Florida governor signs executive order that bans mandated use of Covid-19 vaccine passports

EasyGoingGuy

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an Executive Order Friday banning the mandated use of Covid-19 passports in the state.

The Order, effective immediately, says vaccines are available but not mandated in the state and cites freedom and privacy concerns as the primary basis for the action. 

The Order says the implementation and enforcement of vaccine passports would “create two classes of citizens based on vaccinations.”

The order prohibits any government entity or business from requiring a vaccine passport.

DeSantis signaled earlier this week that he would not support vaccine passports.

"It's completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine to just simply be able to participate in normal society," said DeSantis Monday during a news conference.

45 minutes ago, EasyGoingGuy said:

It's completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine to just simply be able to participate in normal society," said DeSantis Monday during a news conference.

This is not “normal society “ .

• Like 2

Appears that he's totally against the concept.

from Florida Executive Order 21-81...

"No Florida government entity, or its subdivisions, agents, or assigns, shall be permitted to issue vaccine passports, vaccine passes, or other standardized documentation for the purpose of certifying an individual’s COVID-19 vaccination status to a third party,"

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/orders/2021/EO_21-81.pdf

Edited by EasyGoingGuy
add link

These are the Florida government's immunization rules for schoolchildren. The information is directly from floridahealth.gov, our official state government web site. 

"The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.  Florida requires certain vaccines to be administered before children may enroll and attend childcare and school."

Immunizations Required for Public/Non-public Preschool Entry (Age-appropriate doses as indicated)

• DTaP
  • IPV
  • MMR
  • Varicella
  • Hib
  • Pneumococcal conjugate (PCV13)
  • Hepatitis B (Hep B)

DeSantis signaled earlier this week that he would not support vaccine passports.

"It's completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine to just simply be able to participate in normal society," said DeSantis Monday during a news conference.

So one would conclude that going to school is not participating in normal society. Crazy place, Florida.

• Like 8

Well I guess  no Covid free cruises  leaving from Florida 😲

Then when someone gets or spreads the virus onboard  the ship  he can deny the ship entry

• Like 1

Totally a none issue and just more DeSantis blah blah ---

Please read the executive order in its entirety.

• Cruise ships are not registered in Florida and are not Florida businesses. 
  • Federal laws/edicts superseded the executive order so if CDC requires vaccines for cruisers nothing Governor Ron can do. 
  • CDC vaccination card is a health record and not a passport. There is a distinction between a health record and a "passport".  Even the federal government has stated that they would leave so called passports to private industry.  Essentially this order does same. 
  • His examples are  restaurants, stadiums, movie theaters and other public venues cannot require vaccines.  I am sure someone will test this, however his order has no enforcement guidelines, other than letting other state agencies come up with guidelines.  Most of these licenses and enforcement clout in Florida falls under the Agriculture Department (yes indeed), and the AG department is run by a Democrat who will be running against the Governor in less than 2 years.
Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 5

I just don’t understand his taking a position that risks overall public health. Facts are facts, scientific analysis is independent of politics. 😳

I am sure people will be offended by my post, but honestly I am being apolitical in this statement.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chelseabelsea said:

I just don’t understand his taking a position that risks overall public health. Facts are facts, scientific analysis is independent of politics. 😳

I am sure people will be offended by my post, but honestly I am being apolitical in this statement.

He is a politician.  It is their job. Either party they crave attention especially when they are campaigning for reelection.  

Until The legislature passes a law this is a non issue. Executive Orders are only valid for 90 days.  

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2

Yesterday, CDC issued new technical guidance moving the Conditional Sail Order to Phase 2 which will prepare for simulated (trial) cruises with volunteer passengers.  Per the CDC:

"COVID-19 vaccination efforts will be critical in the safe resumption of passenger operations. As more people are fully vaccinated, the phased approach allows CDC to incorporate these advancements into planning for resumption of cruise ship travel when it is safe to do so. CDC recommends that all eligible port personnel and travelers (passengers and crew) get a COVID-19 vaccine when one is available to them."

