Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

That issue has been taken care of. Viking has added more capacity and more choices of tours since booking opened on May 7. At this point, no one on my roll call has reported that they can't get the tours they want.

That was actually my point. Viking was made aware of the dissatisfaction regarding the availability of certain excursions and worked to find a solution.

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

That issue has been taken care of. Viking has added more capacity and more choices of tours since booking opened on May 7. At this point, no one on my roll call has reported that they can't get the tours they want.

Maybe for July 3, not for July 10.  Wildlife of Heimaey by Boat has been sold out since 6 AM PDT on May 8.  (As are all the optional tours at Heimay.)  I've seen the talk of new excursions and new seats offered on the various threads here, but not actual seats at Heimay for the July 10 sailing.

Naturally I keep checking many times each day, but, so far, nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLGators#1 said:

From the bringbacktravel.com site:

“Iceland has reopened the country's borders to tourists since June 15, 2020. Passengers will be given two options on arrival - be tested for Covid upon arrival (15000 ISK/ $110 USD) or go into quarantine for two weeks.”

I don’t recall reading anywhere else that we will be required to pay $110 per person to get a Covid test to get into the country. I read this site the other day and I don’t think that pricing was listed… It would’ve caught my attention. And if it’s factual and up to date ... are we paying or is Viking?  Yikes.

Ignore. This information is out of date.

At this moment, we expect to be tested at the airport upon arrival, no fee involved. However, things are slowly changing and may change by the time we actually travel.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

I don't see the Moderna vaccine specified in this document, or is it the third one on the list?

The third one is AstraZeneca.  Someone said the fourth is Moderna but when I googled the fourth one it came up as J&J.

Edited by ejc14

1 hour ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Apparently someone else 2 pages back asked the same question.   Those in contact with the airlines said that Moderna is accepted.  But, I'm going to have my TA check to be absolutely sure.

Unless I see something in writing I will get tested before my flight.  Ultimately it is the person checking you in that has the final say.  I thought about printing out the Iceland page with Moderna listed but I'm not willing to take that chance.

56 minutes ago, ejc14 said:

Unless I see something in writing I will get tested before my flight.  Ultimately it is the person checking you in that has the final say.  I thought about printing out the Iceland page with Moderna listed but I'm not willing to take that chance.

You’ll be wasting your time and energy getting tested before arrival in Iceland. Moderna is accepted. Just look at the government website!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKexplorer said:

I have a question concerning timing of tours. How long does the system require between bookings? For example if I have a tour from 9:00-12:30 what is the earliest I can book my next tour? If I have 5:45 dinner reservations can I book a tour returning at 5:00 or even later?

I'd love the answer to those questions too.  I'm not sure anyone knows, or has booked two for one day and/or noticed how much of a gap there had to be. As for your dinner question, however, I would think that 45 minutes between the two times would be OK.  Of course, occasionally a coach excursion will get back a little late - but usually not a whole lot late. And unless there are a number of excursions getting back at the same time, it normally doesn't take a lot of time to get back on the ship - maybe 10 minutes max?  I don't think there's any system tie-in between dinner and excursion bookings, so whatever you're comfortable with will likely work unless there's a real hiccup with the afternoon excursion you're on.  But with some luck, maybe someone else can give more specific info.

Just now, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'd love the answer to those questions too.  I'm not sure anyone knows, or has booked two for one day and/or noticed how much of a gap there had to be. As for your dinner question, however, I would think that 45 minutes between the two times would be OK.  Of course, occasionally a coach excursion will get back a little late - but usually not a whole lot late. And unless there are a number of excursions getting back at the same time, it normally doesn't take a lot of time to get back on the ship - maybe 10 minutes max?  I don't think there's any system tie-in between dinner and excursion bookings, so whatever you're comfortable with will likely work unless there's a real hiccup with the afternoon excursion you're on.  But with some luck, maybe someone else can give more specific info.

Oh, I just realized.  We have 2 or possibly 3 ports in which we have to tender to and from the ship.  That does add some time, so keep that in mind.  It could easily add a half hour or more, depending up how far the ride is. 

Clay did a post awhile back (sorry I don’t have the link) that said he was having trouble booking a tour due back at 5:00 pm because for various reasons his MDR reservations had to be at 5:45 pm and the system wouldn’t let him complete the reservation. I think he got it fixed by Viking.

Also, Joost on Viking TV last week said there’s only one tender port in Iceland.

10 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Some really good news for vacinated folks arriving in Iceland after June 15th:  https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/nature_and_travel/2021/06/02/vaccinated_tourists_not_to_be_tested_in_iceland_as_/

It would be nice if “mid-June” translated to June 14, as that’s the day we arrive for our land tour!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

It would be nice if “mid-June” translated to June 14, as that’s the day we arrive for our land tour!

It would be, but the official Iceland website says current rules in effect until June 15.  I hope they fudge a bit for you!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Clay did a post awhile back (sorry I don’t have the link) that said he was having trouble booking a tour due back at 5:00 pm because for various reasons his MDR reservations had to be at 5:45 pm and the system wouldn’t let him complete the reservation. I think he got it fixed by Viking.

Also, Joost on Viking TV last week said there’s only one tender port in Iceland.

Well, port in Seydisfjordur now has all Viking ships (Sky & Jupiter) assigned to a berth.  But that leaves Heimaey and Djupivogur as possible places we'll have to tender.  I'll do some snooping around to see if those places have cruise berths, and port schedules which show assignments.  Sometimes a place has only one cruise berth and a second ship will be assigned to tender...hopefully the latecomers to the rush to sail in Iceland! Djupivogur berth can handle ships up to 110 meters, and tender is 1 nautical mile according to Djúpivogur | Cruise Iceland  

Maybe when Joost recorded his program, Viking was not going to smaller places like Djupivogur and Heimaey.....the info doesn't sound right for these circumnavigation cruises.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 1

I put the shore excursions into a spread sheet so you can visually see how they would mesh together. I know times may be different for our cruise - but at least when they post I will have at least put together a potential game plan. All times for the free tours are in dark green. Hoping people will find it useful. I do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness so use with that in mind. Based on July 3rd sailing.

VikingTours.xls

Edited by AKexplorer
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Well, port in Seydisfjordur now has all Viking ships (Sky & Jupiter) assigned to a berth.  But that leaves Heimaey and Djupivogur as possible places we'll have to tender.  I'll do some snooping around to see if those places have cruise berths, and port schedules which show assignments.  Sometimes a place has only one cruise berth and a second ship will be assigned to tender...hopefully the latecomers to the rush to sail in Iceland! Djupivogur berth can handle ships up to 110 meters, and tender is 1 nautical mile according to Djúpivogur | Cruise Iceland  

Maybe when Joost recorded his program, Viking was not going to smaller places like Djupivogur and Heimaey.....the info doesn't sound right for these circumnavigation cruises.  

Joost’s recording was last week about this Viking itinerary.