Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

1 hour ago, Hockeyump said:

I call that karma!

And certainly a cautionary tale moving forward. “S” claims that they followed mask rules at all times (I might argue that they played things a bit “loosey-goosey” there but I’ll give them that) but they certainly didn’t make ANY attempts at social distancing whatsoever.  Things were just a little too cozy in all of the gatherings he arranged and hosted … and all of those were “sans masks” because they were “eating and drinking”.  

i have followed the other site for some time I have a good a pretty idea what “his” patterns are and I have little doubt that the person who tested positive with them in the mini-van was among those celebrating with him throughout the cruise.  I wouldn’t be surprised if a few more positive cases come up before Tuesday.  Thankfully they are all vaccinated so serious illness is unlikely.  

For those on later cruises … please think twice about how you choose to conduct yourselves when you get there!  Maybe that “get together “ at the bar, however “informal”, isn’t worth the risk.  We’re considering this cruise a break from quarantine, and don’t expect it to look like any other cruise we have taken with Viking.  Lovely, but different.  Let the social stuff wait fo a later date … enjoy yourself and your travel partner for now and go home at the end happy, healthy, and on schedule!

• Like 9

9 hours ago, EJLobster said:

Not to stir the pot, (hah!)  but.....Steve on that other board says he was in a 4 passenger minivan with a woman who tested positive-  so all 4 have to leave the ship, go to a hotel, and enter a 14 day quarantine. 

He's hoping to be all done with this 6 days before his Iceland trip.

Although we tested negative, we were in a 4 person minivan for 4 hours today and one tested positive. She is feeling fine — she is asymptomatic. Our contact tracing devices showed that she was not in close contact with anyone else today. Only we 4 had to leave.
Viking treated us very graciously, but the Bermuda government (not Viking) requires us to stay in a hotel in total isolation for a minimum of 14 days. On day 15 if the test is negative, we can fly home the next day making it 16 days really.
It was one of our best cruises ever until this happened. I am a very very active person. I am honestly quite worried that I may go seriously stir crazy.
This means we will probably leave for our Iceland cruise 6 days after we get home.
As we knew in advance, we are required to pay for the hotel, tip and tax and for more PCR tests.
Costs don’t worry us. Isolation does.
Again Viking did exactly what the Bermuda government regulation required them to. We love Viking now just much as we always have.
P.S. We followed all mask protocols.
P.P.S. We 4 were all vaccinated with Pfizer months ago.

Hmmm.......

Testing asymptomatic low risk persons for covid will lead to more of this.  There is no science showing that a vaccinated person who is asymptomatic and then tests positive for covid 19  poses any risk of transmission.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, EJLobster said:

Not to stir the pot, (hah!)  but.....Steve on that other board says he was in a 4 passenger minivan with a woman who tested positive-  so all 4 have to leave the ship, go to a hotel, and enter a 14 day quarantine. 

He's hoping to be all done with this 6 days before his Iceland trip.

Although we tested negative, we were in a 4 person minivan for 4 hours today and one tested positive. She is feeling fine — she is asymptomatic. Our contact tracing devices showed that she was not in close contact with anyone else today. Only we 4 had to leave.
Viking treated us very graciously, but the Bermuda government (not Viking) requires us to stay in a hotel in total isolation for a minimum of 14 days. On day 15 if the test is negative, we can fly home the next day making it 16 days really.
It was one of our best cruises ever until this happened. I am a very very active person. I am honestly quite worried that I may go seriously stir crazy.
This means we will probably leave for our Iceland cruise 6 days after we get home.
As we knew in advance, we are required to pay for the hotel, tip and tax and for more PCR tests.
Costs don’t worry us. Isolation does.
Again Viking did exactly what the Bermuda government regulation required them to. We love Viking now just much as we always have.
P.S. We followed all mask protocols.
P.P.S. We 4 were all vaccinated with Pfizer months ago.

Hmmm.......

I think that this issue should be made into a new thread. Something like:  Warning to Bermuda cruisers:

A lot of people have no idea that even if they are fully vaccinated AND wearing masks AND test negative, they can still be booted off the ship and sent into two week quarantine in a very expensive foreign country at their own expense if the contact tracing shows they were close to another fully vaccinated person who tests positive for covid but is asymptomatic.

I believe that a lot of people would think twice about cruising at this time if they knew this.  I would expect that Viking would assist in a case like this but apparently not.

