Travel Insurance Refuses to Pay

jclinard

AIG is refusing to cover my claim.  I'll probably have to eat the $2000 they won't pay me, but I need to find a company that will actually pay out claims if needed.  

Does anybody have any suggestions on which company they've had a good experience with?

What are the specifics of the claim (i.e. injury, time frame, reason for refusal to pay, etc.).

What type of policy did you purchase i.e. limits and etc..

There are specific reasons that insurance companies will not pay.

I trust you are all better now with the exception of the RTPC...

bon voyage

6 hours ago, jclinard said:

AIG is refusing to cover my claim.  I'll probably have to eat the $2000 they won't pay me, but I need to find a company that will actually pay out claims if needed.  

Does anybody have any suggestions on which company they've had a good experience with?

Hi jclinard,

Did you buy your policy directly with AIG or through an agent?

If you got it through an agent have they been helping you with the claim?

Steve Dasseos

I join Bo in wanting to know some details.  Just saying that an insurance company "won't pay" is not helpful unless we have some details.  What kind of claim are they refusing to pay and what is their explanation?   If we have some specific information perhaps we can give some very specific advice.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I join Bo in wanting to know some details.  Just saying that an insurance company "won't pay" is not helpful unless we have some details.  What kind of claim are they refusing to pay and what is their explanation?   If we have some specific information perhaps we can give some very specific advice.

Hank

They are refusing to cover my canceled flight.  

That really isn't helpful in trying to find an insurance company that will actually pay claims instead of denying them though.

13 minutes ago, jclinard said:

They are refusing to cover my canceled flight.  

That really isn't helpful in trying to find an insurance company that will actually pay claims instead of denying them though.

If the flight has been cancelled by the airline then the airline must refund your money.  If you cancelled the flight then that can be a big issue, especially if the airline is willing to give you a voucher for future air.  Many insurers insist that the airline voucher gets them off the hook.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hlitner said:

If the flight has been cancelled by the airline then the airline must refund your money.  If you cancelled the flight then that can be a big issue, especially if the airline is willing to give you a voucher for future air.  Many insurers insist that the airline voucher gets them off the hook.  If you booked your air through a cruise line and the cruise line cancelled the cruise it also gets interesting.  In our case when HAL cancelled a cruise they immediately refunded both the cruise cost and the airline cost.

Hank

\\

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If the flight has been cancelled by the airline then the airline must refund your money.  If you cancelled the flight then that can be a big issue, especially if the airline is willing to give you a voucher for future air.  Many insurers insist that the airline voucher gets them off the hook.

Hank

Again, you seem to be missing the point of my post.  I'm looking for a reputable travel insurance company that pays claims.

But if you must know, Air Canada only issued credits, AIG refused my claim, and Air Canada is now not offering flights I can book to the original destination city.

All insurance companies pay "Valid" claims that fall within the terms and conditions of the policy.

So far, I've not seen nor read in this thread a "valid" claim.

However, if you feel that you have a valid claim and you are being denied anything, then one of the recourses you have is to reach out to your States Insurance Commissioner and see if they can help you.

All insurance is highly regulated by each and every individual State.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2021 at 9:37 AM, Hlitner said:

I have a question?   Did you first try to directly contact the airline about rescheduling?   When we have had similar situations (although we now book most air directly with airlines) our first step is to contact the airline to see if there is another flight alternative.  Failing that we will ask the airline to process a refund (usually done within 2 weeks) and we will not generally accept an airline voucher (too restrictive and time limited).  As I have posted previously, in the USA if an airline cancels a flight and cannot provide a reasonable alternative then DOT rules require they issue a refund if that is your request.  Many airlines will try to push folks into accepting vouchers but cash is generally a much better options since vouchers have too many limitations.

When trying to file an insurance claim, it is best to have pursued other options (such as requesting a refund) before pushing a claim.  Insurers and credit card companies (where you can file a dispute and seek reimbursement) tend to be more helpful when you can demonstrate that you first tried to deal with the merchant, airline, etc.

Hank

"

Air Canada has no flights listed for my replacement dates.

AIG required that I cancel the flights before attempting to collect the insurance.  This has screwed me, as Air Canada only provided credits, and now that I don't have a flight, I'm unable to pursue a refund in the event they altered the passage contract (notably by changing flight times).  I tried to find out beforehand if they would pay, but could not get any answer other than the flight needed to be canceled before attempting to collect on the insurance.

2 hours ago, jclinard said:

Air Canada has no flights listed for my replacement dates.

AIG required that I cancel the flights before attempting to collect the insurance.  This has screwed me, as Air Canada only provided credits, and now that I don't have a flight, I'm unable to pursue a refund in the event they altered the passage contract (notably by changing flight times).  I tried to find out beforehand if they would pay, but could not get any answer other than the flight needed to be canceled before attempting to collect on the insurance.

Ouch!  That truly sucks (for lack of a better term).   Insurance companies seem to love when the airlines give a credit voucher because that gets them off the hook.  My only suggest, and it is a long shot, is to try and get a terrific travel advocate working on your behalf.  I think one of the best is Christopher Elliott and your story might get their interest.  Take a look at his web site (www.elliott.org) and there is a form you can access (upper right side of his web page) where you seek their advice and help.    If all else fails try to find a way to use that Air Canada credit.

Hank

• Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 8:39 AM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi jclinard,

Did you buy your policy directly with AIG or through an agent?

If you got it through an agent have they been helping you with the claim?

