Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

Pink our cabin steward wore the same as yours but our butler worn the usual smart waistcoat and white shirt.

I did find it odd that the app couldn’t be used to book entertainment but you could cancel previously booked seats. 
The virtual queues are a great idea and work well although an audible notification when your turn has come would be a welcome addition.

Further to Pink-belle’s comment on once a day service, we were advised to put out the “Make me up” sign when leaving in the evening so they know no one is in the cabin and it is “safe” to enter. This may only apply to suites but worth a try.

2 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Just now, Pink-belle said:

In the Crows Nest on the first night, I asked for the drinks menu, and was given “a drop to drink”. So I asked for the Gin menu and was given Let’s beGin.  So I then said I was looking for Gin Cocktails not the perfect serve.

I’m sure all of us who love the Gins in the Crows Nest remember you had the Gin description and then an option of Perfect Serve or a cocktail containing the Gin.

so the first server tried to tell me that’s what he had given me, I said it wasn’t so another server came over,  and said “it’s because of Corona madam” implying that had bought in a limited menu.

Another server came over and said, it’s not Corona this is the “New Menu”.  He shared my dismay as he too liked talking about the previous cocktails, and making recommendations etc.  He asked what I would like, and I said a Laverstoke, he went to ask the bar tender and said if I came back the next night Laverstoke would be available ❤️

it was, every night after that, he was such a star.  

Anyway this “it’s because of Corona madam” excuse was wearing thin as I began to realise it was a half answer.  “Because of Corona we have limited supplies” Because of Corona we have to limit the staff in the bar area, so we can’t offer the cocktails as they take too much time” they would be answers. 

So, when I was at the loyalty desk I asked whether those Cocktail options would be coming back.  She called the Head of the department, who arrived and said he had asked the manager of the Crows Nest to bring the menus down.  Why we waited we discussed the use of “it’s because of Corona”  and he agreed his staff should not just be saying that, and he  was disappointed if that was the case.  I have to say this whole conversation was very jovial, it was then that he said about the agreement with Salcombe Gin, and reading between the lines, the suggestion is this has limited some of their choices, but they “hope” to have something to replace the “old retired” menu. 
so, Dan arrives proudly holding copies of the new menus, telling me they have the cocktails, ummm where?  So they then look and agree it’s only perfect serve 😉

Then Dan uses the classic “it’s because of Corona” we actually saw his boss roll his eyes at this point. 

I really hope they listen to feedback as they tried to say the cocktails weren’t popular and that’s why they had gone.  I don’t believe this they always seemed to be doing a roaring trade when I was there.  People seemed to mainly order wine this cruise.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sallybunny said:

So they've kept all the very fruity sweet cocktails but none of the lovely gin cocktails. It made the Crow's Nest special. Ah well, I'll have to maybe try to adapt. 

Any news on the spa?

I’m sorry I never went to the Spa, we were told before sailing the thermal suite/enclave would be closed, and that’s all I really use.  The reception desk was fully staffed, and the horizon full of spa talks and pamper sessions, so I guess was open for treatments.

the “drinks” menu was the same at all the bars I frequented.  The good news is The House still had the Peller Ice Cuvee.

5 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Pink our cabin steward wore the same as yours but our butler worn the usual smart waistcoat and white shirt.

I did find it odd that the app couldn’t be used to book entertainment but you could cancel previously booked seats. 
The virtual queues are a great idea and work well although an audible notification when your turn has come would be a welcome addition.

Further to Pink-belle’s comment on once a day service, we were advised to put out the “Make me up” sign when leaving in the evening so they know no one is in the cabin and it is “safe” to enter. This may only apply to suites but worth a try.

I did put my sign up, but no Joy.

I think the app has potential, I really liked being able to keep an eye on a queue whilst sat in the Glass House, as you could join at your leisure, at one point it got to 13 people on Celebration Night, where it was mostly 4 every other time I looked.  So we then decided it would be a good time to join, and just finished our drinks and didn’t order another one. 

I found I was cancelling things rather than booking them, as the weather was so nice and more activities on board that clashed with pre booked things.

it was so nice to be on holiday,.

• Like 3

Arrived at the port around 11am took the luggage around 11:30 if you were early for your time they sent you back to deposit your luggage at a different spot.  They checked vaccine details very closely checking when you had the 1st and 2nd jab then covid test, short wait about 15 minutes seemed like hours especially as other people started to get results who had the test after us. They checked travel insurance and did the health questionnaire again then we waited to board then on to the ship can't believe we were the 1st two passengers to board sat now with my feet up chilling. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, borders64 said:

Arrived at the port around 11am took the luggage around 11:30 if you were early for your time they sent you back to deposit your luggage at a different spot.  They checked vaccine details very closely checking when you had the 1st and 2nd jab then covid test, short wait about 15 minutes seemed like hours especially as other people started to get results who had the test after us. They checked travel insurance and did the health questionnaire again then we waited to board then on to the ship can't believe we were the 1st two passengers to board sat now with my feet up chilling. 