Edited by basenji56
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

Testing asymptomatic low risk persons for covid will lead to more of this.  There is no science showing that a vaccinated person who is asymptomatic and then tests positive for covid 19  poses any risk of transmission.

It's good you're comfortable with that but, it's only half the story. There's no evidence that they don't pose a risk. This is all so new.  If there was scientific proof that vaccinated people posed no risk, masks and social distancing would be a thing of the past on a ship half full of completely vaccinated people.

I'm here and I purchased a very well advertised and articulated product from Viking. I did not expect to open my Viking box and find a different product. Captain just announced removal of Covid positive passenger.

Edited by MRGACRUZR
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

And certainly a cautionary tale moving forward. “S” claims that they followed mask rules at all times (I might argue that they played things a bit “loosey-goosey” there but I’ll give them that) but they certainly didn’t make ANY attempts at social distancing whatsoever.  Things were just a little too cozy in all of the gatherings he arranged and hosted … and all of those were “sans masks” because they were “eating and drinking”.  

i have followed the other site for some time I have a good a pretty idea what “his” patterns are and I have little doubt that the person who tested positive with them in the mini-van was among those celebrating with him throughout the cruise.  I wouldn’t be surprised if a few more positive cases come up before Tuesday.  Thankfully they are all vaccinated so serious illness is unlikely.  

For those on later cruises … please think twice about how you choose to conduct yourselves when you get there!  Maybe that “get together “ at the bar, however “informal”, isn’t worth the risk.  We’re considering this cruise a break from quarantine, and don’t expect it to look like any other cruise we have taken with Viking.  Lovely, but different.  Let the social stuff wait fo a later date … enjoy yourself and your travel partner for now and go home at the end happy, healthy, and on schedule!

Thank you molymoo - for your voice of reason. Still waiting for Viking to issue some sort of statement.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, EJLobster said:

Karma is a *****.  I wonder if the woman that's positive attended his coronation?  If she did then everyone one of those 35 people (plus crew) are impacted.  If she didn't, it confirms my earlier point, everyone of them could have been exposed.

Your post also confirms my greatest fear. I can't afford to end up quarantined for 14 days and away from the office for 21. 

So I hope Viking's happy.  They've managed to have a COVID incident on the first of the Bermuda cruise series all at their own hand.  I'd like to say I'm sorry for Steve but I've known a lot of Steve's in my day and they typically aren't worth anyone's pity. 

I posted about this event (before the outbreak) on Viking's Twitter account.  Hopefully this will be their wake up call. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Is this a second instance? And did he announce how many were removed with them?

No, just getting around to announcing "a passenger removal for testing positive yesterday evening". He made no statement about the other 3 that were removed with the positive passenger. I know  some people on this thread are blowing this off but "real" or "false" there are now four passengers quarantined for 14 days, at their expense, surely the van driver and his family are probably now in a 14 day quarantine and other people that have been driven around by the driver.... it just goes on and on. All of this heartache for parties, dinners, teas etc. Glad we graciously declined. In hindsight, now I know why there was a "guard" outside the owners suite each time we went to the Exploers Lounge, last night.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Karma is a *****.  I wonder if the woman that's positive attended his coronation?  If she did then everyone one of those 35 people (plus crew) are impacted.  If she didn't, it confirms my earlier point, everyone of them could have been exposed.

Your post also confirms my greatest fear. I can't afford to end up quarantined for 14 days and away from the office for 21. 

So I hope Viking's happy.  They've managed to have a COVID incident on the first of the Bermuda cruise series all at their own hand.  I'd like to say I'm sorry for Steve but I've known a lot of Steve's in my day and they typically aren't worth anyone's pity. 

I posted about this event (before the outbreak) on Viking's Twitter account.  Hopefully this will be their wake up call. 

There are Corporate Suits onboard this cruise. You have to wonder if they have any clue.

• Like 1

Just now, MRGACRUZR said:

There are Corporate Suits onboard this cruise. You have to wonder if they have any clue.

They are about to.  😉 It's only a matter of time before the newswires pick it up.

• Like 2

Just now, johnnyswitzerland said:

So sorry for this.  Has a second test confirmed that the passenger is indeed infected?

There are no details, at least from us that are still onboard. I think Steve has been mum since his announcement. Perhaps someone close would have the answer if they do followup testing to confirm a positive. I have to believe they would do 2 or three tests, to confirm one way or the other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Thank you molymoo - for your voice of reason. Still waiting for Viking to issue some sort of statement.

