BUMMER: PORT AUTHORITY OF NY & NJ

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

New York City OWNS the terminal.. It operates under the authority of the NY-NJ Joint PORT of AUTHORITY.

Ok. Wrong on ownership but operated by Ports America.  P&O was involved until 2014.  We lived in NJ then and recall a controversy about China trying to become the operator. 

21 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Sarcasm Alert!

I don't know, I think I heard the PA likes to release press releases on policy issues late on Saturday nights because that's the only time executives are available to make decisions.

Sarcasm Alert over.

There was no way there was ever going to an announcement. Hopefully we will hear Royal's restart plans in a couple of weeks and then we will know when cruising out of the Port of NY & NJ is likely to restart.

Absolutely, that's the best informational news I've read all morning ! I'm with you !

13 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Ok. Wrong on ownership but operated by Ports America.  P&O was involved until 2014.  We lived in NJ then and recall a controversy about China trying to become the operator. 

That wouldn't be a big surprise if China had something to do with the ownership, they own a lot more than we'll ever know. NOT that there's anything wrong with that 😉

• Like 1

I saw the following in the news today.  I wonder how this will influence the port opening since 'parts' (public venues) of NYC is opening earlier than originally anticipated:

"In New York, ground zero for much of last spring’s pandemic peak, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced yesterday that all public venues, from restaurants to Broadway theaters, can fill to capacity on May 19. Neighboring Connecticut and New Jersey announced similar reopenings. But health experts urged officials not to be lulled by lowering case numbers and growing immunization, noting the danger from highly contagious virus variants in a population that isn’t fully protected."

Sources: BBC, Washington Post, NYT

Here is what I found on the NJ Covid Information Hub website:

"If there is no unexpected uptick in COVID-19 numbers, on Wednesday, May 19, indoor business gatherings and organized gatherings (e.g. conferences, expositions, meetings of fraternal organizations, job trainings, events hosted by senior centers) will be limited to 250 people, so long as social distancing can be maintained."

(I wonder if embarkation is considered a 'business gathering"?)

What do others think?  Any hope of sailing out of NY/NJ earlier than you originally thought?

18 minutes ago, keyboardjunkie said:

What do others think? 

RCI will figure out a way to work around restrictions once the main one, from the CDC, is satisfied.

Biker, who thinks the enforcement of staggered arrival (and perhaps departure) at Cape Liberty could get ugly.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:59 PM, notmyrealnameoremail said:

The PA is  not closing the port until Q2 2022.  It is OPEN now. It's not their fault the cruise lines are not cruising in the US.  Why would they close?

True... perhaps the comment in the meeting was just an exaggeration that was misunderstood.  Something along the lines of "we have more important things to worry about in this meeting", e.g. dealing with ports for ships that are actually sailing now.  

No need for the PA to worry about passenger terminals until they have a request to actually dock there.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I don't need to have anyone in the know at the Port Authority to know liberal NJ and NY have no plans to resume normal life. 

If you think this virus cares about the color of the state, then how do you explain deep blue California? They currently have the lowest covid rate in the country by far. Far, far lower than Florida. And yet blue NY, NJ, and CO have some of the highest rates. I don't think it is liberal vs conservative.  The virus really doesn't care who is governing.

california now lowest covid rate in the country..jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I don't need to have anyone in the know at the Port Authority to know liberal NJ and NY have no plans to resume normal life. 

Are you still an antivaxxer? Figures you would try to make a silly political jab.. If so why do you care......you won't be cruising whenever ports reopen in NY, NJ, or Florida......

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cured said:

If you think this virus cares about the color of the state, then how do you explain deep blue California? They currently have the lowest covid rate in the country by far. Far, far lower than Florida. And yet blue NY, NJ, and CO have some of the highest rates. I don't think it is liberal vs conservative.  The virus really doesn't care who is governing.

california now lowest covid rate in the country..jpg

Maybe the governor of California should write a book about how well he has done in the past 15 months based on the last 7 days - 

The truth is the color of the state does matter when you look at all numbers of cases/deaths/unemployment. The state of California got hit hard in everyway, as did many northeast blue states. 

