Topless Sunbathing Deck?

NoNoNanette

Hi, Nanette,

My suspicion is that many European cruisers who feel like going topless on HAL probably do so on whatever sundeck they happen to be on. I have never seen any, but that's probably because I tend to cruise HAL in early May/late September -- to Alaska. If you feel comfortable doing so, there's nothing in the HAL regs to prohibit it.

Between this and your note in the dress code thread, you might be feeling more heat than love right now. So to divert attention from you, I will post about bringing children on cruises, specifically my quintuplet toddlers and my 18 yr old who I feel is mature enough to drink alcohol. Oh, and let's not forget my habit of rising at 6 am to save a deck chair with that bikini top I won't be needing. *Grins* That should buy you a little breathing room.

I have had wonderful cruises on HAL, and I have met many equally wonderful people. I'm certain you will have a splendid time.

Cheers,

Friday

I have had wonderful cruises on HAL, and I have met many equally wonderful people. I'm certain you will have a splendid time.

Cheers,

Friday

You sound like a love, Friday! (As do the several posters prior to you!):)

Dom and I will be fine on HAL. It's never been any other way. One makes their own fun, right?:D

"Hey - if guys can go topless, why not women?"

That's what a woman who went topless on a street on a hot day in Ontario said to a judge and he agreed. It is now legal in Ontario. (As is same sex marriage - what a bunch of heathens we are!!!) The men went nuts thinking they would be seeing boobs everywhere. NOT. Of course, now that it is legal, no one does it. I have yet to see a topless woman on a beach in Ontario. I don't see what the big deal is. I've seen topless women (I did it once in Spain) on beaches in Cuba. The women just do it on a beach, usually in a discreet way. They do not walk around topless to the beach bar or restaurant. Once the Canadian men get over the first day of ogling, they no longer even notice. My German cousins don't understand the North American obsession with nudity. They can't understand why we can watch violence and bloody gore on prime time TV, but a 1-second glimpse of a nipple on TV can make people go crazy. Nanette, find a quiet spot on the top deck, take your top off, and if any guys see you, hope that the defribillators work well in the infirmary.

FWIW, Celebrity has always offered topless decks. I would compare the two lines on par on many, many dimensions. On Celebrity, it's never a big deal and hardly advertised .... they choose a top deck that's a little out of the way of normal traffic and quietly sign the area as topless optional.

I'll remember this for the next time we pass a X ship at sea ... :) ... and I'll have my telephoto lenses ready. ";) ;) ... nudge, nudge ... say no more."

Hey ... it's MY vacation, ;) and I'll carry my digital camera wherever I want. :D

I heard that the aft deck on one of the recent cruises was to be the designated the "topless deck".

A few people I talked to said they didn't stay there very long. Everytime they went up there there was a large group of children, and some guy skeet shooting. :) *LOL*

See, one person always ruins it for the others :)

P.S. Hope your feeling much better RevNeal :)

In all seriousness, now ....

I know that some people do that up on the sky deck ... up high, above the Crows Nest. I've seen women sunning themselves topless up there ... and guys with nothing on doing the same. And, at night ... well ... at night "mating under the stars" is not to be found in the "Daily Program" but it is sometimes to be heard going on up there on that deck, in the pitch dark. I've gone up with my astronomical binoculars to do some star gazing and have heard "it" going on on lounge chairs elsewhere. Can't see a thing, though ... it's just too dark, except for when the moon is full. :eek:

I heard that the aft deck on one of the recent cruises was to be the designated the "topless deck".

A few people I talked to said they didn't stay there very long. Everytime they went up there there was a large group of children, and some guy skeet shooting. :) *LOL*

See, one person always ruins it for the others :)

P.S. Hope your feeling much better RevNeal :)

LOL ... I am, thanks. :D

And I'm enjoying the laughs.

In all seriousness, now ....

I know that some people do that up on the sky deck ... up high, above the Crows Nest. I've seen women sunning themselves topless up there ... and guys with nothing on doing the same. And, at night ... well ... at night "mating under the stars" is not to be found in the "Daily Program" but it is sometimes be heard going on up there on that deck, in the pitch dark. I've gone up with my astronomical binoculars to do some star gazing and have heard "it" going on on lounge chairs elsewhere. Can't see a thing, though ... it's just too dark, except for when the moon is full. :eek:

SEE !!!!!!!! SEE!!!!!!

I told my wife that guy couldn't see us behind all these piled up deck chairs *LOL*

Also in seriousness, This kind of thing happens in places some people wouldn't even imagine:) Both on cruise ships and on land :)

WOW, all i had to do was read the first 4 responses to the OP to realize that, i am sorry to say this, but at least the responses i read, you guys are down right rude! God forbid the OP could ask a question as this is what CC is for. Y'all seem extremely stuck up! This is only going to the first 3 or 4 replys i read, not everybody.

