to account for who is in each cabin.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this though, since I don't know all the rules and regulations. Maybe they are cool with you booking a second cabin you won't actually be sleeping in. Mostly just thinking out loud here. I do remember stories from the golden age of ocean liner travel where passengers might book a second cabin like this, perhaps just to store all their luggage in the other cabin.

Edit: Never mind. I totally missed the point that you could book one person in each cabin and not incur any additional cost with the single supplement. Since the Britannia single supplement is usually 75%, you could actually come out ahead that way. My bad!

Edited by bluemarble

I would say the premium paid for the QG ticket is for the overall experience rather than the dining and other perks.

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I allways thought the grills premium price was mainly for space, then a bit more for food and service.

When looking at world cruise QV 2023 noticed something strange

Brittania balcony  from £15500

Princess Grill         from £40000

Queens Grill           from £50000

At these prices you could book two adjoining interlinked Brittania balcony rooms , use one as sleeping , one as lounge,  for £31000.

Same space as a QG , means you're  paying £19000 pp for QG food and perks,

Yet on the QM cruise the grill premium is  much less brittannia balcony 14400 ,PG 35000, QG 40000 

I would say the premium paid is for the whole experience rather than dining and perks.

2 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

I can't find on the deck plans either.

You can only book two adjacent cabins, but not "connecting".

My understanding is that there are no connecting cabins on QE or QV. However, were one to book two adjacent balcony cabins, would it be possible to connect the two balconies (i.e., move the partition between them)? - not quite the same thing, but you wouldn't always have to go out into the corridor to move between rooms.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

My understanding is that there are no connecting cabins on QE or QV. However, were one to book two adjacent balcony cabins, would it be possible to connect the two balconies (i.e., move the partition between them)? - not quite the same thing, but you wouldn't always have to go out into the corridor to move between rooms.

There cant be any adjacent cabins or balconies unless it was planned this way initially when they were building the ship. In any case, I wouldnt like to share my cabin with anyone beside me 

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Almost.

Many years ago we were planning a QE2 cruise with another couple. The plan was to book three adjoining cabins and have the middle one set up as a living room, for all of us, with a connecting bedroom on either side. As you have found there can be considerable savings against a larger cabin. From memory I think there was the potential to connect up to five, or maybe six cabins on QE2. Unfortunately due to a death in the family our cruise didn’t go ahead. 

There were several QG cabins that had connecting Mauritania singles, for your maid.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I do remember stories from the golden age of ocean liner travel where passengers might book a second cabin like this, perhaps just to store all their luggage in the other cabin.

We have met one couple on a World Cruise that had booked a second cabin and Cunard emptied it and fitted it with hanging rails as a giant walk-in wardrobe!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Most, if not all, of the balcony dividers open. There may be exceptions at the ‘corners’, where the balconies step in, or out, or at the fire zone boundaries.

I just thought they'd have interconnected rooms for families.  That's what we had when our kids were young in hotels. As they don't have family rooms on the queens.

I know you pay for the whole Grills  experience,  but a 65% premium (90% if you can get two rooms at only  a 75 % single supplement ) is a lot to pay over the same square footage (and two bathrooms) in Brittania.  It just struck me as if Cunard must know there will be super demand for grills.

The 33% premium on QM seems steep but more reasonable. 

Could I be bothered to do this, I  very much doubt it, but it does make sense. The one draw back is that the Verandah is only speciality restaurant on Cunard,  and would like more variety, but if you eat in Verandah every night for 100 nights expect (or hope) they would be flexible .