Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

No.  You still have to enter your cc info.  We did E-check this time and saved about $50.

Are you saying we can use E-check for the payment of optional excursions and save the 3.3% like we do on the cruise fare?

1 minute ago, TayanaLorna said:

Are you saying we can use E-check for the payment of optional excursions and save the 3.3% like we do on the cruise fare?

Yes!  First time I’ve been able to do that.  But it is not available within 30 days of travel.  So when I booked another last week, I had to use the cc.

15 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

But delta gives you the hyperlink to that site so obviously they wrote their page expecting changes. 

It would be insane chaos if Delta did not accept Moderna.  Pfiser and Moderna were the ONLY two vaccines available in the US for the first vaccine months.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes!  First time I’ve been able to do that.  But it is not available within 30 days of travel.  So when I booked another last week, I had to use the cc.

Well if we can book our excursions over 30 days out...based on what we have seen, our excursion dollars spent may be quite hefty.

56 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

The Travel Requirement document we received from Viking yesterday says those who booked their own air travel should check the travel requirement to board of the airline they are using.

A question to all about the Travel Requirement document that Viking just sent out.

If you are working with a Travel Agent, did you receive the e-mail directly from Viking or through your TA?

TIA

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

A question to all about the Travel Requirement document that Viking just sent out.

If you are working with a Travel Agent, did you receive the e-mail directly from Viking or through your TA?

TIA

We received it directly from Viking.  Not sure if our TA received it as well.

Jerry

Iceland August 14 sailing

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Where is this Viking ad of which you speak?  The Viking FB page?  A Viking FB group?  Thx.

It came up randomly on FB as an ad for Viking. I am sure that the person who wrote a comment received an unsolicited phone call as well just like me.

We are close to bailing. Sue is checking hotels to fill the cruise week  Still considering the Portsmouth- Malta repositioning to burn what we have paid Viking as we do have the next 1-1/2 years booked with other travel. This should have been a pleasant experience! What I don't understand is who decided to treat the 7/17 cruise different than the first three. There were four initial offerings that should have mirrored each other.

3 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

It came up randomly on FB as an ad for Viking. I am sure that the person who wrote a comment received an unsolicited phone call as well just like me.

We are close to bailing. Sue is checking hotels to fill the cruise week  Still considering the Portsmouth- Malta repositioning to burn what we have paid Viking as we do have the next 1-1/2 years booked with other travel. This should have been a pleasant experience! What I don't understand is who decided to treat the 7/17 cruise different than the first three. There were four initial offerings that should have mirrored each other.

The addition of Jupiter changed everything.  Remember the first Jupiter cruise is July 13, 3 days after the July 10 cruse (which is now having problems getting extra excursions) and 4 days before the July 17 cruise.  Guides and buses that could move to different ports during a week's time now only have a few days, or more are required .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

What frustrates me is that we had a PV on the July 3 cruise and moved it before final booking to PV on July 17 because we wanted to be home for July 4th with family. Now I’m regretting the change. 

• Like 2

I did receive a call from tellus today.  Not much new,, but did reiterate the cruises that didn't have shore excursions yet would receive a Notification email and that all cabins would be able to book at the same time once the bookings opened up.  I questioned whether their IT system could handle the deluge and she admitted things might "slower than normal".

I also questioned how long it would take to get the FCC voucher to apply to a 2022 cruise that is getting close to final payment time.  She said it could take a week or more.  I told her our window is closing quickly.

7 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

What frustrates me is that we had a PV on the July 3 cruise and moved it before final booking to PV on July 17 because we wanted to be home for July 4th with family. Now I’m regretting the change. 

I feel for you! We had considered the earlier weeks but thought by the fourth cruise the rough edges would have been worn down - and all would be good.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MarkTapley said:

We received it directly from Viking.  Not sure if our TA received it as well.

Jerry

Iceland August 14 sailing

I'm a guest and a TA - received the "Know Before you Go" email at my personal address and my TA email address.

20 minutes ago, eldercruser1 said:

I did receive a call from tellus today.  Not much new,, but did reiterate the cruises that didn't have shore excursions yet would receive a Notification email and that all cabins would be able to book at the same time once the bookings opened up.  I questioned whether their IT system could handle the deluge and she admitted things might "slower than normal".

I also questioned how long it would take to get the FCC voucher to apply to a 2022 cruise that is getting close to final payment time.  She said it could take a week or more.  I told her our window is closing quickly.

That's disappointing. One of the reasons (albeit a small one) for booking a PS was for the early access to restaurant reservations and excursions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eldercruser1 said:

The addition of Jupiter changed everything.  Remember the first Jupiter cruise is July 13, 3 days after the July 10 cruse (which is now having problems getting extra excursions) and 4 days before the July 17 cruise.  Guides and buses that could move to different ports during a week's time now only have a few days, or more are required .

