Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

39 minutes ago, Jaea said:

Tips from my sister-in-law who is half Icelandic:

Driving is on the same side of road as USA but study up on roundabouts and one-way signs. http://www.road.is/  If you use the parking meters you have to enter the license plate # of the car (car in Icelandic = bíll...sounds like beal)

Blue Lagoon: It might be beneficial to make a reservation. Allow 3 hours for the full experience. Get a mud facial. Bring a waterproof disposable camera.

Must do in Reykjavik: Settlement Exhibit, visit any bakery, enjoy a hot dog (made with lamb) at a hot dog stand, taste the homemade ice cream, walk around the pond in the center of town

Outside of town: Tour the geothermal plant (if allowing visitors). She says it's fascinating.

Most importantly, dress in layers and bring rain gear!

According to a well known source, cameras are frowned upon in Icelandic pools and thermal baths….right or wrong?

Don’t know if anyone saw this article 

https://www.icelandreview.com/nature-travel/volcanic-gases-cause-haze-and-breathing-issues/

Seems that current Volcanic activity is impacting air quality in Iceland.

Can’t seem to cut a break and finally get on a cruise.  Hope this doesn’t get too bad (for myself and others).  I cruise July 20.

4 hours ago, Cruiser1854 said:

Don’t know if anyone saw this article 

https://www.icelandreview.com/nature-travel/volcanic-gases-cause-haze-and-breathing-issues/

Seems that current Volcanic activity is impacting air quality in Iceland.

Can’t seem to cut a break and finally get on a cruise.  Hope this doesn’t get too bad (for myself and others).  I cruise July 20.

The day we left (June 29), we had a 5 pm flight, so we checked out of our hotel which was about 45 minutes NW of Reykjavik and decided to see what we could see down on the Reykjanes Peninsula. We drove down toward Grindavik, had lunch on the harbor there, then drove out the road toward the volcano. But vog started rolling in and just outside Grindavik it was socked in. We went as far as what may have been the access road toward the volcano but turned around and never got out of the car because you couldn’t see a thing. 

I would be concerned if you’re trying to see the volcano on a tour that you would be sorely disappointed. There’s not much to see now. And then there’s the vog issue for sensitive lungs and sinuses (mine included).

Edited by LindaS272

7 hours ago, janetcbl said:

According to a well known source, cameras are frowned upon in Icelandic pools and thermal baths….right or wrong?

My SIL admits she is not on expert on this topic as she’s never heard of it being an issue. That said, she thinks cameras are accepted at tourist spots like the Blue Lagoon. However, at local pools and spas, not so much. Taking a pic of “your gang” is one thing, but taking pics of the general public is another. Not sure if that helps…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaea said:

My SIL admits she is not on expert on this topic as she’s never heard of it being an issue. That said, she thinks cameras are accepted at tourist spots like the Blue Lagoon. However, at local pools and spas, not so much. Taking a pic of “your gang” is one thing, but taking pics of the general public is another. Not sure if that helps…

We were at the Blue Lagoon pre cruise and cameras are welcome. They even sell the waterproof phone cases on the site. Yesterday we went to the Husavik baths. Viking arranged it so it was only open for Viking guest and not the public. Cameras were allowed.
There are placards posted in the dressing rooms that no cameras are allowed in dressing rooms which should be obvious.

• Like 2

I have always prepaid gratuities on other cruise lines, but on one of the VO threads someone gave a reason for waiting to pay them at the end of the cruise. I remember thinking that it was a logical reason, but now I can’t find the post. Of course, I always give a little extra at the end to servers, cabin steward, etc.  is there anyone reading this thread that remembers that discussion?

6 minutes ago, shipster60 said:

a logical reason, but now I can’t find the post.

Was it Clay?  I think it was that they prepaid gratuities, but Covid turned their ship around after only a couple days of a 2 week cruise (or something like that).  Not sure they got the gratuities back for the unsailed days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shipster60 said:

I have always prepaid gratuities on other cruise lines, but on one of the VO threads someone gave a reason for waiting to pay them at the end of the cruise. I remember thinking that it was a logical reason, but now I can’t find the post. Of course, I always give a little extra at the end to servers, cabin steward, etc.  is there anyone reading this thread that remembers that discussion?

If you are referring to my post here is our reason. We had prepaid the gratuities. When we booked a second cruise onboard we were given a cruise credit good for the current cruise only and it would have been good for the gratuities but had already paid them. We ended up getting something in the shops just to use the credit. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shipster60 said:

I have always prepaid gratuities on other cruise lines, but on one of the VO threads someone gave a reason for waiting to pay them at the end of the cruise.

Also, if you pre-paid an excursion with a shipboard credit that was later cancelled by Viking (or yourself), I think the reinstated credit can be applied to gratuities.