Steve Dasseos

Agent and no.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:56 AM, jclinard said:

Not for nothing, but I just read where AC is giving cash refunds within certain parameters even if a voucher is issued.

You may want to check with them to determine if you qualify as the time frame to make the request is rapidly approaching.

I trust your flights will fall within the new rules.

Good luck and bon voyage

14 hours ago, jclinard said:

It worked.  I got my refund from Air Canada.

I will continue to wage war on AIG.  They denied my appeal.  

j - that is great!!

As for waging a war, I suggest using that energy and thoughts planning your next sailing... you have nothing to prove at this juncture, you were made whole (except for your time).

AIG must have a leg to stand on in terms of the denial, unless they advised how to over come it.

Good sailings in the future and bon voyage

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 7:01 AM, Bo1953 said:

j - that is great!!

As for waging a war, I suggest using that energy and thoughts planning your next sailing... you have nothing to prove at this juncture, you were made whole (except for your time).

AIG must have a leg to stand on in terms of the denial, unless they advised how to over come it.

Good sailings in the future and bon voyage

Not waging war would mean AIG would get away with this.  I intend to do what I can to make sure nobody buys travel insurance from them ever again.  

They did send a satisfaction survey.  My favorite response was to their question on the most positive aspect.  I wrote:  

"Whoever wrote your denial letter was able to use the English language correctly.  I found zero misspellings, the grammar was correct, and the proper punctuation was used."

• 2 weeks later...

You got a refund from AC, so you have no claim.  You were made "whole."  Certainly, I would advise purchasing airfare directly from the airline and not through a third party, and buying travel insurance using a reputable agent.  You can "wage a war" against them, but it will really make no difference.  This is a huge company that's been around a long time, and from what was written, I don't see where they did anything wrong.

If an airline cancels your flight, you are entitled to a refund directly from them, and your travel insurance would not be involved.

"Cancel for any reason" insurance does not reimburse the entire amount of your loss; most policies are about 50-75%.  They do come with requirements, such as you must cancel within a set number of hours or days before your departure date.

I always purchase travel insurance for trips out-of-the-country and have filed several claims with no problems.  All were for covered reasons, and all were paid.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've learned an expensive lesson on travel insurance, notably that they have no intention of paying.  That's why I won't buy it again.  No, I might not get anywhere with AIG, but I'll be certain to tell everybody I meet that they refuse to pay.  As no other travel insurance company responded to my request to see their policies, I can only assume they are hiding what they'll actually cover.

Going forward, I'm fully prepared to lose the cost of my flight tickets, given that I can see no circumstances under which travel insurance will refund the cost of them.  I feel like a prime sucker for buying an insurance policy they had no intention of paying out on.  I hate feeling like a sucker who was taken advantage of.  The only way to avoid feeling like a sucker in the future is to not fall into the sucker trap of buying travel insurance.

I would feel like a bigger sucker if I was stuck over seas with an injury or serious illness, and had no trip  insurance to get me home.

Before I’ve purchased any travel insurance policy, I’ve been able to read the entire policy on their webpage.  This includes Travelguard, Nationwide, Travel Safe, C&F Travel Insured International, and IMG.
I don’t buy insurance because I’m concerned about losing the cost of the airfare.  I am concerned about the enormous potential cost of medical/injury expenses and medical evacuation back home.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

I would feel like a bigger sucker if I was stuck over seas with an injury or serious illness, and had no trip  insurance to get me home.

Before I’ve purchased any travel insurance policy, I’ve been able to read the entire policy on their webpage.  This includes Travelguard, Nationwide, Travel Safe, C&F Travel Insured International, and IMG.
I don’t buy insurance because I’m concerned about losing the cost of the airfare.  I am concerned about the enormous potential cost of medical/injury expenses and medical evacuation back home.

I bought my policy specifically for airfare.  Flight Protection Plan.  Not medical insurance. 

They conned me. They promised flight protection and refused to pay.  They made me cancel the flight first, so I had zero recourse to cancel my flight in response to a schedule change between the time I canceled it and the date of my flight.  I've gotten refunds for flights changes before.

Understand, I will not be a sucker again.  It makes me angry.  

Edited by jclinard

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 8:04 PM, 6rugrats said:

I finally got a response back from Allianz in response to my request for a copy of their policy.

"Thank you for contacting Allianz Global Assistance. We apologize for any inconvenience you might be experiencing; it is my pleasure to assist you today.

We received your inquiry regarding our service and coverage, but unfortunately, we were unable to locate your policy based on the information you provided. Additional information that may help us locate it includes: "

Followed by a list of things (policy number, etc.)

Apparently I have to buy their insurance before I'm allowed to read the policy.

Not happening. 

How do you find an insurance that stands behind what they say.... there are none it seems.

Had Travelex for a spring 2020 cruise and they flat out denied everything because Covid was declared a pandemic. They said pandemics aren't covered. What a cop-out.

4 hours ago, tk2fast said:

How do you find an insurance that stands behind what they say.... there are none it seems.

Had Travelex for a spring 2020 cruise and they flat out denied everything because Covid was declared a pandemic. They said pandemics aren't covered. What a cop-out.

Given the one I tried to collect on refused to pay, and the other companies are refusing to send a copy of their policies in advance, the only reasonable assumption is that they do not pay.  I've read consumer sites about travel insurance and they are all overwhelmingly negative.

Buying travel insurance is worse than not having it.  You think you'll be covered, only to learn they won't pay, and you're out the premium.  I had to learn that the hard way.  I hate being a sucker.

• Like 1