Spirit-Front facing or aft facing penthouse?

weloverunning

I am looking to pull the trigger on a once-in-a-lifetime cruise. Looking for pros and cons of front facing  versus aft facing.  The only things that comes to mind is whether the front facing is very windy and/or the aft facing is very hot in tropical weather. 

We have always booked inside.  Time to spend the rotten kids inheritance!!!

• Haha 1

this may or may not help, as each ship is configured a little differently. a few years back, we had a forward facing penthouse suite on the getaway. while we loved the ship, and the suite was nice, every morning we got woken up by the sound of the anchor being lowered. that my friend was annoying as h**l.

we also had an aft suite on the epic. only thing wrong with the cabin, is that the bed took up almost the entire space, and the bathroom/shower set up was ill conceived to say the least.

whichever  you choose, have a great cruise and most of all "BON VOYAGE"

other that these aforementioned problems, both cabins  were fine. 

We sailed Spirit, aft owners suite many years ago from Boston to Bermuda. It was my first aft, and I'm hooked.  The balcony was very narrow in the aft, but the views were amazing.  It was long enough ago that I don't remember if it was hot back there, but I seem to recall that it was not windy. I've never stayed in a forward suite, but did visit one (on the Gem) for a little party while we were sailing and it was very windy unless we were seated below the railing. My opinion is AFT on Spirit. Good luck with you decision and happy crusing!

I have stayed in the middle penthouse suite on deck 9 (I think) on the Spirit. I loved it.I love aft facing suites and have never felt they were particularly hot, unless the sun was shining directly on them. As others have said, there is virtually no wind when underway. 

On thing to consider - there is more vibration in the aft on the Spirit than on the newer ships but not enough to discourage us from booking it a second time. The vibration was most noticeable when the engines were starting as we were leaving port. We were not aware of the anchor being dropped in the morning or even the lines being deployed. It was certainly easier for us to deal with than the constant ship motion in the forward cabins. 

Not sure how it is configured on the Spirit, but I had a forward facing suite on the Sky and I would never do one again. It was always super windy plus the balcony wall was solid. You could not see over it if sitting. Had a few afts and loved them!!!

20 hours ago, spirit rev said:

I have stayed in the middle penthouse suite on deck 9 (I think) on the Spirit. I loved it.I love aft facing suites and have never felt they were particularly hot, unless the sun was shining directly on them. As others have said, there is virtually no wind when underway. 

On thing to consider - there is more vibration in the aft on the Spirit than on the newer ships but not enough to discourage us from booking it a second time. The vibration was most noticeable when the engines were starting as we were leaving port. We were not aware of the anchor being dropped in the morning or even the lines being deployed. It was certainly easier for us to deal with than the constant ship motion in the forward cabins. 

Yes, I think it’s  9212.  We crusised in that suite in 2013.  We loved it. Do remember the vibration a bit, as you said when leaving port. But did not bother us.  Loved the bathroom whirlpool tub and separate shower overlooking the wake. I don’t think the owners suite had the same set up but could be wrong.

We used the stairs nearby to get up to the pool areas and other outdoor spaces.  Very quiet back there. Spice H2O is above the aft cabins.  Something to consider.  When we were on the area was a kids pool, but we didn’t to hear much commotion.  

• Like 1

I did have a forward-facing suite on Spirit a few years ago.  It was suite 10001.  The balcony was very windy whilst the ship was underway which rendered it useless except when in port.   It was an important lesson to learn.  I'll never book a forward-facing suite again.

• Like 2

Spirit has forwarded facing suites on 10 and aft facing on 9.  The ones forward facing are like little apartments but yes, there would be wind while underway.  If sitting in a chair, your knees would be level with the break between the solid metal part on the bottom and the glass part for the top.

We stayed aft OS.  The balcony is tiny (not deep) compared to what is out there now, but there is at least one lounger sideways when we went.  No noise from above despite that being the kids pool at the time and a whirlpool above us.  That area all got changed to spice H20 and the kids pool area taken out and replaced with regular pool Feb. 2020.

We had severe vibrations (like everything in room shook) when the ship was going over about 20 knots.  There have not been many trips since the last drydock so not sure if that was fixed.

The OS does have a separate jacuzzi and shower.  The tub has two windows that do face out over the deck so you can see into the water while in it but probably for taller folks while seated in the tub.

Below you can see the balconies for the 5 aft suites and idea of what is above you - the whirlpools are still there but the kids area is a smaller rectangular pool.

spirit st maarten.jpg

Edited by dexddd

We were in Penthouse Suite 10000, a few years back.  The Balcony was long but narrow.  It was useless due to the wind.    At night all the cabin window curtains had to be drawn closed due to the lights and the reflection and interference with the bridge.  The cabin was very nice, and the service was great.   

Here is a picture a few months after the last drydock although it looks like they've removed all furniture from the aft suites from the balconies and from Spice as well.  Also looks like all loungers and tables and chairs removed from tiered seating area.

norwegian-bliss.jpg

Edited by dexddd

Just an FYI Not sure if the spirit  is the same but I had a front facing balcony on the jewel. The door is a bulkhead door and VERY heavy. I could not open it myself, especially when underway. Someone had to come and open it for me. When open, it had a heavy hook and eye latch to the outside side partition. Someone would come and close it before we left the dock. I would not get this set up again myself. YMMV

The aft balconies are the typical sliders, same as on the sides.

37 minutes ago, beau11 said:

Just an FYI Not sure if the spirit  is the same but I had a front facing balcony on the jewel. The door is a bulkhead door and VERY heavy. 

My forward-facing suite on the Spirit was the same:  Heavy bulkhead door with a steering wheel style opening device.  One had to have a certain amount of strength to open it.