Will you sail on " nowhere" cruise if offered?

ISABELLA

4 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

Just out of curiosity, do you know why this isn't allowed under the US law?

It’s an immigration and visa issue with an international vessel and a crew traveling on crew visas. Since the vessel never calls outside the US, the crew needs work visas. There are tie ins to the PVSA, but it’s really a visa and tax issue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

It'd have to be about 1/3 to 1/2 the going rate, or free.  Even though nowadays I sail mostly to be waited upon (been to ports by sea/land multiple times), with the price X is charging a solo with AI, I probably could hire a live-in for a week to cook and clean and come out way ahead.  Suppose I'd need to tell Alexa to play ocean sounds on the everywhere group, too.  😉

Same for me - I sail mostly to enjoy the pampering and relaxation. I'd happily take this hypothetical journey at 1/2 rate or less. 

• Like 1

If allowed, which it won’t be, I am a definite YES, at least to begin with if we are talking Caribbean. While I certainly prefer a few stops, right now seven days onboard of being pampered, getting served great meals, enjoying live music and shows — beats quarantining at home that’s for sure!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, markeb said:

It’s an immigration and visa issue with an international vessel and a crew traveling on crew visas. Since the vessel never calls outside the US, the crew needs work visas. There are tie ins to the PVSA, but it’s really a visa and tax issue. 

Ahhhhhh... thank you 🙂

On the other hand, there is the concept of a “ dockside charter” where the ship really goes nowhere.....it becomes a floating hotel.  This has been done for the Olympics and for Carnaval in Rio and even for a large convention in San Francisco. In those cases, people were allowed to check in and out on a daily basis. But you could also make it a three-, five-, or seven-day package.  Food, drink, entertainment, all included.  All the pampering of a cruise ship without ever leaving the dock.

I’m pretty sure that would be allowed.

We've been to the same countries, cities and ports many, many times. The ship has become the destination, anything else is just icing on the cake.

So yes, we would definitely cruise to nowhere, if possible.

• Like 2

I would cruise on a 100% fully vaccinated ship (all passengers and crew) on a nowhere cruise.  That would be one of the safest vacations I could take right now.  But it would not be on Millennium or M-Class as there are too few options for activities and dining on board.  Maybe E-Class would be my choice in this situation.  Iconic Suite?  I would go this afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I would cruise on a 100% fully vaccinated ship (all passengers and crew) on a nowhere cruise.  That would be one of the safest vacations I could take right now.  But it would not be on Millennium or M-Class as there are too few options for activities and dining on board.  Maybe E-Class would be my choice in this situation.  Iconic Suite?  I would go this afternoon.

Rick, I fully agree with you about sailing on a “fully vaccinated ship, I would join you. But I would be concerned about X's exception to children who are not required to be vaccinated.

There have been multiple news stories lately of children who have been hospitalized with Covid, especially with the B117 variant. Some of the children were asymptomatic.

A Covid vaccination will not necessarily prevent someone from getting sick, it will only prevent severe illness.

(Want to split the cost of the Iconic Suite?)

There are multiple options to cruise from Southampton. Just ten minutes from home. Cannot say I fancy it. We love the itinerary and the excitement of new ports and sights.

The trips seem to be mainly limited to Liverpool and Greenock (Glasgow). My wife is from Greenock. A weeks to cruise to spend a day with the in-laws - no thanks.

Thanks for those folk for being the guinea pigs.

Thank you much for participation. It was a hypothetical question, but if all law required criteria is met  and such cruise is offered, we will book it, since we enjoy sea days. Over the years I observed that a lot of people don't even get of the ship in the Caribbean, that is why I thought cruise to " nowhere" might be an option. Of cause, for no other destination this will be viable. I remember 7 days cruise, when we were avoiding big storm in the Caribbean and end up with a cruise to nowhere with 2 hours stop in the Bahamas before returning to Florida. We still had a good time.

Hopefully cruising will resume soon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Rick, I fully agree with you about sailing on a “fully vaccinated ship, I would join you. But I would be concerned about X's exception to children who are not required to be vaccinated.

There have been multiple news stories lately of children who have been hospitalized with Covid, especially with the B117 variant. Some of the children were asymptomatic.

A Covid vaccination will not necessarily prevent someone from getting sick, it will only prevent severe illness.

(Want to split the cost of the Iconic Suite?)

To me, fully vaccinated ship means just that.  No exceptions.  When children are vaccinated they can join us.  Not now.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

To me, fully vaccinated ship means just that.  No exceptions.  When children are vaccinated they can join us.  Not now.

👍🏻 😊
I agree.

X's description of “fully vaccinated “ is misleading.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 3

If it was a cruise to nowhere in the Caribbean, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  I've seen most of the islands and while I can't wait to go back, 7 days at sea sounds lovely to me.  As for kids, one thing I love about X is it's reduced appeal for young kids.  I can't imagine taking young kids on a X cruise to nowhere.  I think they'd get bored.   There are plenty of more "kid friendly" cruise lines to take them. So yes, fully vaccinated should mean fully vaccinated.  Even more reason to keep the kids away for a while.

• Like 2