10 hours ago, Jaea said:

Makes sense - scenery not people - bathing is a private affair.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 10:59 PM, Shelley34 said:

If you go to post 1464 there is a link to a pdf that lists all the excursions, times, and prices from the July 3 Iceland cruise which was provided by Viking.  Helped me a lot.

Just remember that all sailings don't necessarily have the same roster of tours and times.  

On 7/5/2021 at 11:06 PM, minka34 said:

Wondering if it will be ok to show up at the ship before 11am if on the first Jupiter cruise on July 13th?  Since no passengers will be getting off the ship, will we be able to drop our luggage off at say 9:30am?  I think we might find out since we booked a transfer to drop us at the port at 9:30. 😬  We may be wandering around Reykjavik with our suitcases for an hour or so.  Hoping there will be a place to drop them early at the port! 

Viking transfer on July 13 will probably go straight to the ship since cabins will already be clean and ready for occupancy.  

It is only subsequent tours that will have to hang out at Harpa Hall.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, minka34 said:

Was it Clay?  I think it was that they prepaid gratuities, but Covid turned their ship around after only a couple days of a 2 week cruise (or something like that).  Not sure they got the gratuities back for the unsailed days.

Was me.  We had prepaid (using refundable shipboard credit from our TA). Our transatlantic became a half transatlantic due to COVID and we returned to Miami. Our cruise was three days shorter than planned. Those who hadn’t prepaid hadn’t been charged yet so they didn’t have an issue.  However, it took me several phone calls and emails to get our 3 days worth back.  They finally called it customer retention or something so I think their system wasn’t set up to handle it.  So for that reason and the previous one mentioned (regarding onboard credits if you book a cruise onboard) we won’t do that again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Was me.  We had prepaid (using refundable shipboard credit from our TA). Our transatlantic became a half transatlantic due to COVID and we returned to Miami. Our cruise was three days shorter than planned. Those who hadn’t prepaid hadn’t been charged yet so they didn’t have an issue.  However, it took me several phone calls and emails to get our 3 days worth back.  They finally called it customer retention or something so I think their system wasn’t set up to handle it.  So for that reason and the previous one mentioned (regarding onboard credits if you book a cruise onboard) we won’t do that again. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Guess who arrived in Reykjavik from Denmark?  She's anchored a little north of the port.  The port website has her on the schedule for Sunday (July 11) at a Skarfabakki berth, with Sky at the other Skarfabakki berth.  Soon there will be two Viking ships cruising around 940339670_jupiterreykjavikanchor.jpg.a0c2e7c3da16ee5a8ce52a35a2dfd1a0.jpgIceland!

Geez, the Jupiter's webcam is Currently Not Available and hasn't updated since February. Will the first cruisers ask the crew to get it working please.

• Like 2

Printing out my Viking calendar for my 7/17 cruise and all my restaurant reservations have disappeared from MVJ.   Anyone have this happen?  Should I panic or wait to get onboard?

I do have a copy of my 'invoice' which does list them all.

Edited by id4elizabeth

9 hours ago, id4elizabeth said:

Printing out my Viking calendar for my 7/17 cruise and all my restaurant reservations have disappeared from MVJ.   Anyone have this happen?  Should I panic or wait to get onboard?

I do have a copy of my 'invoice' which does list them all.

Both my excursions and dining were gone at one point but then came back.  Just checked and they are still there.  I had print outs of both from the guest statement so i wasn't worried.

25 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Yes, several people confirmed that.  It's like it used to be.  I canceled my reservations.

R,

Is that wise? 

These earlier cruises are not at full capacity , whereas the later cruises, yours and ours included are likely to be at full capacity. We do not know what their policy will be on a full cruise. 

I think I will keep my 7:15 reservations just in case. 

N

5 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

R,

Is that wise? 

These earlier cruises are not at full capacity , whereas the later cruises, yours and ours included are likely to be at full capacity. We do not know what their policy will be on a full cruise. 

I think I will keep my 7:15 reservations just in case. 

N

Well, pre-Welcome Back, we never had any trouble getting in whenever we were ready to eat.  And half the time Howard wanted to go to the World Cafe rather than the Restaurant (and I loved sitting outside, so it was OK!  I don't know if we'll be able to eat outside much on THIS itinerary, but we're going to at least try!)   In any case,  I'm totally fine with having no reservations - except, of course for Manfredi's and Chef's Table!  At worst, I figure we might need to wait in a line for 5 minutes or so, which is fine.

I guess your trip is coming up soon.  You guys must be excited!  We haven't stepped on a cruise ship or taken a vacation since December 2019, so we're VERY excited!  And Howard just had a pretty serious scare with his back problems, so we were afraid we'd have to stay home some more.  But now it looks like he's fine and that we'll finally be heading out of town.

• Like 4