Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

17 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

We think summer dress is bright colors and white or light.  On Midnight Sun in Norway when it was cold, the flannels and dark colors were out.  It wasn't really warm until the heat wave in London.  In SA it was warm in northern cities and cold at the horn.  Clothing colors and style changed with location.  But it really doesn't matter.  There are no fashion police.

I'd rather be too warm than too cool, so I lean toward darker, warmer clothing if there's any doubt of what the temperature will be on the ship or off.  Others may have other preferences.  But one thing I always pack is a light cardigan sweater, usually black (but tan might be even better if I could find one)  in case it's a little too airconditioned, we're eating outside when it's borderline weather, or it's just colder than I think it will be.  My last trip was Australia/New Zealand 2019 (their "summer" my winter), and there were some people on the ship that mentioned they wished they had packed heavier things.  Layering is helpful. And yes, there are no fashion police.

16 minutes ago, StuLaurie said:

Can anyone tell me what times were offered for the Northern Icelands’s Natural Treasures Excursion in Akureyri on day 4?

Only 8:30 am for this 7 hour excursion is offered on the July 10th cruise.

52 minutes ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

What ever happened to the nice fabric zippered tote Viking sent with cruise documentation, tags and stickers? Everything is now sent in a throw away paper envelope?? ☹️👎🏻

I know!  SOOOOO disappointing!  No free random gifts, either...

3 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Only 8:30 am for this 7 hour excursion is offered on the July 10th cruise.

The July 3 cruise originally only offered an 8:30 option but just added a second one leaving at 9am so this might change for your July 10 cruise soon. 

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I don’t see a stop so labeled?  Am I missing something on the map?

I haven't looked at the bus schedule, but I have READ that, at least pre-Covid, that bus 16 ran to the port (Skarfabakki) when there is a cruise ship docked. And from Skarfabakki there's a small ferry that goes over to Videy Island, the small island with the John Lennon Peace Tower or whatever it's called.  So perhaps the bus only runs there when a cruise ship or the ferry is there. Or maybe it only runs in the summer.  It's still early - at least for Iceland!

1 hour ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

What ever happened to the nice fabric zippered tote Viking sent with cruise documentation, tags and stickers? Everything is now sent in a throw away paper envelope?? ☹️👎🏻

They've got their hands full, I think!  If you'd like the tote, I still have one I could send you.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

5 minutes ago, VI_Lounger said:

The July 3 cruise originally only offered an 8:30 option but just added a second one leaving at 9am so this might change for your July 10 cruise soon. 

Those times aren’t bad at all. For some reason I was thinking it would be much earlier. Now If only we could get Viking to just release them for the later dates.   Thank you

I was on a shoreX in Canada where school busses were brought in from as far as 12 hours away.  Part of their journey was by ferry.  Our tour guide was the president of the garden club.  He knew which streets had the best front yards.  🙂  He and other residents volunteered to show us their town.  The small museum on traditional life of the first people in the area was a highlight.  An elder spoke and his grandson interpreted.  There were 4 exhibits, one for each season. 

I look forward to opportunities in Iceland to connect with the people who live in the places we will visit.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I haven't looked at the bus schedule, but I have READ that, at least pre-Covid, that bus 16 ran to the port (Skarfabakki) when there is a cruise ship docked. And from Skarfabakki there's a small ferry that goes over to Videy Island, the small island with the John Lennon Peace Tower or whatever it's called.  So perhaps the bus only runs there when a cruise ship or the ferry is there. Or maybe it only runs in the summer.  It's still early - at least for Iceland!

They've got their hands full, I think!  If you'd like the tote, I still have one I could send you.  

We're going to think of ourselves as Viking Royalty. Back in the day when we got nice red blankets, UK/euro chargers, nice blue travel pouches. 👸🤴

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

If you'd like the tote, I still have one I could send you.  

Only One? We have a tote full of empty totes (we have only cruised VO 4 times) sitting on the shelf in the closet, plus two full of travel electronics. 

45 minutes ago, StuLaurie said:

Those times aren’t bad at all. For some reason I was thinking it would be much earlier. Now If only we could get Viking to just release them for the later dates.   Thank you

Hang in there! I drove everyone nuts worrying about excursions and now we have every single one we wanted to do. They just started adding more each day over the past week for the July 3 trip. Of course, we're now checking constantly in case they add something new that might change our minds about what we what to do. I need to let go but have been away from cruising so long that I can't stop the madness. 🛥️

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gramfrog said:

I know!  SOOOOO disappointing!  No free random gifts, either...

