Shore Excursions for summer cruises out of St Maarten

slanik

When I booked our cruise out of St Maarten for June 26th, I thought that we would not be required to only take Celebrity Excursions.  I thought I read that we would be able to explore on our own.  However, today I read this on the Celebrity website.

While Ashore

Initially, guests will only be allowed off the ship in all ports on one of our curated shore excursions. These curated experiences will extend the highest health and safety standards. Most experiences are outdoors and guests will be encouraged to stay with their group. Buses will be at reduced capacity and will be sanitized frequently. Small Group Discoveries will be available and for those who would prefer to tour with their family or group, Private Journeys will be available. We’re working closely with local government to comply with their requirements.

Does anyone know the rules?

As of right now on Celebrity web site we do have to take a shore excursion. But as things change with vaccinations and the virus that could change per each port. Our cruise is in Aug. so we are hoping things will improve. But if not we will still be glad to be out. 

2 minutes ago, lostchild said:

If they let you get off the ship, it would defeat the purpose I think.

Thanks for responding, I understand (and have no problem if that is the policy-for now) - just wondering if it's stated (point blank) in the docs and will probably be announced (repeatedly!)??  Otherwise, I sure hope they have some crew members "work the line" to the gangway so that folks are reminded that they must have an excursion to get off the ship.  Would hate to be the gangway staff on duty having to inform folks that they need to turn back.  Things could get ugly - and bogged down... some people don't read the rules and others think the rules don't apply to them - oh well, it will all get figured out on these first few cruises.  

I don't think this is likely to add clarity, but here's something from the FAQ for the Healthy at Sea stuff Celebrity offers:

Will I be required to purchase a Celebrity shore excursion while visiting ports of call? 

Initially guests will only be allowed off the ship in all ports on one of our curated shore excursions. 

These curated experiences will extend the highest health and safety standards.  

Most experiences are outdoors and guests will be encouraged to stay with their group. Buses will be at reduced capacity and will be sanitized frequently. Small Group Discoveries will be available and for those who would prefer to tour with their family or group, Private Journeys will be available. We’re working closely with local government to comply with their requirements. 

Is it me, or is that a bit vague?

9 minutes ago, mom says said:

What about that is vague to you? Either take one of the offered excursions, or stay on the ship.

Well, it says "initially" - how long is that? And "guests will be encouraged to stay with their group" - encouraged but not required? So it's not vague? It really is just me? I do have trouble with road signs, so I guess that's not a big surprise.

2 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

Well, it says "initially" - how long is that? And "guests will be encouraged to stay with their group" - encouraged but not required? So it's not vague? It really is just me? I do have trouble with road signs, so I guess that's not a big surprise.

I agree, it is vague, very vague  Encouraged is much different than required...

• Like 1

Initially is until the port and cruise line decide passengers on their own are not posing a risk to others. That could vary by port and if cases are low or rising.  

Guests will be “encouraged”  because if they wander off they can be barred from reboarding or quarantined.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Initially is until the port and cruise line decide passengers on their own are not posing a risk to others. That could vary by port and if cases are low or rising.  

Guests will be “encouraged”  because if they wander off they can be barred from reboarding or quarantined.

well then, Celebrity should be very explicit about that

• Like 3

I agree with the initial poster, we were informed when we booked that we would not be required to book a ship excursion. That seems to have been changed to that quoted here. 

The tours described show free time on the beach in some places and time on your own in various places, walking tours in busy places etc etc. How can they hope to herd people around and keep them together in a bubble if thats what is intended! I think those tours will be different than described and people will be disappointed if that is the case. In Cyprus no private or small tours are included as yet.

If they want to encourage people, there needs to be much more clarity about the tours offered.

I had already contacted a guide for a private tour who is vaccinated and government approved!

I'll just wait until we see what develops over the early sailings and if all else fails I'll enjoy 7 nights at sea and that would be bliss lol!