Viking River Cruise Postponed Again?????

usbrownsfl

My wife and I are scheduled on the Romantic Danube cruise in June. Now my booking data is locked on the website and there are no available bookings available in June or July. I am thinking that Viking is pushing back the start up until August. Has anyone heard anything?

I am not surprised at all. Did you think it would go in June?

That area in Europe is going through a 4th wave. Europe is behind the US in vaccines and many areas there that are in a lock down.

I would not blame Viking or Amawaterways or any other company for cancellations at this juncture.  It is what it is---vaccine rollouts in Europe have been slow, COVID fatigue has people dropping their guard---the world is neither safe enough or ready enough for travel to resume.

Here in New England we have a very successful  football coach, beloved here but despised everywhere else, who has a famous line:  "It is what it is".

• Like 2

I feel like my entire life is being deferred, not just my cruises. 

Sorry about your cruise, but it doesn't surprise me given the Covid surge in Europe.  Most cruise lines have been sending out cancellation notices gradually so as not to overwhelm their agents.

• Like 2

Viking has made an official announcement on there Web Site

Itineraries Affected by Temporary Suspension of Operations—Updated April 6, 2021

On March 11, 2020, Viking was the first cruise line to suspend operations of our river and ocean cruises. Our commitment to our family of guests and employees is that their safety and wellbeing is always our top priority.

As travel restrictions around the world continue to make international and cruise ship travel particularly complicated, we have made the decision to extend our suspension of previously scheduled departures through July 31, 2021. Additional operational complexities in some destinations require us to cancel further departures through the remainder of the 2021 season in Alaska, as well as in Russia and Ukraine. Guests and their travel advisors on impacted itineraries have been notified directly by Viking Customer Relations.

43 minutes ago, jonescrusher said:

Viking has made an official announcement on there Web Site

Itineraries Affected by Temporary Suspension of Operations—Updated April 6, 2021

On March 11, 2020, Viking was the first cruise line to suspend operations of our river and ocean cruises. Our commitment to our family of guests and employees is that their safety and wellbeing is always our top priority.

As travel restrictions around the world continue to make international and cruise ship travel particularly complicated, we have made the decision to extend our suspension of previously scheduled departures through July 31, 2021. Additional operational complexities in some destinations require us to cancel further departures through the remainder of the 2021 season in Alaska, as well as in Russia and Ukraine. Guests and their travel advisors on impacted itineraries have been notified directly by Viking Customer Relations.

Thanks for this! I hadn't see it but MyViking Journey is locked for our Ukraine river cruise in September.  

usbrownsfl... If I might ask, what specifically did they tell you when your cruise was cancelled? What did they 'offer'?.  Have you previously been cancelled and are using a FCC?  I ask because we have a cruise scheduled for Aug/Sep (which I'm not holding my breath about) and have until the end of April to cancel with a refund (minus $200).  If they're giving June cruisers something like 125% FCC then we'll just wait it out. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 2:20 PM, CaroleLee said:

Hmm, Viking has cx through July 2021. Anyone have any info on what AMAWATERWAYS is planning.

My guess is that they will(& others ) will follow Vikings .

We too are waiting to hear what Ama has planned. We have a B2B in mid August (Seine & Rhone) but haven't heard anything one way or the other. Fingers crossed.

Paul