But we are happy for the people of California for these numbers because they were victims of much more than the virus!

Edited by Stick93

On 5/1/2021 at 9:59 PM, njkruzer said:

??? Must have been sold recently..

term.JPG

We,my husband and I,

went to link for crew members and families[link above] and under itineries it showed ships from July to Oct leaving New York not Bayonne New Jersey.Wonder if we read it correctly as we really want to sail on the Oasis in Sept.We like leaving from New York as well as Bayonne.EXCITED MAYBE WE WILL CRUISE ON SEPT 12 FOR OUR 51ST WEDDING ANNIVERSARY.Blessings on us all

3 hours ago, cured said:

If you think this virus cares about the color of the state, then how do you explain deep blue California? They currently have the lowest covid rate in the country by far. Far, far lower than Florida.

Many moved out of CA.  And many moved into FL.

• Like 2

Further info regarding crew today......another cruise line but you never know if Royal will follow suit:

"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings is temporarily suspending all assignments for its crew from India, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and South Africa amid a surge of Covid-19 cases in these countries. According to a letter by NCLH Vice President, Shipboard HR Operations the company has made a hard decision to suspend incoming crew movement based on reviewing crewing pools by country considering three factors: Prevalence, Number of mutations, and general availability of vaccines to seafarers in the listed countries."  (Source: https://crew-center.com/nclh-temporarily-halts-crew-assignments-countries-high-covid-19-prevalence)

1 hour ago, njkruzer said:

What's interesting is that the Anthem never arrives in Cape Liberty,  just leaves November 7th.  Still want to know.

Because everything on 3rd party sites on the internet is 100% correct, always? 

• Haha 2

Just now, karl_nj said:

Because everything on 3rd party sites on the internet is 100% correct, always? 

Of course not but no site i have looked at has the ship sailing from Southampton or arriving in NJ.  Even sites that show cruises that are cancelled show them as cancelled.  The Anthem just is totally missing between its arrival in Southampton and its departure from Cape Liberty 18 days later!

10 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Of course not but no site i have looked at has the ship sailing from Southampton or arriving in NJ.  Even sites that show cruises that are cancelled show them as cancelled.  The Anthem just is totally missing between its arrival in Southampton and its departure from Cape Liberty 18 days later!

It could be that the ship's crew will have been vaccinated and the time needed for the vaccine to become fully effective will be during the transit time.

This would enable the entire crew to be FULLY protected, AS WELL AS THEIR PASSENGERS,  by November 7th. 

JMHO

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

It could be that the ship's crew will have been vaccinated and the time needed for the vaccine to become fully effective will be during the transit time.

This would enable the entire crew to be FULLY protected, AS WELL AS THEIR PASSENGERS,  by November 7th. 

JMHO

The ship is sailing out of Southampton all summer and we sail on her October 9th. Had planned to remain onboard for the TA.  Our October 9th cruise is still listed.  If they are cancelling the TA it would be nice if they told us.  Should be vaccinating their crew before it resumes sailing out of Southampton. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 6:29 PM, keyboardjunkie said:

Further info regarding crew today......another cruise line but you never know if Royal will follow suit:

"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings is temporarily suspending all assignments for its crew from India, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and South Africa amid a surge of Covid-19 cases in these countries. According to a letter by NCLH Vice President, Shipboard HR Operations the company has made a hard decision to suspend incoming crew movement based on reviewing crewing pools by country considering three factors: Prevalence, Number of mutations, and general availability of vaccines to seafarers in the listed countries."  (Source: https://crew-center.com/nclh-temporarily-halts-crew-assignments-countries-high-covid-19-prevalence)

South Africa? They've been doing fine since the end of January.