Have a wonderful time, I hope you are as lucky as we were with the weather.  Is it half price in the speciality restaurants again tonight? 

43 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I’m sorry I never went to the Spa, we were told before sailing the thermal suite/enclave would be closed, and that’s all I really use.  The reception desk was fully staffed, and the horizon full of spa talks and pamper sessions, so I guess was open for treatments.

the “drinks” menu was the same at all the bars I frequented.  The good news is The House still had the Peller Ice Cuvee.

It's the thermal suite I was after! Two of my favourite things not available. But it's a holiday and will be amazing no matter what! I can't wait for Sunday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

I did put my sign up, but no Joy.

I think the app has potential, I really liked being able to keep an eye on a queue whilst sat in the Glass House, as you could join at your leisure, at one point it got to 13 people on Celebration Night, where it was mostly 4 every other time I looked.  So we then decided it would be a good time to join, and just finished our drinks and didn’t order another one. 

I found I was cancelling things rather than booking them, as the weather was so nice and more activities on board that clashed with pre booked things.

it was so nice to be on holiday,.

I also found the drinks menu lacking and although my favourite gin was not listed on the Crows Nest menu it was available so I suspect things will return to “normal”.

I think the app is a step forward but needs work.

I intend to write to P&O with a list of observations, not as a complaint but as feedback to help with further returns to sailing. If they listen who knows but I will know I tried.

I hope everyone sailing in the coming weeks has as much fun as we did.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, lynn2002 said:

Does that mean that there is no 1,000 passenger limit on 50% of capacity?

Ships radio for tonight's departure  978 passengers  and 1202 crew . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you know if they are going to stick to 50% for the rest of the staycations or just until restrictions are lifted most probably later in July?

Were you given the impression that they will continue selling cabins even when past 50%?

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

From the 8th July onwards 50% capacity vaccinated passengers.

We have a 4 night booked for August and decided to book a 3 night for July. Nothing available when we looked last week, but some available today, so we booked one. It seems that they have gone for the 50% now. That may increase soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

From the 8th July onwards 50% capacity vaccinated passengers.

We were one of those that had our booking cancelled due to capacity constraints.  We got an email today advising us the following:

"We’ve been advised of updated government guidance regarding the number of guests allowed on Britannia and Iona for our UK coastal cruises this summer. Cruise lines that require guests to be fully vaccinated are now able to sail with 50% of their ship’s guest capacity. This means that from 8 July P&O Cruises will now sail with more guests." 

We were given an option to rebook but cabins or prices were not guaranteed. I called P&O and managed to get the same deal as we had before.

• Like 7

One thing I forgot to mention, in the standard balconies, shampoo is now in a wall mounted large bottle like the shower gel.  No little bottles of conditioner and body lotion.  
I was cutting down on my toiletries as I like The White company ones supplied, but was very glad I had a leave in conditioner in my bag. 

• Like 4

Last gov. UK update June 15th according to the guidence on the website,  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel

Perhaps there will be an official announcement soon to change this, looking at the football crowds and Wimbledon I think it's fair to sail with 50% capicity 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

No little bottles of conditioner and body lotion.  

I believe it was P&O's intention to do this to reduce plastics before covid became a thing.  However, as I understood it you just ask your cabin steward and they would be supplied.  There are reports of others on unmentionable sites successfully doing this.  Will find out if you can in 3 weeks.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

I believe it was P&O's intention to do this to reduce plastics before covid became a thing.  However, as I understood it you just ask your cabin steward and they would be supplied.  There are reports of others on unmentionable sites successfully doing this.  Will find out if you can in 3 weeks.

That makes sense, I found it more convenient having the Shampoo wall mounted.  Personally I didn’t miss the little bottles, but I did usually bring them home and leave out for guests to use. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

That makes sense, I found it more convenient having the Shampoo wall mounted.  Personally I didn’t miss the little bottles, but I did usually bring them home and leave out for guests to use. 

I have run out of the little bottles of lotion, and have resorted to 'borrowing' the wife's large bottles I had purchased in the White Company shops, either in Winchester or Southampton's stores.🤣

I see Britannia is scheduled to continue departing from Southampton at 6pm, at least in the short term.  I am thinking that P&O ships used to sail earlier than that on embarkation day - am I right or just dreaming it?  I am thinking it has been changed because of covid.

Edited by tring