Reflection Movie on the Lawn

DSJ28

Several years ago we did the Movie on the Lawn on Reflection.  It was one of my top 5 most delicious experiences at sea.  On the Lawn, after sunset, a movie (Chef, 2014, Jon Favreau) was shown on the lawn.  Diners were assigned very comfortable lounge chairs and comfy blankets as well as headphones to hear the movie.  Best of all, as the movie went on and the movie chef served dishes on screen, diners were served corresponding dishes on the Lawn.  It was amazing and oh sooooo good!  The event took about 2 hours and cost only $20 or so. We learned about it from our waiter.  

Does anyone know if this is still available on Reflection or any other S ships?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DSJ28 said:

Several years ago we did the Movie on the Lawn on Reflection.  It was one of my top 5 most delicious experiences at sea.  On the Lawn, after sunset, a movie (Chef, 2014, Jon Favreau) was shown on the lawn.  Diners were assigned very comfortable lounge chairs and comfy blankets as well as headphones to hear the movie.  Best of all, as the movie went on and the movie chef served dishes on screen, diners were served corresponding dishes on the Lawn.  It was amazing and oh sooooo good!  The event took about 2 hours and cost only $20 or so. We learned about it from our waiter.  

Does anyone know if this is still available on Reflection or any other S ships?

We were on Reflection in 2019 and on Solstice in 2018 and 2020.  What you described sounds interesting but it did not occur on any of those cruises.

David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

We were on Reflection in 2019 and on Solstice in 2018 and 2020.  What you described sounds interesting but it did not occur on any of those cruises.

David

Is it possible you missed it?  We didn't know anything about it until the waiter told us.  It was not the best way to tell people about the event and only about two dozen people attended.  Still - it was awesome.  Since there are no other posts about the event, I suspect they retired it, which is a real shame.

28 minutes ago, DSJ28 said:

Is it possible you missed it?  We didn't know anything about it until the waiter told us.  It was not the best way to tell people about the event and only about two dozen people attended.  Still - it was awesome.  Since there are no other posts about the event, I suspect they retired it, which is a real shame.

I am sorry, I should have been clearer: this event did not occur to my knowledge during any of the 3 cruises.  

So yes, it is possible that I missed it all 3 times.  I just flipped through my scanned copies of the dailies for our 2019 Reflection cruise and 2020 Solstice sailing and do not see anything mentioned.   Again, as you pointed out, if it was poorly advertised/communicated, I might not have known about it.  

Our Reflection roll call was very large and active (Jan 4 2019 14 nt S Carib), I don't remember it being mentioned in the roll call or on board which would surprise me if it existed.

I hope I am wrong.

PS.  I also realized that our last Solstice cruise was to New Zealand in Jan 2020.  It was never warm enough during the evening to comfortably serve food on the lawn.  So maybe that data point should be ignored.

David

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

I suspect this event went the way of the wine and cheese with music on the lawn that was offered several years ago and is no more. You did have to pay for the wine, but cheese plates were complimentary. I think this was at least 10 years ago. 

1 hour ago, 39august said:

I suspect this event went the way of the wine and cheese with music on the lawn that was offered several years ago and is no more. You did have to pay for the wine, but cheese plates were complimentary. I think this was at least 10 years ago. 

We started sailing on X in 2012 and the first time we encountered the wine & cheese event was in 2014 or 15.  It was something I wish they had continued but it seemed to disappear after a few years

Our first Celebrity cruise was also 2012 and we had a "Jazz Under the Stars" night on the lawn while docked in San Juan.  Blankets, faux candles, wine and cheese under the stars while listening to a formal live jazz trio.  Still one of my favourite events ever out of all of our Celebrity cruises.  Have never been fortunate enough to find another evening event like this on any of the X cruises we have sailed since that first one.  The movie night that the OP was asking about certainly sounds interesting.

Edited by Reel Love

We were on Reflection in Nov 19 around the Caribbean and booked the movie on the lawn experience. 
We saw it advertised in one of the Dailies. There was quite a large number of different groups but it happened on one of the windiest of nights and food came quite late. But it was definitely something to try out. 

On 4/15/2021 at 9:13 PM, wendyam76 said:

They did it on Millennium class ships too. I’ve been looking at Edge menus and there is one for that in their press pack and I have vague recollections of it being offered in 2019.

But millennium class doesn’t have a lawn?