With the airfare promo, can we fly into Greece a couple days early?

qdog123

19 minutes ago, qdog123 said:

Also, I know we have to use cruise line sponsored excursions but if we fly in a couple of days early can we explore on our own?

Too early to say.  Here is an excerpt from the US Embassy in Greece website:

Entry and Exit Requirements:

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? No
    • Greece will currently only allow EU citizens, EU residents, and residents of certain other specific countries to enter. The United States is not one of those countries.  U.S. citizens traveling to Greece will not be permitted to enter unless they meet one of only a few narrow exceptions detailed in the Greek Embassy’s information on entrance into the European Union/Schengen Area There is no projected date when entry will be permitted.  A long visit in a third country will not help you get around EU restrictions.
    • The Embassy is aware that high-level officials have spoken of intentions to facilitate summer 2021 tourism to Greece.  However, there is no projected date when entry will be permitted for residents of the United States.  The U.S. Embassy in Athens cannot give you any assurance regarding whether or when residents of the United States may be allowed to enter Greece.
    • If you do not meet the conditions or exceptions mentioned above but believe your circumstances merit entry to Greece, or if you need clarification, contact the closest Greek Embassy or consulate prior to travel.  The U.S. Embassy in Athens cannot give you permission to enter Greece or request exceptions to EU travel restrictions.
    • If you are in the EU on a military base, you must check the EUCOM travel policy and with your unit commander prior to official or personal travel to Greece.  The Embassy’s consular section cannot authorize or confirm your ability to enter Greece.  If authorized by your command to travel, you MUST complete the online Passenger Locator Form (PLF) 48 hours before entering Greece, regardless of purpose of travel.
    • All travelers who are eligible to enter Greece must complete the online Passenger Locator Form (PLF) at least 48 hours before entering Greece.  See the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs post on procedures for international arrivals.  Travelers with connecting flights to Greece report overnight delays for failing to fill out the PLF prior to travel.
    • All Greek citizens and permanent residents must now submit a PLF prior to departure as well.
    • Once you start filling out the PLF form, you are given the option to select arrival or departure.  For any questions regarding this form, the Greek Government has instituted a PLF Hot Line at +30-215-560-5151, available Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm in English and Greek.

Yeah, that’s the crazy part about trying to book these cruises now. Greece is still in lockdown and I would hope that would change by August but do I really want to tie up the money if the restrictions still look too severe...

8 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I'm hoping the same. Greece expects to open back up in May, so we should be able to enjoy Greece. According to NCL FAQ, we can request a flight up to 2 days before or after, but it doesn't mean it won't cost extra.

NCL allows flight deviations as per the Free at Sea policy, airfare price doesn't change:

Deviation Requests:

• Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation for guests 1 and 3-8 on the reservation. No other deviation requests will be permitted.
  • Date deviations can be added up to 75 days prior to embarkation; once flight is ticketed, date deviations can no longer be requested.
  • Secondary land package must be selected.
  • Deviation requests will not be permitted on any Norwegian Jewel sailing leg that embarks or debarks to/from Papeete, Tahiti.
  • Hotel add-on is not required for deviation request to apply.
  • Deviation credit is non-refundable and non-transferable.

I'm booked on the very first cruise out of Athens on July 25, 2021. I called yesterday to add a deviation to fly in a day early and they arranged it without issue. I also opted to stay in the NCL arranged hotel (Grand Hyatt Athens) so that I didn't have to find my own room, but that wasn't required. 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2021 at 2:00 AM, Nola26 said:

NCL allows flight deviations as per the Free at Sea policy, airfare price doesn't change:

Deviation Requests:

• Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation for guests 1 and 3-8 on the reservation. No other deviation requests will be permitted.
  • Date deviations can be added up to 75 days prior to embarkation; once flight is ticketed, date deviations can no longer be requested.
  • Secondary land package must be selected.
  • Deviation requests will not be permitted on any Norwegian Jewel sailing leg that embarks or debarks to/from Papeete, Tahiti.
  • Hotel add-on is not required for deviation request to apply.
  • Deviation credit is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Thank you very much for your info. Well appreciated. We have 4 NCL cruises book for the next 6 months out of Rome.

Stay Safe!

I hope that NCL is closely following Cruise Critic!!!

We, in the New Zealand and Australian region, are being discriminated against yet again.

NCL is not offering those of us who live in that area the "Airfare Promo".

Mike

49 minutes ago, soonernick said:

I'm booked on the very first cruise out of Athens on July 25, 2021. I called yesterday to add a deviation to fly in a day early and they arranged it without issue. I also opted to stay in the NCL arranged hotel (Grand Hyatt Athens) so that I didn't have to find my own room, but that wasn't required. 

I can attest to the same. I am booked on the October 3rd sailing out of Athens and my airfare has me arrive on October 1st. 

2 hours ago, soonernick said:

That’s great, no extra charge? What were they getting per night for the hotel? I booked the August 29th sailing with CruiseNext vouchers. I figured I could cancel by the end of June(final payment date) if it doesn’t look like Greece is doing any better. 

4 hours ago, casofilia said:

I hope that NCL is closely following Cruise Critic!!!

We, in the New Zealand and Australian region, are being discriminated against yet again.

NCL is not offering those of us who live in that area the "Airfare Promo".

Mike

Well, we in the US don't get the same perks that other countries get.  Some areas get free gratuities for example. 

I may be wrong but I believe I've seen posts from people booking through a US agency and paying in USD in order to get " US" perks, although I don't know if they are better in the long run, depending on how they affect the final cost.

20 hours ago, qdog123 said:

That’s great, no extra charge? What were they getting per night for the hotel? I booked the August 29th sailing with CruiseNext vouchers. I figured I could cancel by the end of June(final payment date) if it doesn’t look like Greece is doing any better. 

I'm actually not 100% sure - I used a ton of FCCs and bonus FCCs from my 3 cancelled sailings (going back to Cuba in 2019), so my final bill isn't as transparent as you might think. The hotel was expensive, $180 a person ($360 total), but the transfer cost went down as they don't have a transfer from the airport to the hotel. Allegedly transfers from the hotel to the port are included though.

Fingers crossed Greece follows through on their plans to reopen to tourism in May!

1 hour ago, soonernick said:

I'm actually not 100% sure - I used a ton of FCCs and bonus FCCs from my 3 cancelled sailings (going back to Cuba in 2019), so my final bill isn't as transparent as you might think. The hotel was expensive, $180 a person ($360 total), but the transfer cost went down as they don't have a transfer from the airport to the hotel. Allegedly transfers from the hotel to the port are included though.

Fingers crossed Greece follows through on their plans to reopen to tourism in May!

Cool! I just booked the Herodian Hotel. It was #1 on trip advisor and smack in the middle of all the tourist stuff. It’s surprisingly cheap at around $100 per night with no money due till August 25th through agoda. It’s apparently right on the train line so we can take the train from the airport and I think we can take the train to the port as well. I have to check on that part though. 

1 hour ago, soonernick said:

Might be under renovation? Check with NCL

8B39E4DC-CFDD-44D4-A99A-2B6C8F6CA77A.png

I wonder if US tourist will be allowed as well.  But just saw an article reporting Greece is opening to US  tourist next week. (Vaccinated or negative test)   Not sure if I should add the link in case the source is deemed a travel agency as that is against the rules.  Saw it confirmed in 2 articles. I expect more reporting will be available soon.  So we shall see.

Easy to google as this was announced today. 

The EU county I wish to visit, On the other hand, is requiring a mandatory 14 day quarantine for US tourist arriving  starting tomorrow at 0400.  Her son is the number of variants in the US.