Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

My husband has recently been diagnosed with a 'suspected' TIA (mini stroke).  The doctor told him it is impossible to be definite after the event but has prescribed blood thinners, he generally feels really well in himself.  Does anyone have have a clue how much extra we might have to pay in insurance?  We have no idea if it will be a few pounds or hundreds 😲  There are no other conditions to declare.

I will, of course, be calling our insurers before we next travel in April but am just curious to know how much the loading might be.

3 hours ago, Waju said:

My husband has recently been diagnosed with a 'suspected' TIA (mini stroke).  The doctor told him it is impossible to be definite after the event but has prescribed blood thinners, he generally feels really well in himself.  Does anyone have have a clue how much extra we might have to pay in insurance?  We have no idea if it will be a few pounds or hundreds 😲  There are no other conditions to declare.

I will, of course, be calling our insurers before we next travel in April but am just curious to know how much the loading might be.

Suggest dummy, on line quotes, with various insurers, such as Explorer Travel,  may give you some guide. May or may not be helpful to you!

7 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Suggest dummy, on line quotes, with various insurers, such as Explorer Travel,  may give you some guide. May or may not be helpful to you!

Great idea, thank you.  I will try that this morning.

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Having said that, just read that they won't cover you for quarantining if you are negative but been in contact with Covid and put off the ship.  Sigh, that won't work.

Those insurance companies that declare they do offer cover, must be in a very small minority. We are with LV, and I thought from reading the policy we would be covered, but talking to them confirmed otherwise. It seems to be a gap, that no one wants to fill, but if pushed, they may cover 'on a case by case basis based on particular circumstances'  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Having said that, just read that they won't cover you for quarantining if you are negative but been in contact with Covid and put off the ship.  Sigh, that won't work.

That was found with most insurance companies, but Moley did intimate that P&Os current policy is to ensure that no passenger is left out of pocket as a result.

We have used Staysure for the past few years. We won’t be using them again however. We paid quite a lot as my husband has health problems. Our issue with them is that they claim to pay out for missed ports. We are still battling wither over two missed ports on our September cruise and one on our recent Caribbean cruise. We have all the required information from P & O but they are still making things difficult for us. They twice sent us the wrong claim form and we have now to complete another one. My husband is going to write to the Ombudsman if they do not fulfil their obligations in the next week.

• Like 1

Holiday Extras use Great Lakes as their underwriter.  It is a common mistake to look at the name of the company on the insurance.  Buyers should check the name of the underwriter/claims company.  Great Lakes are one of the best. However a reminder to all currently buying insurance that the Allianz insurance policies (including those issued via paid bank accounts)  do cover the offloading into quarantine with a negative test. Myself and several other board contributors have this in writing from Allianz.

95% of UK travel insurance policies do not cover offloading to quarantine without a positive covid test.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Holiday Extras use Great Lakes as their underwriter.  It is a common mistake to look at the name of the company on the insurance.  Buyers should check the name of the underwriter/claims company.  Great Lakes are one of the best. However a reminder to all currently buying insurance that the Allianz insurance policies (including those issued via paid bank accounts)  do cover the offloading into quarantine with a negative test. Myself and several other board contributors have this in writing from Allianz.

95% of UK travel insurance policies do not cover offloading to quarantine without a positive covid test.

Will take a look at Allianz.

I do appreciate that cost can be a big influence - my OH is only 65 but has a myriad of very serious issues including a heart defect he was born with.  Our annual worldwide policy for him alone to cover medical conditions is over £1,400.  I use the travel policy attached to our joint bank account for my own cover and in the event of an offloading into quarantine we are both covered.

Just now, Megabear2 said:

I do appreciate that cost can be a big influence - my OH is only 65 but has a myriad of very serious issues including a heart defect he was born with.  Our annual worldwide policy for him alone to cover medical conditions is over £1,400.  I use the travel policy attached to our joint bank account for my own cover and in the event of an offloading into quarantine we are both covered.

Wow, thought our quote was high.  Holiday Xtras look OK to me.  don't need it yet - just looking for us and our friend.  She is 86 with just blood pressure.  Her quote was £450 which is pretty good.

2 hours ago, Jennizor said:

We have used Staysure for the past few years. We won’t be using them again however. We paid quite a lot as my husband has health problems. Our issue with them is that they claim to pay out for missed ports. We are still battling wither over two missed ports on our September cruise and one on our recent Caribbean cruise. We have all the required information from P & O but they are still making things difficult for us. They twice sent us the wrong claim form and we have now to complete another one. My husband is going to write to the Ombudsman if they do not fulfil their obligations in the next week.

That's interesting.  We're with Staysure and have put in a claim for a missed port last month.

I have found their claim system for missed ports a bit hit and miss.  As you say, no dedicated form for missed ports, though I managed to phone the company that manages their claims and was told which form to complete.  Filled out the form on their claim portal and attached electronic copies of requested documents, including the letter from the ship confirming the missed port call.  Only pinged it off about two weeks ago.  Will post how it goes....

On 1/2/2022 at 1:14 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

That's interesting.  We're with Staysure and have put in a claim for a missed port last month.

I have found their claim system for missed ports a bit hit and miss.  As you say, no dedicated form for missed ports, though I managed to phone the company that manages their claims and was told which form to complete.  Filled out the form on their claim portal and attached electronic copies of requested documents, including the letter from the ship confirming the missed port call.  Only pinged it off about two weeks ago.  Will post how it goes....

We just got quite a surprise,  I was emailed by Staysure earlier saying that our claim for the two missed ports from our Sept/Oct cruise has been approved. Just one more to go now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

We just got quite a surprise,  I was emailed by Staysure earlier saying that our claim for the two missed ports from our Sept/Oct cruise has been approved. Just one more to go now. 

Good to hear.  We haven't heard anything back yet, but only put our claim in about 3 weeks ago.

On 12/30/2021 at 9:54 PM, Waju said:

Staysure charged me an extra £103 when I disclosed a hospital admission because of my sciatica taking our toll to over £300 us being 56 and 60 in good health otherwise. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Staysure charged me an extra £103 when I disclosed a hospital admission because of my sciatica taking our toll to over £300 us being 56 and 60 in good health otherwise. 

Ouch!  Still that is better than my friends Mum who has just paid £2,800 for insurance for 2 weeks in Mexico - the excess on any claim was £4,000!

On 1/2/2022 at 11:00 AM, Megabear2 said:

Hi Megabear2 , been trying to get insurance quotes all day and went on line for Alliance but they don’t ask for any medical questions, I tried reading the t&cs and not sure if they cover existing medical conditions, even though mine are minor conditions is this right ? Any help on this would be appreciated 🙏

Allianz do offer cover for some conditions.  My own policy is through my bank Halifax and surprisingly they have stated that at renewal they will cover my OH for heart problems, fibromyalgia, depression, IBS and blood pressure problems associated.

They will not insure over 70.  If you are under 70 worth giving Allianz a call, never tried online I'm afraid. As an aside do you have a paid for bank account as you may have cover but just need to declare medical conditions for a premium.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for that megabear I don’t have a paid bank account attached to any insurance policy, but I will phone them up and get a quote that w@y and declare my medical stuff all minor issues really and I’m well under 70 so worth a phone call 

many thanks Sandra