I believe that your conjecture is spot on. A self inflicted wound by Viking. Explains why 1st 2 sailings had excursions and suddenly the excursions went all quantum uncertainty as logistics changed.  Long land drives between excursion ports for guides, busses, whatever.
PLUS at that time other cruise lines like Silversea start cruising Iceland. Some aren't there taking up guides, etc. during the 1st couple viking cruises.

• Like 1

Here's something you should keep in mind if you're anxious about booking an excursion through Viking:

Iceland tourism has a fairly high reliance on foreign workers.  Foreigners fill a good amount of the unskilled positions that make the tourism industry in Iceland function.  The tour operators are having difficulties because they can't get enough bodies to fill all the positions. 

The same problems are popping up in Alaska, where the bulk of the tourism industry is staffed by people who live in the lower 48.  US workers can freely travel to Alaska for work and they're still having staffing problems.  Many workers see the squeeze not worth the juice this late in the season.

Europeans seeking summer employment in Iceland must reside in one of the countries that aren't on Iceland's COVID radar.  They must be vaccinated, and they have the equivalent of a green card to work in Iceland.  A number are ineligible for entry because of where they live.  The remainder have to go through the permitting process and have to wait for approval.  Iceland also does not have a minimum wage law.  Many of the foreign workers aren't paid enough to make the trip to Iceland worthwhile, so they'll just sit out the season.

In sum, don't get irritated with Viking.  They're doing the best they can considering the circumstances.

Edited by Donaghadee
typo
  • Like 4

Has anyone sailed on a repositioning cruise aboard Viking? We are starting to get serious with the "Iberia, the Mediterranean, and Malta" cruise aboard Viking Venus.  Sue is chatting with Viking for the second time right now.  Hearing today that the 4th Viking Sky cruise is close to capacity and with all of the removal of furniture from the public spaces, I would not want to switch if the Viking Venus has a similar situation and a similar configuration. Just found out that the shore excursions are still under review as well!  Leaves in less than a month!  30 Days till it sails.

Add in that they are planning on the availability of 930 passengers, full capacity.

Edited by Heartgrove

17 minutes ago, Donaghadee said:

Here's something you should keep in mind if you're anxious about booking an excursion through Viking:

Iceland tourism has a fairly high reliance on foreign workers.  Foreigners fill a good amount of the unskilled positions that make the tourism industry in Iceland function.  The tour operators are having difficulties because they can't get enough bodies to fill all the positions. 

The same problems are popping up in Alaska, where the bulk of the tourism industry is staffed by people who live in the lower 48.  US workers can freely travel to Alaska for work and they're still having staffing problems.  Many workers see the squeeze not worth the juice this late in the season.

Europeans seeking summer employment in Iceland must reside in one of the countries that aren't on Iceland's COVID radar.  They must be vaccinated, and they have the equivalent of a green card to work in Iceland.  A number are ineligible for entry because of where they live.  The remainder have to go through the permitting process and have to wait for approval.  Iceland also does not have a minimum wage law.  Many of the foreign workers aren't paid enough to make the trip to Iceland worthwhile, so they'll just sit out the season.

In sum, don't get irritated with Viking.  They're doing the best they can considering the circumstances.

Thanks for the analysis.  

No, I'm not irritated with Viking.  Just have some anxiety planning this trip.  We didn't use Viking Air.  I plan to redeem some of my Chase Sapphire travel rewards.  But I can't book flights until the excursion situation clears up.  So I have to monitor both MVJ and flight prices constantly.  

We have West Indies Explorer booked.  Sometimes I think it's just easier to wait until December to cruise again.  If so, I have to cancel by June 15.  

3 hours ago, gramfrog said:

Elizabeth, yes, this is all so frustrating, but don't fret.  I'm not sure if you have been on a Viking Ocean cruise, but prior to the pandemic the Viking Ocean ships tended to run full.  We have been on five such; the Cuba cruise, for example, had not a cabin left, nor did A New Year's Turquoise Seas.

We never had any real problem with finding lounge chairs in Wintergarden, and just some difficulty around the infinity pool open air at Aft.  Certainly not like the craziness on larger commercial ships carrying three, four, and five times as many people.  

Dining is not a super difficulty when the ship is full; just be flexible. Most likely, table spacing will not be measurably different than 2019.  Not will the buses; after all, we are all vaccinated.  Be prepared for that.  The spa was never a problem with a full ship. There is simply more square ft. per passenger vs. other cruise lines when sailing Viking (and yes, it does cost more for those square feet).  