The fact that the person who got quarantined off the ship is very well known among Viking cruisers may prompt Viking to say something. 

What worries me the most is not his dinner party, it’s the fact he got into trouble because he had the misfortune of being in a excursion with someone who tested positive. This can happen to anyone. Doesn’t matter if only keep to ourselves and wear masks everywhere. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

The fact that the person who got quarantined off the ship is very well known among Viking cruisers may prompt Viking to say something. 

What worries me the most is not his dinner party, it’s the fact he got into trouble because he had the misfortune of being in a excursion with someone who tested positive. This can happen to anyone. Doesn’t matter if only keep to ourselves and wear masks everywhere. 

Excuse me, but it has nothing to do with some cruiser being famous or infamous. 

Some one tested positive,  through contact tracing three others are now in quarantined 

Hope  this is the end of it for all those  still on board till next Tuesday.. 

I await  an official statment from Viking  about up coming cruises, one of which I have booked. 

Many of us are wasting....

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

What worries me the most is not his dinner party

Viking not enforcing their own COVID protocols should worry all of us.  What if it was Steve that ended up infected?  Let's assume his soiree was last night and he tested positive today.  What about the other 35 passengers he would have been in contact with?  What about the crew?

Just as on the Millennium first sailing this proves vaccinated cruises aren't bullet proof.   Either Viking or any of individually letting our guard down just exponentially increases the risk. 

I'm thinking of canceling the Viking excursions and just exploring on my own. At least that way I can limit my exposure and control who I'm in contact with. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, sleepybobo said:

It's possible it wasn't a ships excursion. You don't know and neither do we. The owners suite is entitled to a private excursion, arranged by Viking. Long as we're all assuming and guessing, I'll throw that out.

Edited by MRGACRUZR
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Viking not enforcing their own COVID protocols should worry all of us.  What if it was Steve that ended up infected?  Let's assume his soiree was last night and he tested positive today.  What about the other 35 passengers he would have been in contact with?  What about the crew?

Just as on the Millennium first sailing this proves vaccinated cruises aren't bullet proof.   Either Viking or any of individually letting our guard down just exponentially increases the risk. 

I'm thinking of canceling the Viking excursions and just exploring on my own. At least that way I can limit my exposure and control who I'm in contact with. 

Does it say somewhere he was on a Viking Excursion?

2 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

It's possible it wasn't a ships excursion. You don't know and neither do we. The owners suite is entitled to a private excursion, arranged by Viking. Long as we're all assuming and questing, I'll throw that out.

I asked the same question to Gonzo on the thread I started for June 15 cruisers to answer.

thanks for the info about  a private tour  for owner suite  occupants. I feel bad for the driver too. 

3 minutes ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Does it say somewhere he was on a Viking Excursion?

With all of the butt kissing Viking was doing I just assumed he'd have been on a Viking or Viking-arranged excursion.  Had it turned out differently he could have posted about how tightly controlled Viking's excursions were and how safe he felt.  Would'a, could'a, should'a. 

But it does bring up the point that allowing us out of the bubble does pose its own risks. 

• Like 2

Like everything about Covid, the "science" is being developed by time, we, the guinea pigs and information gathering. I think it is safe to say that the passenger that tested positive, was in the stages of becoming positive before ever getting on the ship. I think it's generally accepted that it takes at least 4 days to be "detected". So, the moral of the story is you just don't know to whom you're letting your guard down. You can stay in your own bubble and still have a great cruise.

Edited by MRGACRUZR
  • Like 3

Hey @MRGACRUZR.  I hope this doesn't screw up the rest of your cruise.  I'd imagine it's kind of the elephant in the room now.  

This really does emphasize the need for personal responsibility.  Had I been invited to Steve's soiree I'd have declined.  The other 34 had that option too.  Also, having known what took place I'd have avoided Steve and his troop like the plague if I saw them anywhere on the ship.  

If there's a positive to this it's to not let ourselves get lulled in to a false sense of security.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just one more thought on "how could this happen?"

So, the Passenger that tested positive had to become positive between their negative PCR test to visit the island and day four of the cruise. Weird Science?

Edited by MRGACRUZR
  • Like 1

So, the Passenger that tested positive had to become positive between their negative PCR test to visit the island and day four of the cruise. Weird Science?

I now appreciate Bermuda's testing schedule:: upon arrival,  day 4, 8, 14.

Aren't you all spitting in to a tube everyday?  If so I'd imagine (or hope) that's what caught her change in status.