Heads up...

tjosh7

I just tried to do a mock booking on our August 8 cruise on the Star out of Southampton and it looks like, as the OP stated, there is nothing available until September. I got on a 'chat' while logged in to NCL and asked about why there are no cruises being shown, this is the reply I got, 

"Thank you. With the COVID-19 pandemic continuing to impact communities and ports around the globe, we are working to determine our next course of action. While we evaluate the opportunity to resume with sailings, we have temporarily frozen voyages that might be impacted should we need to delay sailing further. Please bear with us. We will make a decision shortly and will provide information as it becomes available."

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, tjosh7 said:

What disappoints me is the fact that I find out about this by accident, and not from the company!

It's a bit of a no-win for them though, honestly.

If they take sailings off sale before notifying those already booked, then they're having people find out by accident.

If they notify people about cancellations before taking them off sale, then they're still selling canceled cruises.

=(

I hope we get cruises confirmed before too long.  *sigh*

• Like 2

Honestly I see the CDC approving cruises no earlier then Christmas out of U.S. ports which is where the money making is. They want to vaccinate the masses, then the big test will be thanksgiving to see if cases shoot up or not with people gathering again during the colder month.

Let’s be honest, NCL is not Oceana where vacation goers have the funds to be dropping thousands of dollars to cruise from Bermuda for example for a week. NCL caters to families and your average joe. Bermuda requires quarantining while you await your test results meaning you need a hotel stay pre cruise, in prime summer months in Bermuda, plus you won’t be finding cheap Southwest flight deals for $100 to Bermuda like you would to MIA or FLL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tjosh7 said:

Just checked NCL website, searched for cruise, no specific type.....first month showing availability: September....

I noticed some changes on NCL booking site yesterday.  For a little while, our Joy cruise in October wasn't coming up.  It's back again now, but maybe not for long.

32 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Honestly I see the CDC approving cruises no earlier then Christmas out of U.S. ports which is where the money making is. They want to vaccinate the masses, then the big test will be thanksgiving to see if cases shoot up or not with people gathering again during the colder month.

Let’s be honest, NCL is not Oceana where vacation goers have the funds to be dropping thousands of dollars to cruise from Bermuda for example for a week. NCL caters to families and your average joe. Bermuda requires quarantining while you await your test results meaning you need a hotel stay pre cruise, in prime summer months in Bermuda, plus you won’t be finding cheap Southwest flight deals for $100 to Bermuda like you would to MIA or FLL.

I think Florida will work to meet the new CDC guidelines and develop user agreements with several cruise lines to allow cruising out of a couple of ports.  Many cruise lines will opt in and send cruise ships to their private islands where they can control who passengers interact with...both the ships and the beaches are assets not generating any income right now...

if there are coming cruises the next months that would be new cruises. i think they can cancel the whole year. If they can start cruises again with some ships that will be new cruises and not the one they sold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

I noticed some changes on NCL booking site yesterday.  For a little while, our Joy cruise in October wasn't coming up.  It's back again now, but maybe not for long.

We noticed changes in various upcoming itineraries, too...from yesterday to today.  We're wondering if they're in the process of updating future cruises. 

We're still gonna hold off in making any changes on our currently booked cruises...or book anything farther into the future...

1 hour ago, CroozFanatic said:

Hopefully, they are implementing reduced capacity.

Maybe, only 50% for July and August and 75% for September?

Heard on another forum that they plan to only use outside cabins to start...and may only use every other cabin so they they have time to terminal clean between guests.

40 minutes ago, Wizpharm2 said:

Heard on another forum that they plan to only use outside cabins to start...and may only use every other cabin so they they have time to terminal clean between guests.

I wonder what that would mean for people booked into inside cabins already.
Would they just get kicked, or upgraded?  Especially with inside guarantees (where they've signed up for 'an inside OR BETTER') it would be interesting to see.

21 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Would they just get kicked, or upgraded?  Especially with inside guarantees (where they've signed up for 'an inside OR BETTER') it would be interesting to see.

Reducing capacity (bumping) is a non-trivial problem with a lot upset possible if not handled (compensated) correctly.

Here's a thread about it over on Celebrity: (before you read the entire 3 pages...nobody knows). This has never happened before, at least on a level like this. Airlines, yes. Hotels, yes.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2775770-speculations-on-what-x-will-do-in-overcapacity-situation/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wizpharm2 said:

Maybe give the inside cabins to the crew to increase social distancing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

Reducing capacity (bumping) is a non-trivial problem with a lot upset possible if not handled (compensated) correctly.

Here's a thread about it over on Celebrity: (before you read the entire 3 pages...nobody knows). This has never happened before, at least on a level like this. Airlines, yes. Hotels, yes.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2775770-speculations-on-what-x-will-do-in-overcapacity-situation/

Oh yeah, absolutely bumping if they're over new capacity is going to be a nightmare.

I was wondering more so if they're already under the new reduced capacity (say the cruise is only currently 40% sold, and they're looking at 50% capacity).  Would seem less than ideal to 'bump' people when the cruise isn't even full.

4 hours ago, tjosh7 said:

Just checked NCL website, searched for cruise, no specific type.....first month showing availability: September....

I just checked my cruise the end of August and it is still showing that I booked it, but not allowing others to do so until September.  I guess I will hear something from my travel agent next week.  This will be my second canceled cruised this year.

I am so glad I gave up looking for cruises a couple of months ago.  No more stressing if anything is going to actually happen.  I now have four vacations planned between now and the end of the year and none of them have anything to do with cruising, and I know they will not be "cancelled" as all of the involved facilities have been operating since last summer.

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

I have just booked MSC on their newest ship for a few weeks time which will sail as the whole season is domestic (US law does not allow this), I booked an inside and they are sailing with reduced capacity. I won't be bumped, in fact I stand a much higher than normal chance of a free upgrade to an unused balcony.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I am so glad I gave up looking for cruises a couple of months ago.  No more stressing if anything is going to actually happen.  I now have four vacations planned between now and the end of the year and none of them have anything to do with cruising, and I know they will not be "cancelled" as all of the involved facilities have been operating since last summer.

"Tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be"

- Bob Dylan