To the OP: I hope you enjoy your cruise, and try not tot let the stuck-ups bug ya!

all set to go.. as per the usual... digital camera at the ready for pics and mini videos... who said cruises are boring...

and since we'll be on that same December 3rd Volendam... can't wait for the floor show on the 'top-decks'... life is good!!! .. yippee..;)

Monkeystree.gif

Besides, if she's single, she's not your neighbor's wife and therefore not covered under the 'covet' clause.

I wasn't about to go there. :)

However ... since you have ... it should be noted that, in order to "covet" one must have the opportunity to act upon it. Coveting is an active verb, not a passive one.

Gee ... and all I was doing was joking about taking photos. Some people take themselves, these boards, and these subjects FAR TOO SERIOUSLY.

Very interesting, Rev. I did not know that. So merely walking by my neighbor's house (to save us all from more questionable examples), or seeing his car and wishing all of them plus his bank account were mine does not constitute coveting? I guess it comes back to the ol' lusting in the heart question. In my young Catholic days, the active/passive distinction was not made, at least not in my church.

Thanks for the new tidbit of info. :)

Cheers,

Friday

Rev. I did not know that. So merely walking by my neighbor's house (to save us all from more questionable examples), or seeing his car and wishing all of them plus his bank account were mine does not constitute coveting? I guess it comes back to the ol' lusting in the heart question. In my young Catholic days, the active/passive distinction was not made, at least not in my church.

To covet does mean to desire to have something or someone for one's self. It is, however, an active and realistic desiring. Coveting is only coveting when that which one desires is within one's theoretical ability or availability to TAKE. I might desire to own the moon, but I can't actually take it as my own. I might desire having Sean Connery's good looks, but there's nothing I can do to obtain his good looks for myself. Hence, neither of these actually qualify as coveting ... though they DO qualify as stupidity :D. Likewise, it is impossible for me to have a woman's breasts ... and, most especially, the breasts of a woman who is on a completely different cruise ship. I can't take them from her and wear them myself. Nor can I take HER from her husband and have HER for myself ... that is not within the realm of reality, ability, or availability, given that she is on a completely different cruise ship. If she were aboard the same ship as I, and I were looking at HER -- not just her breasts -- with desire, such would be "coveting" -- I could, in theory, do something to try and obtain her. But, in the limited, defined example (several posts above) in which it was hinted at that I was guilty of coveting, there is simply NO possible way in which it could be "coveting."

Now, there ARE regulations in the OT about lusting and seeing people "in their nakedness" ... and these do, indeed, apply. :) If one is intending to obtain eternal life by doing the works of the Law and not through Grace, such is a serious issue. If one is actually LUSTING in their heart for someone, then that is also an issue of which a person of moral character should beware.

In my case, I was not lusting nor coveting. I was having fun and being a little bit absurd in remarks about taking photos of the naked sunbathing deck on a passing X ship. For that I got castigated and accused of "coveting." See how these things go??? :) I can't be a little-bit naughty and have fun joking on the board without being beaten up by somebody who thinks I'm not being "proper." Oh, well ...as I've said before, so say I now again ... people who think and say such things NEED A CRUISE TO LIGHTEN UP! :)

There ... should I pass an offering plate?

Hmm, I actually interpreted the initial 'coveting' remark as wry tongue-in-cheek return humor, not as a serious accusation. I guess it's yet another example of how, sans such markers as facial expression, vocal tone and body language, it is very difficult to read the emotional timbre of posts.

I thought your comments re: cameras were quite funny and chuckle-worthy. If I've diverged off into theological debates, it's simply because intellectual curiosity (ok, curiosity in general) is one of my larger 'vices' (*grin*), especially where religion is concerned.

Speaking of snobbery, I tend to get lambasted for it by at least someone whenever I say what I'm about to say next, but here goes anyway. I am working on a doctorate in the field of psychology/cognitive science and religion. Virtually all of my psych training as been side-by-side with theology students in pastoral counseling programs. Theological debates have been in my blood since my first confession where I honest to God did ask the priest if I couldn't confess to God directly, instead of having someone between me and God. He told me that it wasn't really a problem, it just meant I was a Protestant.

So then, passing desirous thoughts about my neighbor's car, or some poster's next cruise that I wish I were on are covetous only if I *do* make plans to 'take' the things in questions, or only if I 'could" take them. Hence the car IS coveting, since I could steal it, but the cruise is not?

Cheers,

Friday

P.S. re: The offering plate, should we ever happen to be on the same cruise, I will very happily offer to buy you your choice of cognacs. Will that do instead? ;)

Archived