I totally agree with you that their inside sales and the supervisors on the phone could VASTLY improve; since I need to speak to them several times a week (my career) I note the name of any particular agent and ask if they wouldn't mind sharing their four digit extension   if I have follow-up questions.  And yes, VIking keeps voluminous notes on anything you say, both to your gain and to your detriment. Just saying.  Use it to your advantage.

I agree with you gramfrog - the Viking ships are lovely.  This would be my 5th Viking Oceans cruise. 

What I don't think I made clear is that the requirement to social distance will no doubt change everything.

For example, the MDR --- if tables have to be 6 feet (or even 3 feet) apart, then fewer people can be in the restaurant at the same time, which means the 900+ passengers will have to be spread out over a longer opening time which may mean you won't be able to book your table when you want.  As I recall the tables used to be fairly close together, which we actually liked as we got to know more people aboard ship that way.  (Fortunately, we already have our dining reservations booked but others don't.)  If they move tables farther apart in the World Cafe, breakfast seating could be a challenge.

If they've removed seating in the Wintergarden to accommodate social distancing, fewer passengers will get in at tea time - my personal favorite activity.  A picture of the Explorers Lounge was posted on one of the CC boards a few days ago and lots of seating had been removed, so fewer people can be there at any given time.  I'm remembering those lovely areas on the pool deck where lounge chairs faced out to sea.  If they remove some of those to social distance them, then fewer of us can sit there.  Same goes for the Living Room area.  All public areas will have less seating to accommodate social distancing.

As far as the public "spa" area is concerned, we didn't used to have to book a time to go, we just showed up.  Now we have to book 45 minute time slots, which cannot be done until we board.  Viking has already announced the the public spa area will be "capacity controlled" which I'm taking to mean fewer people will be allowed in at any given time.

Even though yes, we will all be vaccinated, Viking has said we will need to wear masks when outside our stateroom and social distancing will be enforced for Iceland cruises.  This was stated in the Covid Protocols we all had to sign up for several weeks ago.  So, yes I do think there will have to be spaces left vacant on tour busses.  I think that's a big part of Viking's ShoreX problem - that they can't pack the tour busses, so need more tour busses.  With all the cruise lines entering the summer cruising season in Iceland, there's not enough busses to go around.  I think (but have no inside knowledge here) that the first 3 cruises were not totally packed, so they had enough ShoreX busses to go around.  But then they packed the ship for the fourth Sky sailing, so now they have a problem.  Of course, they could always relax the social distancing requirements, but that may be an Iceland government requirement outside of Viking's control.

So, I'll continue to fret about the lack of ShoreX.   The rest I can deal with, but I do not think it will be a wonderful shipboard experience like it was for our other 4 Viking Oceans cruises.

(Wonder if we'll have to wear masks in the public spa area?)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Donaghadee said:

Yes I understand that there is a shortage of seasonal workers.

I am upset with Viking as they oversold their product to us, the consumer. It is a corporation with a number of departments that should have taken all things into consideration. If they had sold the first four cruises and left it at that, chances are this situation would not exist. How could they not think that other cruise lines would not have the same idea? Are they gambling that with 19 departures they could tip availability to their favor?

If they had a refund policy like other cruise lines have, I could walk away. But they don't and if we cancel the Iceland cruise we will need to spend MORE money to use what they already have from us.

• Like 3

If nothing else, I would hope that outdoor spaces are not capacity controlled, with poolside seating being removed. The evidence is very strong that outdoor transmission with free air movement is incredibly unlikely, and that's with unvaccinated people.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Yes I understand that there is a shortage of seasonal workers.

I am upset with Viking as they oversold their product to us, the consumer. It is a corporation with a number of departments that should have taken all things into consideration. If they had sold the first four cruises and left it at that, chances are this situation would not exist. How could they not think that other cruise lines would not have the same idea? Are they gambling that with 19 departures they could tip availability to their favor?

If they had a refund policy like other cruise lines have, I could walk away. But they don't and if we cancel the Iceland cruise we will need to spend MORE money to use what they already have from us.

Just reminding that we're all guessing at what is actually going on, and what will actually happen once we sail. By treating our guesses as facts, we're just increasing the panic that is happening in this thread. i.e. you may be 100% correct.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, eldercruser1 said:

I paid for Iceland with a voucher. It was a voucher that I had used to pay for the cruise that was cancelled the very same morning that I booked Iceland. Iceland had to be paid for the very next. By the time my TA got on the phone to make the payment the next day, the voucher had been returned to my account and was available to pay for the new cruise.

I don't know what it means for your timing but I would not give up on the plan yet.