New anti-solo cruiser pricing

docksider21

NCL had a well deserved reputation for being solo cruiser friendly.  Now they are rolling out a new price structure which penalizes and discourages solo cruising.  Example:   They show a 7 day cruise with a 500 ppd price.  One expects 1,000 at most with a 100% supplement.  But no.  The actual per person price is 800, but they are discounting the second person by 75% so that the total for two is 1,000, yielding 500 ppd. (800 x 25% = 200 + 800 = 1,000 / 2= 500).  So when you try to book for  one, it figures 800 for one person plus 800 supplement, new sticker shock price 1600, more than 3 times the ppd price!
I get paying a supplement, even paying double.  But triple is too much of a penalty.  I guess they will track their new price structure and see if it is revenue positive.

37 minutes ago, docksider21 said:

NCL had a well deserved reputation for being solo cruiser friendly.  Now they are rolling out a new price structure which penalizes and discourages solo cruising.  Example:   They show a 7 day cruise with a 500 ppd price.  One expects 1,000 at most with a 100% supplement.  But no.  The actual per person price is 800, but they are discounting the second person by 75% so that the total for two is 1,000, yielding 500 ppd. (800 x 25% = 200 + 800 = 1,000 / 2= 500).  So when you try to book for  one, it figures 800 for one person plus 800 supplement, new sticker shock price 1600, more than 3 times the ppd price!
I get paying a supplement, even paying double.  But triple is too much of a penalty.  I guess they will track their new price structure and see if it is revenue positive.

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon and happens across all cruise lines. For some reason, solo pricing is a mess. If you can't get it resolved by calling (that has worked for me). When it hasn't worked, I just booked two people and had one be a no-show (I was refunded port taxes). Not sure how that will work with new guidelines (example, in St Martin you must purchase special insurance to depart), but it's worth a try. I know it's frustrating. I've had the absolute best luck booking solo last minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Yipes.  Will have to start booking my always-cancels traveling companion.

Anyone know how soon you can cancel that phantom person?

Technically they are a no show (not a cancellation). Don’t do anything until you are onboard or they can reprice

• Like 2

3 hours ago, docksider21 said:

Which cruises are showing this kind of pricing? I just picked one at random (Gem in January 2022) and ran through a mock booking as a solo and as a couple. The ppdo for a BA balcony was $1224, the quoted price for a single occupant was $2448. Final prices with taxes & port fees was $2917 for a solo and $3226 for two people.

I actually booked the first Joy sailing in August; a BB balcony was $1161 ppdo and I got it for $2232 as a solo.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, docksider21 said:

It was the Joy out of Jamaica this September.  Sail away interior 500 ppd. 1600 solo.

I just did a mock booking for one of those that says $496 pp. it ends up jumping the price to $601 pp when you try to book. 2 people is $601, 1 person is $1200. Seems to be the normal Single supplement. Maybe you just faced a glitch when pricing it.

• Like 2

I just did the same thing. As a solo cruiser, my total cost is normal pricing for solo cruise. I'd post the amounts but I'm on the Cdn site, so it might really scare you, lol. 

Actually just logged into the US site.  Prices look great to me, sailaway 993, choosing my cabin, before taxes fees and grats is 1315, with promos it's 1646. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise

24 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Maybe it's me, but everytime I have checked "solo fare" on NCL, it was never solo fare. Just a smaller room.

What would you consider "solo fare"?  Are you expecting to pay with 0 supplement? If so, you may be missing those cruises which, when it gets close to departure date, will offer inside cabins with the 0 supplement.  

With demand what it is right now, I doubt we'll be seeing that any time soon but, I might be wrong.  I will say, that NCL gives me a better price than some of the other cruise lines which can add an additional $300 - $500 over and above the total supplement.  

Cheers