just got jabbed

11 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

Can anyone tell me the probability of someone getting fatally sick on a vaccinated cruise.

99% survival rate pre vaccination.

Vaccines 75-95% effective against contracting covid. 

So what's the actual % chance of someone dying from covid onboard a vaccinated cruise??

It depends on a lot of different factors, of course, but I'd say for the average cruise passenger (not too old, not too many comorbidities) that's vaccinated, only cruising with other vaccinated passengers and crew, only encountering vaccinated people on land in port, with masks and social distancing required, sailing within a day or two of a willing hospital... the odds have to be literally one chance in a million or less.  With as many people as the cruise lines want to embark, it'll probably happen sometime, but hopefully not before we start to not freak out about such things.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2021 at 8:08 AM, LoungingMcCoy said:

I was one of the unlucky ones. 

My first Pfizer shot felt like someone sticking a glowing hot needle in my arm.  A few minutes later my arm went numb and that lasted a couple of hours.  The nurses didn't seem concerned about it.

After my second shot, I woke up in the wee hours of the morning drenched in sweat, with chills, fever, and vomiting.  I felt ill for 3 or 4 days.

Totally worth it if it gets me on our January 2022 cruise!  lol

I will be hard pressed to get it. I just really do not see the benefit. I already had Covid and never even noticed, so what benefit would the vaccine be for me? It has been widely reported that getting the vaccine does not prevent you from carrying or transmitting the virus and you still have a chance of catching it though greatly reduced. Add to that the possibility that my reaction to the vaccine could be much worse than my having the virus. I would much rather take my chances of catching it again since I did not even experience a cough.   

• Like 2

Got the J&J three weeks ago so I am now "fully vaccinated" according to what they told me at the vaccination site (said fully vaccinated in 21 days.)

Son got his too and he felt a little disoriented about 7hrs later but that was his only side effect.  I could definitely feel the burn and knot in my arm for about 30min after the shot but just a discomfort rather than pain.

But 7hrs later for me.....teeth chattering chills, headache, fatigue, low-grade fever.  I went to bed with a hoodie, wool socks, flannel PJs, and 4 blankets.  I could not get warm until about 5hrs later when I woke up with a cold sweat.  I shed the blankets and clothes and got out of bed to get a Gatorade and take my temp.  I was sooooo tired just walking from my bedroom to the kitchen.  It started going through my clouded mind that I had contracted Covid days before and the symptoms just happen to set in on the day I got the vaccine.

Next day was blah with a headache but I was back to normal (at least normal in my mind) in about 36hrs.

Edited by Alibaster McGillicutty

I am certainly not an expert on Medicine and certainly not with predicting the probability here. I will say that I hope that "All" passengers get "vaccinated and vetted" prior to cruising. With all of the current/future variables (both known and still unknown) there still could be fully vaccinated ships that have to be quarantined. When we are dealing with probabilities and metrics the outcomes are "Infinitely Limitless". 

These Covid Vaccines will likely be treated as the "Flu" vaccine and recommended annually (just my Cruise Nut opinion and my opinion only). 

Hubby got his 2nd Pfizer dose last week - absolutely no issues with it.  I get my 2nd dose Wednesday - so excited!  Even if I do have a few side effects from it, it's far safer than getting CV, IMHO.  I've talked to people who are "waiting on herd immunity" instead of getting the vaccine.  Geez.  That's their choice, but I just don't get it. (Insert eyes rolling here.....)  Our state has now made the vaccine available to everyone who wants it - but apparently few do.  And it's the same people who have been screaming for a vaccine to be developed!  Ugh!  

Got my first Moderna shot about mid Feb, just a sore arm. When I got the second Moderna shot, I was ok till about 8 hours later....fever, chills, body ached all over, tremendous headache.  That second shot was a real knock ya down. Stayed in bed for 24 hours, slowly got better then fine after about a day or so.  I noted some people have this reaction and others do not..just surprised how intense the second shot effects were. Wife had #2 with no problem at all....go figure?

20 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

Can anyone tell me the probability of someone getting fatally sick on a vaccinated cruise.

99% survival rate pre vaccination.

Vaccines 75-95% effective against contracting covid. 

So what's the actual % chance of someone dying from covid onboard a vaccinated cruise??

jperry........there is no math in Cruise Critic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2021 at 5:31 PM, jetsfan58 said:

Keep encouraging family and friends to get it done. Congratulations.

I have 2 neighbors, both sides, originally saying they wouldn't get the jab.  Now that I did it and I told them it was like a flu shot both times they are coming over.  As for family, this isn't an optional activity. We have 2 completed and 4 with one shot and 3 more to go.  

I got my second Moderna on Saturday morning, had a headache and felt a little achy Sunday morning, then Sunday afternoon it was the fever and chills.  I slept most of today (Monday's my day off), and this evening temp is normal, but still a bit tired.  

I think vaccinated or not, the key to fun cruising is going to be what happens when someone comes down with it.  The successful cruising that's been happening since last fall, pre-vaccine, indicates to me they can find ways to handle it.  I'm so confident I booked a cruise for September a couple weeks ago.  I'm willing to go on a cruise whether or not others have been vaccinated.  

Edited by naxer
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 6:04 AM, Essiesmom said:

Or in nursing school when you had to give the first shots to classmates.  As well as bedbaths...  EM

I remember those bedbaths.

Didn't have to give shots to each other though,  used sandbags.

21 hours ago, asalligo said:

I will be hard pressed to get it. I just really do not see the benefit. I already had Covid and never even noticed, so what benefit would the vaccine be for me? It has been widely reported that getting the vaccine does not prevent you from carrying or transmitting the virus and you still have a chance of catching it though greatly reduced. Add to that the possibility that my reaction to the vaccine could be much worse than my having the virus. I would much rather take my chances of catching it again since I did not even experience a cough.   

You make some good points. 

I was never concerned about contracting Covid.  (I don't want to start any arguments, so I'll just leave it at that.  lol)  I'm a firefighter/EMT.  Even though my department took protective measures early on, I'm sure most of us probably had it.  I never noticed any symptoms, and I never was tested.

I got the vaccine because of travel.  I suspect that the vaccine will be a requirement for cruising, at least in the near term.  And even though I suspect I had the virus at some point, if I didn't have it I hope to be protected.  I can't imagine what it would be like to show up at the cruise terminal after spending money on a cruise, flights, and a hotel and being told I couldn't board.  For me the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

I don't believe the vaccine should be mandatory, and everyone should do what they think is right.  I also believe that the cruise lines are within their rights to require the vaccine for boarding if that's what they decide.

• Like 2