Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

Plus, just got off an interesting chat with Viking - and I know you can't trust anything they say but...

They referred me to the Verifly app on AppleStore - which is to be used to send the proof of vaccinations, plus more, such as streamlining the check-in process at the ship to get on board fast.

They also referred me to "Azova" and said they are recommending passengers use them for COVID testing.  Axova has partnered with Costo and Costco Pharmacy for US Bermuda Travelers.

https://www.azova.com/costcotravel/

We went through the web site, and also got an Azova person on.

I tried to explain to them that the process they describe won't allow for anything going wrong in the process.  If there is even a few hour delay in the labs, you won't get the results in time to get to Bermuda Govt in time for them to approve it in time in order to get on the plane on the West Coast on Monday.

The Viking rep said yes, that's a possibility.  I asked what happens if through no fault of your own, nothing goes absolutely perfectly.  She said that is a problem and you will lose all the money you put in and then quickly stated, that is the Bermuda Government policy.  Customers need to assess their own risk tolerance and she actually stated that if you have any doubts or cannot afford the risk (sounded like a financial broker), then you should not make this investment and cancel now and not go.  I was a little surprised at that.  I said does Viking realize that a decent percentage of people (especially from the West Coast) are not going to make the ship and she said yes.  

So it gets more interesting!!

I think Ragnar was the smart one - come in early and not have that stupid Sunday in the way during test processing time!  🙂

Edited by CCWineLover

7 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Sadly, when I just went to this web-site and filled out the questionnaire, I had a bad feeling.  Every question was geared to the types of symptoms and sickness you had.  Sure enough, when I finished it gave me a page that said:

Based on your response today, you require a different testing option. Learn more below.

This option is only available to those who do not currently have COVID-19 symptoms or known exposure to COVID-19, and are 18 years or older*

so no Quest for the healthy.

Wait! Did you respond that you have symptoms or exposure? Or are under 18?

Again, some of these virus requirements are those over which Viking has no control or ability to micro-manage.  How do they know what is available in all  50 states?  They are just sharing Bermuda requirements. 

Too many travelers are wasting their time trying to find "cheap" covid tests that they can use for travel. The majority of covid tests are still focused on the ill.

Yet there is now an entire market out there now for covid  travel tests, and they know they have us in a tough situation of having to pay the big bucks for expediency. Easy enough to find, just not cheap or free.

From Philly airport:  

We also offer an Expedited RT-PCR - This test is a standard RT-PCR test and results will be provided within 4 hours of testing. Price for this test is: $249.99

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Sadly, when I just went to this web-site and filled out the questionnaire, I had a bad feeling.  Every question was geared to the types of symptoms and sickness you had.  Sure enough, when I finished it gave me a page that said:

Based on your response today, you require a different testing option. Learn more below.

This option is only available to those who do not currently have COVID-19 symptoms or known exposure to COVID-19, and are 18 years or older*

so no Quest for the healthy.

Do you have any symptoms?  The answer you got is the test is "only for the healthy" so something you entered lead them to believe you weren't.  I answered "no" to everything and got this.

image.thumb.png.b0c851890bbd59f146dcbc7288b62dfe.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

We also offer an Expedited RT-PCR - This test is a standard RT-PCR test and results will be provided within 4 hours of testing. Price for this test is: $249.99

What is RT-PCR and is it accepted as the same as PCR?

Note - yes the major airports have these tests.  If you are in a small city, the cost becomes more than just the test, it is also having to go there early, etc.    The lucky ones live in a large city!

Just again looked up SFO Airport - they offer RT-PCR but they describe it as a NAAT test, which it would seem is not acceptable by Bermuda.  I'll have to verify.

Real-time Reverse Transcription-Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR):

Gold standard NAAT RT-PCR tests processed by CLIA certified labs that meet most countries travel testing requirements.

and they ask you to select the country you are going to and they don't even have Bermuda.  Just about everything else.

Edited by CCWineLover

5 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

Price for this test is: $249.99

Yikes.  That's one of the highest I've seen.  I have a local overnight lab that's $150 which I thought was high.  I feel better. 😉 

@CCWineLover If you route yourself via JFK, Newark, or Boston this company does while you wait PCR testing.  You'd have to overnight because the airline won't check your luggage through to your destination without proper entry documentation.  

https://www.xprescheck.com/locations

They turned the old Pan Am Worldport in to the TWA Hotel which is on the airport premises.  It's a convenient and very nostalgic way to spend the night at JFK. Use the code AIRLINE to get 25% off.

https://www.twahotel.com/

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Plus, just got off an interesting chat with Viking - and I know you can't trust anything they say but...

They referred me to the Verifly app on AppleStore - which is to be used to send the proof of vaccinations, plus more, such as streamlining the check-in process at the ship to get on board fast.

They also referred me to "Azova" and said they are recommending passengers use them for COVID testing.  Axova has partnered with Costo and Costco Pharmacy for US Bermuda Travelers.

https://www.azova.com/costcotravel/

We went through the web site, and also got an Azova person on.

I tried to explain to them that the process they describe won't allow for anything going wrong in the process.  If there is even a few hour delay in the labs, you won't get the results in time to get to Bermuda Govt in time for them to approve it in time in order to get on the plane on the West Coast on Monday.

The Viking rep said yes, that's a possibility.  I asked what happens if through no fault of your own, nothing goes absolutely perfectly.  She said that is a problem and you will lose all the money you put in and then quickly stated, that is the Bermuda Government policy.  Customers need to assess their own risk tolerance and she actually stated that if you have any doubts or cannot afford the risk (sounded like a financial broker), then you should not make this investment and cancel now and not go.  I was a little surprised at that.  I said does Viking realize that a decent percentage of people (especially from the West Coast) are not going to make the ship and she said yes.  