Covid happened, virtually last minute cruises, major logistics to organize in a changing environment, no time to design pouches or print booklets...I think I will give Viking a break on this issue.  Never got a gift for any cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Covid happened, virtually last minute cruises, major logistics to organize in a changing environment, no time to design pouches or print booklets...I think I will give Viking a break on this issue.  Never got a gift for any cruise.

I might sound a bit cynical, but remember, there's no such thing as a "free gift" when you're paying a fare.  We bought every wool pouch and charge adapter that ever appeared on our doorstep.  Call it an unwitting purchase.

18 minutes ago, BlairsvilleCruiseGirl said:

When do you have to pay for the excursions?  When purchased or closer to sailing?

Immediately. A place on a tour is not yours until you have paid for it, even if it is in your shopping cart. One technique is to put the two or three most important tours into your cart and then check out. Then come back and add in the other tours you are interested in.

While complimentary, you still have to reserve a spot on the included tours. Again, the reservation is not your until you go to the shopping cart and check out.

PLAN NOW: Information about the tours is available on this thread, page 30, post #733. Combine this with the detailed information about each excursion on the Viking website and except for the timing of each tour, you should be able to figure out which tours you want.

Yes, you can take two tours a day, except maybe in Heimaey where we have only 6 hours. Plan your optional tours and then work in the included.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2021 at 3:27 PM, JM0115 said:

We have been to Iceland once and saw no puffins! My wife calls them imaginary birds :). I hope you have better luck!

We have also been to Iceland before and were lucky - saw puffins on the excursion to Vigur Island out of Isafjordur. Good luck to my fellow puffin lovers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I got forwarded email too. Says we'll get questionnaire later; need to fill it out 5-7 days pre-embarkation.  No problem. 

Health questionnaire can be found on MVJ under Guest Information, Health Questionnaire tab. Says it will be available 7 days prior to the cruise. 

1 hour ago, BeardieMom55 said:

We have also been to Iceland before and were lucky - saw puffins on the excursion to Vigur Island out of Isafjordur. Good luck to my fellow puffin lovers.

I saw puffins in the Shetland Islands, but I had to do a lot of research to find out where they might be.  Luckily, they WERE there when i went looking for them.  Thrilling. 

1 hour ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

And also day 6 they added 3, I think.😃

Would love to hear more about the new excursion if/when you have time!

2 hours ago, VI_Lounger said:

Hang in there! I drove everyone nuts worrying about excursions and now we have every single one we wanted to do. They just started adding more each day over the past week for the July 3 trip. Of course, we're now checking constantly in case they add something new that might change our minds about what we what to do. I need to let go but have been away from cruising so long that I can't stop the madness. 🛥️

I TOTALLY understand!  Besides, if Viking ends up with a lot of people who weren't able to get the excursion they want, they will at least ask the vendor if there's any way they could add another bus or tour or time. Sometimes, of course, that's not possible, no matter how much everyone wants it.  But honestly, I've been impressed with Viking's on board excursion folks every time I've cruised on Viking.  The prices are reasonable, there are few excursions that are dropped due to low sign-up, and the excursion folks are pretty knowledgeable about the excursions.  

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Immediately. A place on a tour is not yours until you have paid for it, even if it is in your shopping cart. One technique is to put the two or three most important tours into your cart and then check out. Then come back and add in the other tours you are interested in.

While complimentary, you still have to reserve a spot on the included tours. Again, the reservation is not your until you go to the shopping cart and check out.

PLAN NOW: Information about the tours is available on this thread, page 30, post #733. Combine this with the detailed information about each excursion on the Viking website and except for the timing of each tour, you should be able to figure out which tours you want.

Yes, you can take two tours a day, except maybe in Heimaey where we have only 6 hours. Plan your optional tours and then work in the included.

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Only One? We have a tote full of empty totes (we have only cruised VO 4 times) sitting on the shelf in the closet, plus two full of travel electronics. 

At this point in my life, I'm trying to simplify, and get rid of the clutter.  So yes, only one felt case with a quote.  But my husband might have quite a few more.  He handles clutter much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1