Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

14 hours ago, What was that? said:

Thanks, I’ll try that tomorrow. I scratched them based on their website. 

After a bit of digging, I found the magic key (QUEST No-Cost COVID-19 Testing) and have scheduled our PCR tests for Friday, 16 July. On that page it states: "Molecular (eg, PCR) test results typically available the next day." Sample is collected at Wal-Mart drive-thru pharmacy.

I have other concerns, like what if we test positive, but we will have to decide on that as a separate issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

After a bit of digging, I found the magic key (QUEST No-Cost COVID-19 Testing) and have scheduled our PCR tests for Friday, 16 July. On that page it states: "Molecular (eg, PCR) test results typically available the next day." Sample is collected at Wal-Mart drive-thru pharmacy.

I have other concerns, like what if we test positive, but we will have to decide on that as a separate issue.

Good news!  I will check into them as well so I don’t have to go to SFO days ahead of flight.  Not sure I like the “typically” word .....

2 hours ago, What was that? said:

Thanks for this info!  

Here's a question for anyone who knows:

Where does it say on the actual Bermuda Government website (www.bm.gov) anything about the testing needing to be done 3 or 4 days prior to arrival?

I'd appreciate a screenshot or link if possible.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

Here's a question for anyone who knows:

Where does it say on the actual Bermuda Government website (www.bm.gov) anything about the testing needing to be done 3 or 4 days prior to arrival?

I'd appreciate a screenshot or link if possible.

Thanks!

https://www.gov.bm/coronavirus-travellers-visitors

5 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

It says 5 days on that page with no indication that it will go to 3 days or 4 days in the future.  

Point of my asking is that it's a little hard to schedule testing when we have 3 different sources telling us different answers which has been the theme of planning this trip.  yay.

3 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

It says 5 days on that page with no indication that it will go to 3 days or 4 days in the future. 

Point of my asking is that it's a little hard to schedule testing when we have 3 different sources telling us different answers which has been the theme of planning this trip.  yay.

I'm glad you are already feeling the joy and adventure of travel.

I just sent an inquiry to the Bermuda Corona Virus Hotline for clarification, and will share the response...

7 minutes ago, What was that? said:

I just sent an inquiry to the Bermuda Corona Virus Hotline for clarification, and will share the response...

Thanks.  This is the first time in my life that I've 'enjoyed' [insert sarcasm] planning a trip so much!  Something about the right hand...left hand...how does that saying go???????????????  😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

Thanks.  This is the first time in my life that I've 'enjoyed' [insert sarcasm] planning a trip so much!  Something about the right hand...left hand...how does that saying go???????????????  😉

I'd be happy if they started using an entire hand. So far they seem to be using only one finger.

• Haha 1

Just for reference, gotobermuda.com is a government affiliated site.  It's their equivalent of a CVB (visitors and conventions bureau) and is government funded and has two MP's on their board.  View it as a user friendly extension of the government aimed at marketing Bermudian as a business and leisure destination. 

image.png.6e5af8b6ecbc5e446ad8044ef0636eb7.png

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I bet that cooler is full of Mamsen’s waffles for the payola to the Bermudian officials.

According to the Royal Gazette  today , Viking has paid Bermuda  money for over 200 vaccines , the one used in the UK, AstraV....

I assume  the chest had those vaccines. Would it be for their second shot, the first  was when the crew was in Gilbraether or Malta?

But it could be waffles and  the  tasty Success cake from Mamsen.

7 minutes ago, Azulann said:

According to the Royal Gazette  today , Viking has paid Bermuda  money for over 200 vaccines , the one used in the UK, AstraV....

I assume  the chest had those vaccines. Would it be for their second shot, the first  was when the crew was in Gilbraether or Malta?

But it could be waffles and  the  tasty Success cake from Mamsen.

Thanks - that is a very interesting article all around, but it doesn't have any information about travel restrictions and requirements: https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20210604/deadline-for-use-of-vaccine-stocks-nears/

25 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

There's nothing to say it can't go to 3 or 4 days in the future.  It was 5 when I booked then went to 3 then to 4 and is now back to 5.  All from official sources at the time. 

Like many here I've had a half dozen trips I booked canceled.  Out of all the non-U.S. port cruises announced booking one of Viking's Bermuda sailing struck me as the best chance to actually go somewhere.  Never once did I think it was going to be easy breezy. I'm as frustrated as the rest of you with the changing policies and unknowns but I can't say they were unexpected.  