Also from the technical guidance issued yesterday:

Vaccination Components of a Cruise Ship Operator’s Agreement with Port and Local Health Authorities

"CDC recommends that all eligible port personnel and travelers (passengers and crew) get a COVID-19 vaccine when one is available to them. Parties to an agreement between a cruise ship operator and U.S. port and local health authorities should ensure that the agreement additionally incorporates the following components relating to vaccination of port personnel, crew, and future passengers:

A plan and timeline for vaccination of cruise ship crew prior to resuming passenger operations. Due to the international representation of cruise travelers, cruise operators must use either U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-authorized vaccines or a vaccine product that has received emergency use listing from the World Health Organization (WHO).

Presentation of proposals regarding how the cruise ship operator intends to incorporate vaccination strategies to maximally protect passengers and crew from introduction, amplification, and spread of COVID-19 in the maritime environment and land-based communities."

Technical Instructions for a Cruise Ship Operator’s Agreement with Port and Local Health Authorities under CDC’s Framework for Conditional Sailing Order | Quarantine | CDC

It looks to me as if CDC is 'encouraging' cruise lines to require vaccinations of PAX, Crew and Port Workers.  I don't foresee cruising restarting in the next 90 days, so before cruising can restart, the executive order will have expired and after that it will be up to the state legislature.  That's where the real compromise takes place.

In the long run, I think this is going to be a non-issue.

• Like 2

In order to travel we've all had to have vaccines depending on where we're headed- typhoid, Hepatitis A & B etc. This is another of those requirements. It's not the big, fat, throw-tantrums deal that DeSantis makes it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

In order to travel we've all had to have vaccines depending on where we're headed- typhoid, Hepatitis A & B etc. This is another of those requirements. It's not the big, fat, throw-tantrums deal that DeSantis makes it.

You're only making this about travel.  DeSantis is blocking Wal-Mart from preventing you from getting your weekly groceries unless you prove to their satisfaction that you are fully vaccinated from Covid.   What are the rest of the people supposed to do, go on bread lines?  Oh, the order prevents breadlines from also requiring proof of vaccination.  The question is, where does it stop?

I just don't see this as a big, fat, tantrum, but a governor who wants to make sure everybody has a right to participate in activities of daily living regardless of their decision to vaccinate or not.  Anti-vaxxers do have rights to participate in society as well.

Disclaimer:  I fully support cruise lines requiring vaccinated passengers and crew.  I just don't think Wal-Mart should have the ability to dictate my personal health decisions.  (BTW Wal-Mart is just an example, I haven't seen where they are requiring any thing but masks at this point.)

Travel is optional, daily living activities isn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I just don't think Wal-Mart should have the ability to dictate my personal health decisions. 

Not being familiar with every detail but is Walmart requiring proof of vaccination for employment or just shopping? Or is Walmart only requiring mask in store?

@Daniel A

I respect your opinion. but I disagree.

Very much doubt that in other states essential goods-type businesses (grocery stores, gas stations, Walmart) would be permitted to close doors to the unvaccinated. But I can understand why a restaurant, bar or sports venue might want to reassure the majority of their patrons and draw a line in the sand.

Thanks for your helpful discussion.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Not being familiar with every detail but is Walmart requiring proof of vaccination for employment or just shopping? Or is Walmart only requiring mask in store?

@Paulchili  Please refer to my disclaimer in post #18.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

You're only making this about travel.  DeSantis is blocking Wal-Mart from preventing you from getting your weekly groceries unless you prove to their satisfaction that you are fully vaccinated from Covid.   What are the rest of the people supposed to do, go on bread lines?  Oh, the order prevents breadlines from also requiring proof of vaccination.  The question is, where does it stop?

Are stores really asking for proof of vaccine  to be allowed in??

7 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

@Daniel A

Very much doubt that in other states essential goods-type businesses (grocery stores, gas stations, Walmart) would be permitted to close doors to the unvaccinated. But I can understand why a restaurant, bar or sports venue might want to reassure the majority of their patrons and draw a line in the sand.

Thanks for your helpful discussion.

That is what the governor of Florida just did.  I'm unaware of any other states that have done that.

Where does one draw the line when allowing business to require proof of vaccination?  I think it is appropriate in some circumstances but not others.  Should a person who relies on public transit to travel to their employment be denied boarding because they didn't show a vaccine passport?

Thank you for your kind remarks.

-Dan

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

@Paulchili  Please refer to my disclaimer in post #18.

so you are just making stuff up 

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

That is what the governor of Florida just did.  I'm unaware of any other states that have done that.

Maybe other States have not done the same as Florida because there was no need to pass an executive order  against businesses

Just more drama  than required 🙄

• Like 2