Did drink prices just go up

39 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

As usual, the discussion went off on a Beach Club tangent some time a go, we are no longer talking about drink package pricing.

It can any item on the cruise planner.  Drink package, unlimited food package, Beach Club, any excursion.  I only picked the Beach Club because that is the one item that seems to have the most price fluctuation.

No other cruise line has this ridiculous policy.  The price of an excursion on other cruise lines are set in stone whether you arrive on the oldest or the newest ship in the fleet.  Whether you arrive the first week of December when cruises are usually cheap or whether you arrive for New Years, the price is the same.  But not with Royal... 

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Seems to be just fine for RCI and some customers, ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder. 

It's fine for those customers that have blinders on because they don't know any better, or for those customers that will put up with it because they wish to only cruise on RCI.

Just my take, would it not make sense for there to be one price if you are on a ship with only 2500-3000 people vying for the cabanas (I realize not everyone will want one) versus a ship with 6000 people?  Cabanas are a limited commodity and I don’t think pricing them based on supply and demand is unreasonable.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's fine for those customers that have blinders on because they don't know any better, or for those customers that will put up with it because they wish to only cruise on RCI.

'My cruise experience however is listed, with 35 cruises on 28 different ships and 7 cruise lines. You Loyal Royals have blinders on.'

Pompous much?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Just my take, would it not make sense for there to be one price if you are on a ship with only 2500-3000 people vying for the cabanas (I realize not everyone will want one) versus a ship with 6000 people?  Cabanas are a limited commodity and I don’t think pricing them based on supply and demand is unreasonable.

There's also cases where there are 2 ships on the island at the same time. But the other thing people forget is that over time, patterns emerge, and with very limited commodities it can become apparent it's always  better to start at $1699 and have one unsold than to start at $1299 and sell them all. (Numbers just for example purpose and may vary, of course.)

2 hours ago, Big_G said:

'My cruise experience however is listed, with 35 cruises on 28 different ships and 7 cruise lines. You Loyal Royals have blinders on.'

Pompous much?

Not at all.  I have no problem backing up my posts with showing the diversity I have with my cruise history over the past 30+ years.  My cruise history is a drop in the bucket compared to many on here, but at the same time my history is not myopic like those who have only cruised on one line.

Prices fluctuate because it drives traffic on the site as people check and double check prices.  Every time you check cruise planner is another opportunity for royal to entice you to buy more stuff you didn’t plan to add on.  See something enough and you can convince yourself you need it.  Basic marketing tactic.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

Prices fluctuate because it drives traffic on the site as people check and double check prices.  Every time you check cruise planner is another opportunity for royal to entice you to buy more stuff you didn’t plan to add on.  See something enough and you can convince yourself you need it.  Basic marketing tactic.

If this "basic marketing tactic" is so effective, then why don't all cruise lines do it?  Before they went all inclusive, Celebrity, who is part of RCCL, didn't even do it.

I think the majority of the purchasers make the purchase and never look back. It's the small percent of CC members that make buying anything from the cruise planner or booking a cruise a full time job by checking prices several times a day. 

• Like 1