Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

39 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The website may well crash at 8.30. i am logged in and ready to go, refreshing the site every minute or so 🤞

When you phone Dave have a deck plan handy.

P&O have different prices for the balconies, balcony with sofa, superior deluxe and Suite cabins.

They might be guaranteed but it is in the relevant grade G or H or I or D or B etc.

Good luck.

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That’s a shame Pete. We were booked on the original Iona maiden cruise as well. Out of interest, how much were they asking for a suite on the maiden ‘cruise to nowhere’?

Full suites on the 7 day maiden are from £4798. 

At the prices offered, a cruise to nowhere does not appeal in any way. It'd be like floating in a prison and having to pay for the privilege. I can travel throughout our beautiful UK for a fraction of the price and actually stop off at places. I'm also still not convinced that the virus will not be spreading like wildfire. Just because we are vaccinated it doesn't mean we cannot contract or pass on Covid. I wish those who are booking well but think I'll wait a while to see how things pan out next year. I sadly don't think Covid is finished with us yet by a long way!

22 hours ago, shopaholic6 said:

Isn’t the assumption (and I agree, it is ONLY an assumption) that the advice will change as from 17th May as per the road out of lockdown? All these cruises would be after that, so would be covered? 🤔

Not if they were booked BEFORE 17 May. I checked with my insurers.

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

When you phone Dave have a deck plan handy.

P&O have different prices for the balconies, balcony with sofa, superior deluxe and Suite cabins.

They might be guaranteed but it is in the relevant grade G or H or I or D or B etc.

Good luck.

no longer accepting phone bookings - deluxe balconies show itinerary not available - normal balconies still looping

been on the site for over 45 minutes so far

Edited by davecttr

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

no longer accepting phone bookings - deluxe balconies show itinerary not available - normal balconies still looping

You might be timed out.

This happened to a friend's TA this morning but the TA went back in and booked a cabin for them.

9 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Full suites on the 7 day maiden are from £4798. 

Blimey. I’ve just checked my records and that’s around £200 a night more than we have paid for full suites on Britannia (3 times), Ventura and Arcadia for proper cruises. Doubtless some will be prepared to pay that, but I can see why you aren’t amongst them! 

Just now, ohnonotmeagain said:

As I understand it, see post #2 of travel insurance thread, its not when you book ,it's when you travel.

Well that's what I thought but the reply to my previous post by Host Sharon would suggest otherwise 🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You might be timed out.

This happened to a friend's TA this morning but the TA went back in and booked a cabin for them.

Tried it, no difference. The site is sort of queuing you then just shows an error message

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

As I understand it, see post #2 of travel insurance thread, its not when you book ,it's when you travel.

According to All Clear - it's when you book, since that is when your cover starts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

Interesting where international waters begin.  Basically the summer cruises to comply must stay within 12 nautical miles or 22 kms. 

FC8306F2-76F0-4377-ADB7-0F06717DFD92.jpeg

I don’t think that they would have to remain within UK waters at all times, given that ‘international waters’ doesn’t constitute going abroad as it’s really ‘no mans land’ (if that makes sense) and nobody is getting off, so not going abroad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

Well that's what I thought but the reply to my previous post by Host Sharon would suggest otherwise 🤔

P&O cannot sell cruises which demand insurance and then the insurance turns out to be invalid because the cruise was booked before May.

I don't have annual insurance any more, i will get single trip before the final payment date

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I think that you may have misunderstood the point, which was that a room in a modern Premier Inn is better equipped and more comfortable than a cabin on a P&O ship. Clearly the two aren’t really comparable, as one is a land based hotel and the other on a cruise ship travelling to different places with food and entertainment, but the point was made as someone had likened P&O cabins to boutique hotels, which I felt was a stretch!

I’m sure that we all worked hard for our money, whatever jobs we did. I was a director of a large household name company and although now retired I am still a higher rate tax payer, so I haven’t used Premier Inns because I can’t afford better, but because they offer great accessible rooms that I can’t get even in many hotels that cost ten times as much. On many of our P&O cruises we have had suites, because we have valued the extra space and the benefits that they offer but equally, even though I am very fortunate that I can afford the best things in life, I still enjoy getting great value for money! Some of the Premier Inn accessible rooms that we have stayed in at around £30 a night have been bigger and better than P&O suites that have cost us £500 a night, so that sort of bargain is very much to my taste!

No problem if premier inns is your thing great but you missed my point, that type of a holiday is not for us one night before a flight/cruise is enough for us in a premier inn.

Good luck to everyone who books. Hope they have a great time, stay safe and cant wait to hear what it is like. 

As for me, will not be booking at those prices, I dont mind being on the ship but i like to have the good weather as well, esp as we can only go during school holidays.

But enjoy those who do get away

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

I don’t think that they would have to remain within UK waters at all times, given that ‘international waters’ doesn’t constitute going abroad as it’s really ‘no mans land’ (if that makes sense) and nobody is getting off, so not going abroad. 

Reminds me of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston's book about the first non-stop solo sailing circumnavigation.

When he sailed into Falmouth after 312 days at sea going round the world he was boarded by Customs who asked where he had sailed from.  He replied Falmouth. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

My understanding was as long as you were currently insured when you booked a holiday you are okay  it is only if the gov advice when you actually go is against travel then you could claim against the holiday company.

• Like 1

I saw my email from P&O this morning to get in quick and beat the queue...

Just wanted to say that we have, as others referred to on neighbouring threads, gone for Fred Olsen and Princess equivalents. 

So if anyone would like to take my place in the P&O staycation queue then please feel free 🤣

We'll have a look if the Winter 22/23 offering is better once released, if not just cash in our remaining refunds.