Captain

cruisnfool

Does it matter to the passengers who the Captain is?  Do you have any interaction with him/her/it?  Except to listen to some garbled and unintelligible announcement every noon. 

To me, as long as the Captain and his staff can drive the boat to the next port, I am fine.  The cruise director has an impact on me, but not the boat driver!  At least, so I feel.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Does it matter to the passengers who the Captain is?  Do you have any interaction with him/her/it?  Except to listen to some garbled and unintelligible announcement every noon. 

To me, as long as the Captain and his staff can drive the boat to the next port, I am fine.  The cruise director has an impact on me, but not the boat driver!  At least, so I feel.

I drink before noon too.  🙂

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Perhaps on a previous cruise, the OP, may have met Captain him/her/it.  Maybe had a dinner or a bridge tour and developed a good relationship.  

• Like 1

There was one captain, i think he was Norwegian and I always looked forward to his noon address.  i don't think he is with Celebrity any longer.  Other than that, I'm with Mike.  As long as he is competent, I don't mind who he is.

3 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

There was one captain, i think he was Norwegian and I always looked forward to his noon address.  i don't think he is with Celebrity any longer.  Other than that, I'm with Mike.  As long as he is competent, I don't mind who he is.

what about she or it?

Different folks experience different things. It makes a significant difference to me who is Captain.I’ve known and communicated with several Captains for years . If I am on a ship with them I will have some special experiences. For example, DW and I were invited to the Bridge for the Panama Canal passage to witness the Gatun locks . There were snacks available. This is only one example of how who was the Captain made a difference to me.

• Like 1

We've had the pleasure of meeting quite a few of the Captains.  There are some that stand out because they are very personable and welcome conversation when out and about.  They make the effort to come around in the Elite Lounge, they spend time in Al Bacio drinking coffee and welcome your approach.  There are others we never see and only hear their 'noon' announcements.  It makes one feel very appreciated when a Captain remembers you...it may not be by your name but by other means, i.e., the couple from Texas, or whatever. Yes, the Captain can make a difference and has for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I also agree that the key ingredient is a captain being competent.  I am annoyed at a captain who uses the noon address to advertise  shops on the ship, particular excursions, and come down to take a $$ photograph with the Captain.  Imagine flying down to your destination and  while in the air, the pilot making similar announcements.   

1 hour ago, keesar said:

I also agree that the key ingredient is a captain being competent.  I am annoyed at a captain who uses the noon address to advertise  shops on the ship, particular excursions, and come down to take a $$ photograph with the Captain.  Imagine flying down to your destination and  while in the air, the pilot making similar announcements.   

I wish more planes had shops..would make flying more enjoyable.  🙂  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 1