Quite a few of you are heavy repeat Viking cruisers (I'm a virgin).  I think you placed too much trust in their ability to control the uncontrollable.  They like us are flying by the seat of their pants reacting to what's presented in the moment.  

For those stressing ask yourselves this - is it worth it?  Being trailblazers (first Americans at sea) comes with risks.  Risk of not getting tested in time, risk of not getting a Bermuda Travel Authorization in time, risk of a Covid situation on the ship, risk of testing positive after you've arrived in Bermuda, et. al.  Those risks have always been there and aren't going away.  If having those risks over your head is going to ruin your vacation perhaps you should sit the first round out and book further in to the future. 

I still think the stress is it worth it and that the vast majority of us are going to be able to jump through the flaming hoops.  Seeing the ship in Hamilton with its flags out just added hope and encouragement for me.

Deep breaths. 😉 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Quite a few of you are heavy repeat Viking cruisers (I'm a virgin).  I think you placed too much trust in their ability to control the uncontrollable.  They like us are flying by the seat of their pants reacting to what's presented in the moment.  

This is our first cruise with Viking too, we saw it as a cost effective introduction to the Viking experience after NCL cancelled everything.

We've got a local lab that returns PCR results same day if you're tested before noon, so that should be manageable.

Here's hoping it all actually works out!

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

Thanks - that is a very interesting article all around, but it doesn't have any information about travel restrictions and requirements: https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20210604/deadline-for-use-of-vaccine-stocks-nears/

Hmmm, Viking is requiring all pax to be 14 days out from their last vax shot.  If those AZ vax doses are going to Viking crew just now, then the crew will not meet the 14 day requirement by 6/15.  I think this could be called force majuere if anyone wants to cancel and get their money back.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

36 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Hmmm, Viking is requiring all pax to be 14 days out from their last vax shot.  If those AZ vax doses are going to Viking crew just now, then the crew will not meet the 14 day requirement by 6/15.  I think this could be called force majuere if anyone wants to cancel and get their money back.

You are an attoney too ? 

It is a mystery  till you ask when you get  aboard.

meanwhile,  Here is a list of curated books for our sailing.  I love how Viking does specific resources for every  cruise. 

So many book so little time....

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/caribbean-americas/bermuda-escape/reading-list.html

• Like 1

The article said "had been provided" - past tense.  And 470 is about the crew compliment.  They were probably administered onboard while the ship was docked before it moved to Hamilton.  That may have been why the ship was docked where it was before moving to Hamilton. 

"She said the island would be paid for 470 AstraZeneca jabs that had been provided to Viking Cruises for the Viking Orion, which has homeported in Bermuda."

4 hours ago, What was that? said:

And here it is: "The current window is 5 days and this changes to 4 days with effect 6th June 2021."

Somehow I lost the link to the page that gave that detail...

7 hours ago, What was that? said:

Sadly, when I just went to this web-site and filled out the questionnaire, I had a bad feeling.  Every question was geared to the types of symptoms and sickness you had.  Sure enough, when I finished it gave me a page that said:

Based on your response today, you require a different testing option. Learn more below.

This option is only available to those who do not currently have COVID-19 symptoms or known exposure to COVID-19, and are 18 years or older*

so no Quest for the healthy.

Everybody should be flexible, as we are in a completely fluid situation.  Viking can only respond to Bermuda's constantly updating requirements and then try to share with us in a timely fashion.

Here is a link to the most recent Bermuda news conference summary held June 3rd:

https://bernews.com/2021/06/june320215-30pm-video-govt-covid-19-press-conference/

The good thing is that as of June 24th, many restrictions in Bermuda will be lifted.  I am on the June 29th cruise, so keeping my fingers crossed it will all get easier... We really want to do some independent excursions, as I am a beach person and husband is scuba certified.  So we are waiting and hoping, but also keeping up with all the Bermuda news! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCWineLover said:

Sadly, when I just went to this web-site and filled out the questionnaire, I had a bad feeling.  Every question was geared to the types of symptoms and sickness you had.  Sure enough, when I finished it gave me a page that said:

Based on your response today, you require a different testing option. Learn more below.

This option is only available to those who do not currently have COVID-19 symptoms or known exposure to COVID-19, and are 18 years or older*

so no Quest for the healthy.

Weird! We both went thru the same q'aire responding basically "nothing to report" and it put out the Welcome mat. It might be age-related - we are 76. Otherwise, I haven't a clue.