I think Ragnar was the smart one - come in early and not have that stupid Sunday in the way during test processing time!  🙂

It looks like costco is assuming the 5 day requirement for Bermuda (going by the timing on their website).  No way it will work when it changes to 4 days.

Edited by bafinegan
clarification

8 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

It looks like costco is assuming the 5 day requirement for Bermuda (going by the timing on their website).  No way it will work when it changes 2 4 days.

Exactly.  That is what I was trying to tell Viking and Azova.

However, someone posted today that all the requirements are going to be lifted on June 24.  I've asked where that information came from - that would be nice, but a little dicely.

Our go/no go decision is June 14.  We are still 50/50 on whether to risk the money or not.  We have many more cruises planned and booked, so it is not like we absolutely need this.

40 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

@CCWineLover If you route yourself via JFK, Newark, or Boston this company does while you wait PCR testing.  You'd have to overnight because the airline won't check your luggage through to your destination without proper entry documentation.  

https://www.xprescheck.com/locations

They turned the old Pan Am Worldport in to the TWA Hotel which is on the airport premises.  It's a convenient and very nostalgic way to spend the night at JFK. Use the code AIRLINE to get 25% off.

https://www.twahotel.com/

Sadly, my regret was using Viking Air.  No overnights from west coast, no stopovers, no nothing but red eye through Charlotte or Atlanta for us.  And already ticketed.  But maybe it will help someone else!

Thanks for thinking of us!

6 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Exactly.  That is what I was trying to tell Viking and Azova.

However, someone posted today that all the requirements are going to be lifted on June 24.  I've asked where that information came from - that would be nice, but a little dicely.

Our go/no go decision is June 14.  We are still 50/50 on whether to risk the money or not.  We have many more cruises planned and booked, so it is not like we absolutely need this.

Oh yea?  Where did you see that post? We are on the July 13 cruise and that would be really helpful...  ANd I also tried to talk to Viking, several times> about when the timing changes.  It was like I was talking Greek or something.  They couldn't understand that it's not 3 days after june 6, but 4 days.  ANd that it's 5 days from now until june 5...

Edited by bafinegan

Thank you so much for the photos.

the ship looks like it is only a curb away from the street. Great docking if one could come and go from the ship independently!

I did see our aft stateroom in your pictures .  Looking forward to being on the balcony on July 13! 

• Like 1

Spectacular shots!  We are on the Starboard side 4th deck and I could pick out our cabin.  Makes me excited to get through this whole mess of testing and plane flights and finally get on board!!  Been to Bermuda several times so I know exactly where she is tied up there!  Too bad we can look but not touch.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Not to sound extreme, but shame on Viking for the way your concerns were addressed.  The response seems callous & cavalier. I'm still in the working world & not from the multi-generational trust fund set, so the money I spend on my cruise passion doesn't come from unlimited tap. My TA was trying to get clarification about the Verify app & BermudaTravel Authorization PCR test, said the Viking agent was of no help . I'm loosing patience with the shore side operation.

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

7 minutes ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Not to sound extreme, but shame on Viking for the way your concerns were addressed.  The response seems callous & cavalier. I'm still in the working world & not from the multi-generational trust fund set, so the money I spend on my cruise passion doesn't come from unlimited tap. My TA was trying to get clarification about the Verify app & BermudaTravel Authorization PCR test, said the Viking agent was of no help . I'm loosing patience with the shore side operation.

Me too.  I said I was surprised! 

This whole Welcome Back set of cruises is really a mess.  I spent time reading the Iceland posts last night - wow they also have a mess, although not COVID testing related.

But we hang in there, and put up with a lot, because those of us who've been on Viking a lot, are just looking forward to the ship!

Edited by CCWineLover

1 minute ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Not to sound extreme, but shame on Viking for the way your concerns were addressed.  The response seems callous & cavalier. I'm still in the working world & not from the multi-generational trust fund set, so the money I spend on my cruise passion doesn't come from unlike tap. My TA was trying to get clarification about the Verifymon & BermudaTravel Authorization PCR test, said the Viking agent was of no help . I'm loosing patience with the shore side operation.

Good Grief !! ONE HOUR with my engineer husband trying to do VeriFly No Luck/ Could not do it. Called Viking-NO HELP-Called VeriFLy-NO HELP- but

they did say its a new app & only working on American airlines at the moment

it's been one hour of frustration. Has anyone else had a problem ??   

1 minute ago, CCWineLover said:

Me too.  I said I was surprised! 

This whole Welcome Back set of cruises is really a mess.  I spent time reading the Iceland posts last night - wow they also have a mess, although not COVID testing related.

Did your AA flight from Charlotte get changed also? I'm now on the 11:00 departure, getting in later. Do you have Exer Urgent care in your area? Its what I'm going to use in LA for my test. Exer does the PCR, 24 TO 48 hours results, open 7 days a week. 

2 minutes ago, Still traveling said:

Good Grief !! ONE HOUR with my engineer husband trying to do VeriFly No Luck/ Could not do it. Called Viking-NO HELP-Called VeriFLy-NO HELP- but

they did say its a new app & only working on American airlines at the moment

it's been one hour of frustration. Has anyone else had a problem ??   

Yikes! That's stressful & worrisome. I'm the least techie guy around & can't stand aps, PDF, ect.