CDC says we may be able to start cruising from US this summer

On 4/9/2021 at 1:22 PM, Shorewalk Holmes said:

I didn't say, or even imply that there was a big spike in overall cases after Thanksgiving and Christmas!

I said that it's reasonable to assume that old folks were particularly impacted by Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings.

DCGuy and I are having a discussion on another thread that touches on deaths among old folks and their importance to public policy.

Yes, young lives are also important to public policy.  

13 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Yes, young lives are also important to public policy.  

True.  Some people assume that because there are relatively few deaths among the young, we shouldn't weigh those deaths as much in public policy.  Then of course there's the impact on jobs that younger people tend to have.

5 hours ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

True.  Some people assume that because there are relatively few deaths among the young, we shouldn't weigh those deaths as much in public policy.  Then of course there's the impact on jobs that younger people tend to have.

yeah or life years lost.  what do you think avg life years lost are for the virus that originated in Wuhan, China?

The damage has already been done to our youth.  

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 10:36 PM, jonbgd said:

O wow that is pretty late in the year

is that that normal during non pandemic or is to make up for snow days

I remember memorial day to labor day was considered summer time 

Yes, that is the norm in Ontario.  We go to school until the end of the June each year.  We start after Labour Day each year.  We do not get snow days any longer.  Our schools are always open (even if buses are cancelled) and staff have to report to work.  In the very rare circumstance where schools are totally shut down, the government has decided to make those remote learning days.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:43 PM, John&LaLa said:

Umm, summer starts on Memorial Day. End of May. Summer ends on Labor Day, early September

According to the calendar, the first day of summer is June 20th.  According to our last day of school,  June 29th where we live in Ontario, teachers and students will not consider it "summer" until school is done, therefore June 30th for us.

7 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Yes, that is the norm in Ontario.  We go to school until the end of the June each year.  We start after Labour Day each year.  We do not get snow days any longer.  Our schools are always open (even if buses are cancelled) and staff have to report to work.  In the very rare circumstance where schools are totally shut down, the government has decided to make those remote learning days.

According to the calendar, the first day of summer is June 20th.  According to our last day of school,  June 29th where we live in Ontario, teachers and students will not consider it "summer" until school is done, therefore June 30th for us.

I have to disagree with you on this; for me (not school-aged kids), the ‘summer season’ runs from Victoria Day to Labour Day.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:21 AM, John&LaLa said:

Did you know school starts down here 1st week of August

I know some places in the US begin school in the beginning of August.  I assume your schools have air conditioning.  Where I live and teach, less than half the school have AC (none of the 3 that I have taught in), and with temperatures sometimes in September over 100 degree in the classroom, I would hate to be in the classroom for 7-8 hours a day in that heat.  Kids melt and learning does not take place.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:46 AM, Empehi said:

Let's get back to the topic please (we all know summer begins the last day of school for those folks with children - those without children it can be summer year round).

The reason I brought up the question of summer is because the article mentioned a potential mid-summer restart of cruising.  As you can see from the comments, some believe summer is mid-May til early September, where others say it does not begin until almost July.  This would make a the potential restart date almost a month later depending on which definition of summer the quote was referring to, and this could greatly affect whether or not those of us who have summer cruises booked out of the US will be able to go or not.

8 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I have to disagree with you on this; for me (not school-aged kids), the ‘summer season’ runs from Victoria Day to Labour Day.

To each their own.  I like your definition of summer better than the one we use.  People complain educators get the summer "off".  We do not officially teach in the months of July and August, but do some other work at times during those months to prepare.  Using your definition of summer, I would get an extra month "off" 😉

2 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

I know some places in the US begin school in the beginning of August.  I assume your schools have air conditioning.  Where I live and teach, less than half the school have AC (none of the 3 that I have taught in), and with temperatures sometimes in September over 100 degree in the classroom, I would hate to be in the classroom for 7-8 hours a day in that heat.  Kids melt and learning does not take place.

The reason I brought up the question of summer is because the article mentioned a potential mid-summer restart of cruising.  As you can see from the comments, some believe summer is mid-May til early September, where others say it does not begin until almost July.  This would make a the potential restart date almost a month later depending on which definition of summer the quote was referring to, and this could greatly affect whether or not those of us who have summer cruises booked out of the US will be able to go or not.

To each their own.  I like your definition of summer better than the one we use.  People complain educators get the summer "off".  We do not officially teach in the months of July and August, but do some other work at times during those months to prepare.  Using your definition of summer, I would get an extra month "off" 😉

Florida, Atlanta, etc. would not exist without air conditioning 😉

I don't recall anyone who said Mid May

Memorial Day is the last Monday in May

Labor Day is the first Monday in September 

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Most Brevard County Schools didn’t have A.C. in the 70’s. SHS didn’t have A.C. except one building in 1980. 
DeLaura Jr. High School did have A.C., but it is built like a 2 story prison. 
We started school the Monday before Labor Day and graduated in mid June. 

36 minutes ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

Most Brevard County Schools didn’t have A.C. in the 70’s. SHS didn’t have A.C. except one building in 1980. 
DeLaura Jr. High School did have A.C., but it is built like a 2 story prison. 
We started school the Monday before Labor Day and graduated in mid June. 

Things have changed. No idea why. 

My grandkids get out for summer on May 26

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Include Houston in that as well😬

In San Francisco we have natural air conditioning called fog

But when i was commuting to and from Houston for 9 years and seeing fog roll in from the gulf not all fog is the same OMG 😰

So glad to be back home full time

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I have read that the invention of AC was what allowed Vegas to be built in the desert. 

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I rarely open the windows when the temps cool some months. Its just sticky. 

I very seldom open the windows.  It is just too humid and the air conditioner keeps it much nicer in the house.  It was the same when we lived in Texas.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I very seldom open the windows.  It is just too humid and the air conditioner keeps it much nicer in the house.  It was the same when we lived in Texas.  

St Louis summers were miserable 

And definitely Atlanta. Spring was fine there, but the pollen would kill you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2021 at 1:53 PM, John&LaLa said:

I agree that there are a lot of places that get hotter than southern Ontario.  It is bad enough up here with no AC, I cannot imagine how it would be down south.

As for mid-May, someone mentioned the summer starting for them on the May 24 long weekend we get in Canada (Victoria Day).  Last year the holiday fell on May 18th, that is why I said mid-May for some people.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

As for mid-May, someone mentioned the summer starting for them on the May 24 long weekend we get in Canada (Victoria Day).  Last year the holiday fell on May 18th, that is why I said mid-May for some people.

Your memory is playing tricks on you.  I said Victoria Day weekend but did not identify a date.